Debate/Discussion Topic

All other discussions.

Moderator: Kenya

SilentEcho
Hawk Chick

Re: Debate/Discussion Topic

Post by SilentEcho »

From what I can tell, that's probably a hoax.
If you don't know who I am by now, I'm just some girl who changes obsessions all the time.
Current Obsessions: Pokemon, TWD, Glee and The legend of Korra

Alexander
Adult Rabbit

Post by Alexander »

A large, large variety of UFO sightings are hoaxes or that people can't tell if something's a plane/helicopter or not. That happens especially around military bases, I think. There was a weird happening I noticed from UFO Hunters (a show) at one point where they went to Area 51. Something (dark?) was in the air at night and the base's lights for a landing was on. When the dark object flew close, all lights were turned off.. assuming that "thing" landed. I'm guessing it was a plane, but I don't even remember its basic shape.
I thought that was pretty cool. I mean, that's a pretty special sight, and probably the closest you can get to figure out anything else.
Got #1 high score for goats! Woohoo!
Alexander
Adult Rabbit

Post by Alexander »

Alright, let's make this discussion something interesting!

Lately I've been reading a lot of news articles related to North Korea. I'm sure most of you know of their repeated failure to successfully release a missile. Well, next thing you know they're having a birthday party and Poof! Oh look, there's a missile being shown off at their party!

What's next? Well, The South Korean President states, and I can't remember word for word, but it's basically how North Korea would spend millions (around 850 million) for a missile instead of feeding their people. To be honest, the South Korean President did make an honest "the truth hurts" statement. By the way, if you want to know how much food they could have bought from 850 million, some smart dude said about 2.2 tonnes of corn.

North Korea definitely took that to the offensive, claiming South Korea's insults as "an unforgivable sin" and are yet again threatening them. It seems like this time not only do they have a missile to show off but their threats have progressed in a matter of days. Today I read that they threaten to make South Korea into ashes within 3-4 minutes. They've also promised to kill the South Korean President and a number of government officials.

(Just for an added effect, going back to "making South Korea into ashes", I've read various comments and many people concluded that it wouldn't be very smart to do this sort of thing. North Korea would not at all be protected by whatever they threaten to do to South Korea.)

There are signs that North Korea is digging another hole, indicating that they may be creating their third nuclear test.

Also, apparently there is an "unknown source" telling Reuters (a news agency founded in London) that there will be another nuclear test from North Korea soon. This news article also stated that this same "unknown source" was correct about predicted past events, one of them being the first nuclear test back in 2006.

If you're interested, here's the missile they showed off earlier: Image

Well of course I could type this up all day if I wanted to, but I guess this is enough for now. Opinions?
animalguy888
Adult Gecko
Location: In the sky hunting for a hybrid between superman and bigfoot in an alternate universe

Post by animalguy888 »

Alexander wrote:Alright, let's make this discussion something interesting!

Lately I've been reading a lot of news articles related to North Korea. I'm sure most of you know of their repeated failure to successfully release a missile. Well, next thing you know they're having a birthday party and Poof! Oh look, there's a missile being shown off at their party!

What's next? Well, The South Korean President states, and I can't remember word for word, but it's basically how North Korea would spend millions (around 850 million) for a missile instead of feeding their people. To be honest, the South Korean President did make an honest "the truth hurts" statement. By the way, if you want to know how much food they could have bought from 850 million, some smart dude said about 2.2 tonnes of corn.

North Korea definitely took that to the offensive, claiming South Korea's insults as "an unforgivable sin" and are yet again threatening them. It seems like this time not only do they have a missile to show off but their threats have progressed in a matter of days. Today I read that they threaten to make South Korea into ashes within 3-4 minutes. They've also promised to kill the South Korean President and a number of government officials.

(Just for an added effect, going back to "making South Korea into ashes", I've read various comments and many people concluded that it wouldn't be very smart to do this sort of thing. North Korea would not at all be protected by whatever they threaten to do to South Korea.)

There are signs that North Korea is digging another hole, indicating that they may be creating their third nuclear test.

Also, apparently there is an "unknown source" telling Reuters (a news agency founded in London) that there will be another nuclear test from North Korea soon. This news article also stated that this same "unknown source" was correct about predicted past events, one of them being the first nuclear test back in 2006.

If you're interested, here's the missile they showed off earlier: Image

Well of course I could type this up all day if I wanted to, but I guess this is enough for now. Opinions?
This is an interesting article Alex. Thanks for sharing. Now im curious to find out if its going to start a war or not.

"There is beauty in every Creature, Stone, and Plant. To find it you Just have to look for It."

Click here if you dare!...

Alexander
Adult Rabbit

Post by Alexander »

animalguy888 wrote:This is an interesting article Alex. Thanks for sharing. Now im curious to find out if its going to start a war or not.
Thanks Animalguy. I'm still reading on because tensions really are running high for the Korean peninsula. If anything, even China is telling North Korea to back down, but NK is not even listening and throwing threats at South Korea. I think at one point they threw a threat at the US, but I have yet to find this in any other article. If anything, NK would most likely threaten us because we suspended the Food Aid.
What's interesting is that we were giving them food that is feeding mainly their soldiers. It seems like NK is definitely risking their main population of which have been in malnutrition since the 1990s in order to be seen as powerful and scary.
If you're interested you can take a look in "Inside North Korea" by National Geographic, if you haven't already seen it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxLBywKrTf4

If I get any news about some action coming forward, I'll let it be known. All that is going as of now is SK getting ready for anything to come their way, while NK is picking up their training and promises to taking down President Lee's (SK's President) Administration.

It could always just be the whole "Lol, North Korea is just being threatening again. No problem." but I feel like it's a little different this time.
Alexander
Adult Rabbit

Post by Alexander »

Just found out that Japan & South Korea might make a sort of Defense Pact. It took a while for them to officially ally each other. I guess it's nice to see Japan wanting to step up for South Korea.
Though I also agree with these guy's concerns about such a thing. They're signing a Military Pact in a "Just in case" North Korea actually does attack (for once). This could provoke North Korea into actually doing it.
"... even if the pact is necessary, openly discussing the matter only spells out problems for national defense."
Kenya
Global Moderator

Post by Kenya »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM6azIwmfAY

Anyone seen that (not sure if its been debated yet)? I personally think it just a bear with a fish, since the more you look at it the more it seems like it really is just a bear.
WEO Moderator since August 31st, 2010

If you need assistance please PM me.
Alexander
Adult Rabbit

Post by Alexander »

I think it's a bear carrying.. something. A fish, something.
It does look like tusks though, oddly enough. xD
Foxesrule
Cardinal Chick

Post by Foxesrule »

Hmm... It looked like a bear and a mammoth...
Your neighbourhood moderator.
Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or just want to chat. c:
what am i doing with my life..?
shadow-wolf
Adult Bluebird

Post by shadow-wolf »

Hmmmm lets vote ? I vote for its a bear with fish!

Bear with fish 3 Mamoth 0
animalguy888
Adult Gecko
Location: In the sky hunting for a hybrid between superman and bigfoot in an alternate universe

Animals in History that will be Missed

Post by animalguy888 »

Foxesrule wrote:I will miss:

Every single animal that has died or became extinct... Because they are all brave, strong, beautiful and all have feelings. Just like us.

(I've just been posting R.I.P on the Chicken Smoothie forums about my pets who have died...It's a veeery long list. Well, I couldn't rmemeber most of them. xD)

Actualy animals don't have emotions the same way we do. Were are the only creatures on the planet to have devoloped consionsness. That is what sets uus apart from other creaturs, We are intelegent enough to have emotion,thoughts,and feelings.
Anyway the extinct creature I miss the most would have to be the dire wolf. The extinct creature I can happily say goodbye to would be the megoladon. Nothing but giant jaws of death. It jaws are big enough to swallow a large group of humans whole. Its favorite thing to do was hunt down whales. If it was alive today It The waters wouldd be even more threatning that jaws tries to make them out to be. Also The Species I want to save the most would be the bluefin tuna. Countless attempts have been made to stop overfising and other human causes for the decline of bluefin. However these attempts are being blocked by japan and its unreasonable demand for the bluefin even though it's an endangered species.Withen in 5 years from now the bluefin tuna will become extinct.

Anyway that is my list of animals i want to save,animals I will miss,and Giant predators I am happy about being extinct.

"There is beauty in every Creature, Stone, and Plant. To find it you Just have to look for It."

Alrai
Baby Gecko

Re: Animals in History that will be Missed

Post by Alrai »

animalguy888 wrote: Actualy animals don't have emotions the same way we do. Were are the only creatures on the planet to have devoloped consionsness. That is what sets uus apart from other creaturs, We are intelegent enough to have emotion,thoughts,and feelings.
That is a very bold statement, animalguy88, to say that humans are so much more special than other animals such that only we have emotion, thoughts, and especially consciousness. I encourage you to read some, if not all, of this article as seen in the Stanford encyclopedia. http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/consciousness-animal/
Despite all this work, the topic of consciousness per se in animals has remained controversial, even taboo, among scientists, even while it remains a matter of common sense to most people that many other animals do have conscious experiences.
"Always be present."
-?
dinoman
Adult Mouse

Post by dinoman »

animalguy888 wrote:

Every single animal that has died or became extinct... Because they are all brave, strong, beautiful and all have feelings. Just like us.

(I've just been posting R.I.P on the Chicken Smoothie forums about my pets who have died...It's a veeery long list. Well, I couldn't rmemeber most of them. xD)

Actualy animals don't have emotions the same way we do. Were are the only creatures on the planet to have devoloped consionsness. That is what sets uus apart from other creaturs, We are intelegent enough to have emotion,thoughts,and feelings.
Anyway the extinct creature I miss the most would have to be the dire wolf. The extinct creature I can happily say goodbye to would be the megoladon. Nothing but giant jaws of death. It jaws are big enough to swallow a large group of humans whole. Its favorite thing to do was hunt down whales. If it was alive today It The waters wouldd be even more threatning that jaws tries to make them out to be. Also The Species I want to save the most would be the bluefin tuna. Countless attempts have been made to stop overfising and other human causes for the decline of bluefin. However these attempts are being blocked by japan and its unreasonable demand for the bluefin even though it's an endangered species.Withen in 5 years from now the bluefin tuna will become extinct.

Anyway that is my list of animals i want to save,animals I will miss,and Giant predators I am happy about being extinct.
I'm not sure if I should report this or not, so I'll just rage angrily about you thinking humans are superior... :evil:
animalguy888
Adult Gecko

Post by animalguy888 »

dinoman wrote:
animalguy888 wrote:

I'm not sure if I should report this or not, so I'll just rage angrily about you thinking humans are superior... :evil:
I don't. I love animals but It is a scientific fact that animals do not have consciousness.
There is no scientific consensus on emotion in animals, that is, what emotions certain species of animals, including humans, feel. The debate concerns primarily mammals and birds, although emotions have also been postulated for other vertebrates, and even for some invertebrates.

Animal lovers, scientists, philosophers, and others who interact with animals have suggested answers, but the core question has proven difficult to answer since animals cannot speak of their experience. Society recognizes that animals can feel pain, as demonstrated by the criminalization of animal cruelty. Animal expressions of apparent pleasure are ambiguous, as they could represent emotion or simply innate responses, perhaps for approval or other hard-wired cues. This ambiguity is a source of controversy as there is no certainty regarding which views, if any, reflect reality. That said, extreme behaviourists would say that human "feeling" is also merely a hard-wired response to external stimuli.

In recent years, research has become available which expands prior understandings of animal language, cognition, tool use, and sexuality. Emotions arise in the mammalian brain, or the limbic system, which human beings share in common with other mammals, as well as many other species.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotion_in_animals
Scientists (and philosophers) do not have an objective, universally accepted test for sentience (roughly "self-awareness") that characterizes the human conscious mind, so my answer is: nobody can prove one way or the other. Certainly many animal lovers will insist they do. Others will just as certainly insist they do not.

I think it is safe to say that the lower animals do not. Creatures less sophisticated than jellyfish (for example) essentially have no real brain and no discernable "thought" processes. More advanced species exhibit problem-solving and advanced learning behaviors, but that can not be proved to reflect consciousness as we can program computers to "solve" and "learn" similar things.

It is clear that the more advanced mammals have very complex behavior patterns and some appear to have human-like emotional responses, but, by most analyses, this is insufficient to conclude "consciousness" (of the same type as humans) with certainty
http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/13792

I never said we were better than animals. First of all we are animals because we are not plants or rocks. Second I just said that animals are not as not intelegent as us. Meaning they do not have consciousness,they do not invent machines to solve everyday problems,and the do not have many if any emotions. Again im not saying were better im saying were different intelgence wise.

Grep42
Adult Gecko
Location: Cretaceous Mongolia; Hanging with my velociraptor friends.

Post by Grep42 »

animalguy888 wrote:
dinoman wrote:
animalguy888 wrote:I will miss:

I don't. I love animals but It is a scientific fact that animals do not have consciousness.
There is no scientific consensus on emotion in animals, that is, what emotions certain species of animals, including humans, feel. The debate concerns primarily mammals and birds, although emotions have also been postulated for other vertebrates, and even for some invertebrates.

Animal lovers, scientists, philosophers, and others who interact with animals have suggested answers, but the core question has proven difficult to answer since animals cannot speak of their experience. Society recognizes that animals can feel pain, as demonstrated by the criminalization of animal cruelty. Animal expressions of apparent pleasure are ambiguous, as they could represent emotion or simply innate responses, perhaps for approval or other hard-wired cues. This ambiguity is a source of controversy as there is no certainty regarding which views, if any, reflect reality. That said, extreme behaviourists would say that human "feeling" is also merely a hard-wired response to external stimuli.

In recent years, research has become available which expands prior understandings of animal language, cognition, tool use, and sexuality. Emotions arise in the mammalian brain, or the limbic system, which human beings share in common with other mammals, as well as many other species.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotion_in_animals
Scientists (and philosophers) do not have an objective, universally accepted test for sentience (roughly "self-awareness") that characterizes the human conscious mind, so my answer is: nobody can prove one way or the other. Certainly many animal lovers will insist they do. Others will just as certainly insist they do not.

I think it is safe to say that the lower animals do not. Creatures less sophisticated than jellyfish (for example) essentially have no real brain and no discernable "thought" processes. More advanced species exhibit problem-solving and advanced learning behaviors, but that can not be proved to reflect consciousness as we can program computers to "solve" and "learn" similar things.

It is clear that the more advanced mammals have very complex behavior patterns and some appear to have human-like emotional responses, but, by most analyses, this is insufficient to conclude "consciousness" (of the same type as humans) with certainty
http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/13792

I never said we were better than animals. First of all we are animals because we are not plants or rocks. Second I just said that animals are not as not intelegent as us. Meaning they do not have consciousness,they do not invent machines to solve everyday problems,and the do not have many if any emotions. Again im not saying were better im saying were different intelgence wise.[/quote]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Animals do create tools to do their biding. For chimps, a simple twig. For crows and ravens, pretty much anything. For dolphins/killer whales, bubbles. I say animals do have emotions, you can tell when a dog is unhappy. To say animals don't have conciseness is to say that they are machines. They do think, they do have emotions. It's easy to see why and how. Also, how do you think we came to be. I don't like pressing evolution on people, but conciseness doesn't magically appear in our heads. Our conciseness is merely more advanced.
Vegan: The other white meat.