City Hall Suggestions/Ideas

Post any WEO game-related discussion topics here.

Moderator: Kenya

Kenya
Global Moderator

City Hall Suggestions/Ideas

Post by Kenya »

Hello there,
Firstly, I posted this here since not everyone is allowed to post replies in the City Hall forum, hehe. ^^"
And yes, there is a suggestions topic but we're thinking of doing some things with City Hall in the near future. I'd like to know if anyone has some suggestions on city hall/reporting, etc.
All ideas will be posted on the master list:

Master List:
~ Adding in a permanent ban option for the Sherrif
~ List of people that were banned (so no accidental permanent bans)
~ Banning from all worlds, not just World 1
~ Enter a date so they are automatically unbanned
~ Automatic screenshot button in-game
~ Have a certain number of points to be able to run for office
~ Can only run if they have an account on the forums
~ Explaination to what each of the jobs is for
~ Chat log in-game
~ Be able to see if you were hit/missed in the chat log
~ Have a normal banning system of just admins and/or mods

All ideas will be helpful! This topic will be stickied for a bit, then I'll debate on unstickying it. ^^
WEO Moderator since August 31st, 2010

If you need assistance please PM me.
SouthernStar
Adult Rabbit

Re: City Hall Suggestions/Ideas

Post by SouthernStar »

Having an automatic screenshot button ingame? Like in the top left corner of the window they'd be a button saying "Screen Shot" and it would take a picture and save it somewhere?

Cuz most people don't know how to Screen Shot, can't Screen Shot, or are just too lazy.
For science!
Quagga
Baby Gecko

Post by Quagga »

Laziness doesn't sound like much of an excuse at all.
Artwork: Tumblr
Alexander
Adult Rabbit

Post by Alexander »

There needs to be a set date/points as to when someone may become Mayor, Judge, and/or Sheriff, and, if there is a way to make this possible, they would also need an account on the forums. (Obviously to be able to discuss with the other members about a case that needs to be resolved)

I say date or points, maybe even both, because someone could play for a small amount of time, take a month or two off, come back, and they are able to select a job they want to run for. With points, it would be to make sure you are an experienced player, you know the community and what the majority wants, you really like how this game plays out, and, basically, you're ready for a better challenge, which is to be responsible for the bans and/or rules of players.

The recommended point range for me would probably be after you're able to obtain the Grey Wolf. To me it's fitting, though some may say it would take too long to get there, or some may say that it would be too easy to get there. The way you play the game is different, so am I saying it should be this way? No.

I believe that there should also be an explanation as to exactly what job each one possesses. Sometimes people have to ask what role each jobs take, so maybe explaining it somewhere would be helpful.

I think that a chat log of some sort would also help out with pointing out rude people's comments. Sometimes you catch what someone is saying, you aim for your screen shot (I need to press fn and prt sc, which are in two completely different places) and you just can't get it in time.
You can't get every single bad player in this game, but you can improve so that you have a greater chance.

I was also thinking that, again, if this is possible, for you and your animal only, to know when someone hits/misses/kills you on your chat log. Also making a difference between the missing of the attacking and picking up actions would be nice. Every new member that asks me to pick them up, they are always are afraid I'm attempting to attack them when I miss.
Got #1 high score for goats! Woohoo!
SouthernStar
Adult Rabbit

Post by SouthernStar »

Frustrating... why can't the administrator make the necessary bans/hire someone(who he trusts, obviously) to do it?

I mean, it seems so complicated and seems like one of the most worst ways to ban people. I'm not saying that weo should be like other sites, but I have never ever in my whole life seen a website that had such an ........interesting banning system...

If one person doesn't co-operate or quits the game, you won't be able to ban someone for a month. (Excluding the Mayor, who doesn't do any of the banning.)

If it were me, I'd scratch the whole banning plan and think of something better. If I had any ideas.

(Also a question, if someone made a video of someone else braking rules, could you still ban them? -random Q-
For science!
Kenya
Global Moderator

Post by Kenya »

SouthernStar wrote:(Also a question, if someone made a video of someone else braking rules, could you still ban them? -random Q-
I'd count it as proof. As long as they're screenshots/video-taping what was happening without altering it, then it would be fine.

Alexander
Adult Rabbit

Post by Alexander »

Inactive Judges and Sheriffs are indeed a terrible issue. It's happened before, and I'm sure we can all agree here that we don't want it to continue on like this. Either we need to figure out a way to work around this issue, or we may have to demolish the whole idea to make a new, more satisfying way of banning/disciplining people.
There are some black holes in this system, that of which needs tweaking or complete fixing. Nothing can be perfect, however, we can make it better.

This is just my personal assumption as to why the administrators do not vote for the players. I believe it is because they want the community to vote for who they can trust and take care of the community.

So how could we prevent inactivity from judges and sheriffs? Even if we pick the most active people around here, there are real world things around us that even we can't handle ourselves.

If we were to just take down this whole system, I would suggest a voting system from the whole community. It's not really all that perfect, but it's better than 2-3 people voting for the whole community as to what they should or shouldn't do about the situation, especially if they can't be active enough to take action right away. Downsides may be that it could be slower than really active Judges and Sheriffs and that people may take sides and be a pain to one another about it. That's at least what I think if I try to process it through my mind.
It would also prevent people whom just want to become one of these 3 jobs simply because it would be cool to. I don't know what people think about these jobs, but I personally think of them as something you want to be responsible for and knowing you can take it seriously.

Videos would be great. Depending on the situation, I find them more reliable than a screen shot.
Kenya
Global Moderator

Post by Kenya »

WEO and I were talking about that a loooooong time ago. I believe our solution to that was that the admins/mods would be able to access all Mayor/Judge/Sheriff places, in case of inactivity. But even then, that could only work for so long. xD

Alexander
Adult Rabbit

Post by Alexander »

It sounds like a great idea, actually. I mean if I were not a Judge or Sheriff, I'd gladly take over for someone that is inactive or unable to keep their job for an understandable reason.. or just happened to disappear.
And I could see you as a Mod being able to take over for someone's inactivity. It would help the community a lot.

So I guess we could keep our system, but we add in back ups just in case of the lack of activity?
SpiritQuest
Adult Bluebird

Post by SpiritQuest »

:oops: :shock: though this might not be my place to speak but all these ideas are great we just need others to agree.Everyone has awesome idea`s but combine them and that could possibly fill the ''bugs'' in the system simplifiying banning systems,order of jobs and might decrease the # of bans that are made every month.Sorry if this doesnt help the big question.
Summer the season of fun,Fall the season of peace,Winter the season of joy,Spring is the season that contains them all
With is your favorite?
SouthernStar
Adult Rabbit

Post by SouthernStar »

Alex, I'm not sure if you were suggesting the same thing or gave me an idea(Probably the former).

So the whole community has to vote on the forums whether or not someone should be banned and after 2-3 days the computer would either ban them or not, depending on how many people voted 'Yes' or 'No'.

Example:
Poll: Should -Insert Name Here- be banned?

- Yes.(5)
- No. (3)

Computer Announcement: According to the Poll, -Insert Name Here- has been banned for three days.

(If there aren't any votes after the due date of banning, it the poll will keep running for an indefinite amount of time until someone votes either 'Yes' or 'No'.

So is that what you were saying, Alex?
For science!
Alexander
Adult Rabbit

Post by Alexander »

(Sorry for delay, internet connection was on and off all day since I came home from school)
@SpiritQuest: Your ideas and suggestions are welcome here because you are a member of this community. Just because you're not well-known around here shouldn't make you think you don't have a right to speak. (:

I was trying to let ideas spark for ones whom want the system changed or altered so that it will work better.
For the voting system, that's basically it, yeah.

Again, not perfect.. but nothing really can be perfect. There will be trolls, there will be one sided discussions, all the like, but that's really unavoidable.
Anyway, I could see that if no one votes on the poll before the due date, maybe a message can go out to the Moderators.
We'll also have to lay out the possible times of ties between yes ban and no ban. The computer should not make a random decision. Maybe if there is a tie, the final decision could be decided by the Moderators/Admins.

Oh and about the inactivity between the Judges and Sheriffs. I was thinking it could be like the whole system starting with the President. If the President dies, the Vice President takes over. If that dude dies, then another dude takes over. If that dude dies, then the next dude takes over, etc.
It breaks the possibility of having someone staying inactive. Only having someone like a King in power with no Prince or Princess to take over when he's dead is a dangerous thing for the Kingdom.

I don't know d:
Kenya
Global Moderator

Post by Kenya »

I'd like to let you all know that the Judge and Sheriff now have the ability to view who is currently banned, and a list of given out warrants. Hopefully this new feature will stop people from being banned permanently by accident. ^^

Alexander
Adult Rabbit

Post by Alexander »

Sweet! Thanks to WEO for the add and you for the update, Kenya!

I wonder what else may be added. d:
Mook
Adult Mouse
Location: Walking through a store randomly hitting people on the head with an empty plastic water bottle,fun!

Post by Mook »

Kenya wrote: ~ Have a certain number of points to be able to run for office
I find this interesting. How would one earn points to run for office? Possibly by how active they are? this could help resolve the issue of inactive candidates. Possibly earning a point for certain amount of days logged in?
No Steps Backward.

Size 95 - 84857d