Young Dracula

All other discussions.

Moderator: Kenya

Are you interested in watching Young Dracula?

Yes!! This definitely sounds like something for me!
No votes
Yes, sounds interesting
No votes
Maybe
No votes
Probably not
40%
I've already seen it, I'm a total fan
40%
I watched it, and didn't like it at all
20%

Total votes: 5

Vargen Saphia
Adult Cardinal

Young Dracula

Post by Vargen Saphia »

Hello. This topic is for any discussions about the CBBC series called "Young Dracula".

Genre: Teen drama, supernatural drama, (fantasy)

Filmed in the UK (Wales), each episode about 25 minutes long, the series follow the Dracula family, a family of vampires:

Vladimir (Vlad),
his father Count Dracula,
and older sister Ingrid
+ their human servant Renfield
and the stuffed, talking wolf called Zoltan.

Count Dracula, is forced to move from Transylvania to a castle in Stokely, England with his children Vlad and Ingrid and his servant, Renfield. Vlad has no wish to follow in his father's footsteps in becoming an evil, fully fledged vampire. On the other hand the (human) Branagh family's youngest son,
Robin Branagh is a passionate vampire fan who Vlad meets when... [spoiler]

Count Dracula's son Vladimir, want most of all just be a normal person, which is not so easy when you are the son of Count Dracula.
Vlad's sister Ingrid is all Count Dracula wants Vladimir to be, she wants nothing more than to fill 16 because then she'll becomes a full-fledged vampire,
but the fault, according to the Count, is that she is a girl. Robin is a real "vampire geek" who would love to switch his life with Vlad.
When Vlad and Ingrid start school in their new town, there's just a small problem when they find out that their woodwork teacher, Mr. Van Helsing is a vampire hunter.
Vlad: All my life, I've wanted to fit in. To be ordinary. So I thought moving to a new town would be my chance. A chance to be normal. But I was forgetting one little thing: I'm a vampire.
Vlad: Can we have something normal like a hamburger?
Count Dracula: A person from Hamburg?
Vlad: No!
[spoiler]: If this is science, I'm a banana.
Note! If this sounds interesting, and you want to watch it on YouTube, remember to search "Young Dracula season 1 episode 1" and not just
"young dracula episode 1", cause otherwise a lot of random episodes from random seasons are gonna pop up.

In 2007 Young Dracula won the Royal Television Society Award for Best Children's Drama, and the Welsh BAFTA for Best Children's Drama.
In 2008 Young Dracula was nominated for the BAFTA Children's Drama Award.

A fourth series has now been commissioned. Filming began in April 2012 and ended July 2012 for the premiere in October 2012.
According to HMV, Tesco and other shops selling media, DVD's are to come out between the 8th and 10th of October 2012.

Underlying themes: (important!)

The series encompasses a lot of things that many schoolchildren find difficult. On the series' own webpage there is information on moving house, which can be stressful for young people. One of Vlad's early concerns is having to adjust to living away from his native country and speaking a new language in order to pass as a "normal" human, which of course is all he wants to be. There is divorce and adultery in both the Dracula and Van Helsing households and in each, the children despair at how out of touch their respective fathers are on realistic, modern-day life - a complaint of many young teenagers.
Vlad, Jonathan and Robin feel isolated not only from outsiders but from the rest of their families, where by contrast Ingrid, who really wants to be a vampire, rages at the preferential treatment her brother receives from their father despite her greater skills and better grades at "vampirism", so that she feels even less at home within the culture she should be flourishing in. Above all, difficult, irregular and complicated family relationships (a trait that Vlad, Ingrid, Robin, Chloe and Jonathan all share, despite the fact that they are otherwise quite different characters) is an ongoing theme that makes it in yet another way more familiar to modern young viewers, whilst at the same time being unafraid, in the second series, to have an element of darkness in it and so make it different from quite a lot of other children's series of the time.
ImageImageImageImage
Vargen Saphia
Adult Cardinal

Re: Young Dracula

Post by Vargen Saphia »

I introduced this show to my friend last Friday, she loved it, but we didn't even get halfway through part 1 of episode 1. She said seen one episode earlier, like a year ago, when it was on TV, but she didn't know which episode or which season.

So today, when we had a 1 hour break, we watched the full episode 1 and halfway through episode 2. She said she couldn't wait til next time.
ImageImageImageImage