Story-What do you think?

All other discussions.

Moderator: Kenya

Foxesrule
Cardinal Chick

Story-What do you think?

Post by Foxesrule »

I was just bored so decided to write a story. It isn't finished yet.

It was when Luke was only 2 he was given Sandstorm as an egg. Given a sandy-coloured egg the size of a Quick bird, the only known animal in the desert not to be harmed by quick sand.
“This...” his parents had said. “Is your soul-dragon. Your dragon. Forever.”
“Me... Dwagwon.” He had replied. He didn’t know how to pronounce words properly then. “Fworwever.”

On his 3rd birthday, which was soon after, the egg had started to hatch. Cracks, growing bigger and bigger. Finally, a hole appeared and the egg tooth poked out of it. Luke had seen the vicious sandstorm outside. The dragon climbed easily out of the egg, the colour of the sand.
“Sandstorm.” Luke had announced, and so his dragon got his name. They had grown up together. When Luke was 5, Sandstorm could fly. When Luke was 13 years old, Sandstorm had officially become a teenager dragon.

“Luke.” His parents had announced. “It’s time to live on your own. Your dragon will help you survive.” Luke nodded, open mouthed, while his mum’s dragon, Beauty, barked a goodbye to them. He had climbed on to Sandstorm to meet his two best friends, Rachel and Ben. He had strapped his arms and legs on to Sandstorm with the hardest rope imaginable. (Desert dragons flew so fast, you had to otherwise you would fall to your doom) and ordered fondly:
“To the den, quick!” his best friends had promised to meet him there. The den was a black cave only him, Sandstorm, his best friends and their dragons knew about. A minute later, they arrived.
“Hi, Luke.” Ben welcomed.
“Sandstorm seems to be really good at flying!” Rachael grinned. Rachael’s dragon, Sapphire nodded.
“Has Sandstorm talked yet, Luke?” Ben asked, curiously.
“Nope, not yet. Desert dragons only talk when they’re young adults, not teenagers.” Ben replied. Ben sighed.
“Oh.”
“You should’ve known that!” laughed Rachael so hard; Luke had to hold her in case she fell down. “Even my little brother, who is 3 years old, knows that!” Ben sighed again.
“So, didn’t we say we would live together?” Added in Luke quickly, blushing a bit. Both his friends nodded, and Ben’s dragon, Fang, blew fire out of his nostrils in agreement. Sapphires unusual, beautiful blue eyes shone, as if to say ‘Yes!’
“And hadn’t we said we would live in the den as well?” added Ben. They all nodded and walked into the den quietly, whistling to their dragons.

“I’m hungry...” Rachael moaned.
“So am I...” Ben moaned. “Luke... Can you get some food?”
“And some drinkable stuff?” Rachael added. Luke sighed, nodding and wordlessly walked out of the den, Sandstorm at his side.
“Sandstorm.” Luke whispered quietly to the desert dragon. “If you catch that Cactus bird over there, I can make it into some delicious meal for you.” Sandstorm nodded and unsheathed his talons, flying over to the spiky and large ostrich-like bird. It was two metres high, but easy for a teenager dragon to catch. He flew up as high as the clouds in the sky, and plummeted towards the Cactus bird, a lot faster than a peregrine falcon. It didn’t have time to be scared. When Sandstorm landed on it, he hardly flinched from the spikes- His scales were very, very, extremely hard. He bit its neck, blowing fire at the same time. It quickly died.
“Good.” Luke congratulated the hard working dragon. He left it in a hole under the near-by cactus for now, put on his extremely hard gloves and got his knife out, cutting the cactus in two. He got out a container from his handy pocket and the liquid inside went into the container. After that, he picked some berries from the cactus. Cactus berries were a delicacy in the desert- providing cactus juice as well as the delicious food. They were about the size of a black berry. (The food, not the phone!) Luke was lucky to find 50 on this cactus. Some had none at all. Asking Sandstorm to carry the cactus bird back to the den, they had a race on the way back. Since they were running at high speed, Sandstorm got back to the den in a minute, while it took Luke five minutes. “Luke, I made a fire to keep us warm and to cook some food.” Ben announced. “Can I have some help getting this cactus bird ready for the dragons? They won’t eat cactus berries, and we’re vegetarians.” Luke asked. Rachael nodded and helped him to get the feathers off (The feathers would be made into clothing for themselves or the dragon.) and the spikes, which would be made into a weapon or for something the dragons could use as a weapon. Sandstorm had already eaten the neck, while Fang was munching away at the neck. Ben put the meat next to the fire to roast for a couple of hours. The three friends ate their share of the berries and by the time they had all finished, the bird was nicely roasted. “You three dragons, it’s time for your tea!” Rachael shouted and the three dragons dived for the meat. Realising how dark it was outside and how cold it was getting, he walked to one of the other rooms in the den to get changed. His fluffy, warm night clothes were already there, so without hesitating, he got changed. When he had got his night clothes on, he grabbed his sleeping bag (It was with the night clothes) and walked back into the main room, to find Ben and Rachael curled up in their sleeping bags, dragons lying with them, but they still weren’t asleep. Luke got into his sleeping bag and Sandstorm climbed in, warming him up. You see, in the desert nights are very cold, because in the day when it’s very hot, there are no clouds to stop the heat from escaping. That means in the night, there are no clouds to keep the cold out.
“Should we tell stories?” asked Rachael. “I’m not tired...”
“Sure!” Ben shouted, cheerfully. “Luke, do you know a story?” Luke nodded, and prepared his voice.
“One day, there was a man with his dragon shouting ‘Help me! Somebody help me!’ because an unknown person with a purple dragon was trying to kill his dragon-And the man. They succeeded and every day, they killed another victim, until a month later, when they had killed 31 people and dragons, a dragon knight came, with a person from far, far away, where there are no cactuses, in a land full of lush forests, not at all like the desert. He had a green dragon. It was slower than desert dragons and not as well adapted, since it lived in forests. The two people fought the person and the purple dragon. They won. ‘Fine!’ shouted the unknown person and his dragon. ‘We’ll go! But this isn’t the last of us! We shall come back’ and added with a grin. ‘For revenge.’” Rachael and Ben gasped:
“Wow! Can you tell us the rest?”
“Sorry, that’s all there is in the story.” Luke yawned, deciding it was time to go to sleep. “Good night.” Rachael put the fire out with some of the cactus juice he had got in the day time, and he fell asleep almost instantly.

The next normal-for-a-desert hot morning, Luke noticed something wasn’t there. The missing thing was standing outside of the den, snarling and growling. He heard voices, not just the loud snoring of Ben and the gentle breathing of Rachael. Fully grown men. Getting out his sleeping bag, Luke shakes Ben and Rachael to wake them up. They instantly knew what was happening and ran to the entrance of the den. Men were throwing ropes around their dragons, Sapphire and Fang already in a cage. The men were wearing black and Luke instantly knew who they were: Dragon catchers! Dragon catchers, well, caught dragons. They went far to an unknown country for most people in the desert. Those people there ate dragons, desert dragons being a delicacy. They were also kept in things called zoos, a prison for all creatures apart from humans. The humans simply paid to look at them. Anger flared up inside Luke’s chest. How dare they steal dragons to put them in a prison or to be eaten by foreign people! Luke could see in his two friend’s eyes that they were furious as well, Rachael preparing her fighting moves. The dragon catchers glared at them, saying without words: Don’t you dare come near; we will seriously injure or kill you. These dragons are ours now. Rachael didn’t care about the threat, she simply charged at one of the men. They were weaker than they looked, since one fell over and crawled on his back to get away. One of the other men smirked and threw Rachael on the ground, drawing his knife. Perhaps it was only the man that had now fled that was weak. The third one was probably a coward, since he had ran away with the one Rachael had attacked. Luke lunged for the only man left, attempting to snatch the knife. He swiftly dodged it and cut Luke’s arm. Luckily, Luke was in his thick bed clothes, so the knife only cut through the material. Sandstorm leapt onto Luke’s attacker, growling furiously. The man-Luke was calling him Mike in his mind- cut Sandstorm’s snout with the knife. It was only a little scratch due to Sandstorm’s hard scales, but it still hurt. Sandstorm quickly blew fire on Mike’s hair, burning some of it off. Mike put some water he had put in his pocket to douse it before the fire spread all over his body. Mike was obviously giving up now, since he was trying to push Sandstorm off to get away.
“Off.” Luke ordered calmly to his dragon, so Sandstorm obediently crawled off Mike, still glaring at him. The man started to run away, and Luke helped Rachael off the sand, surprisingly not panting.
“Are you ok, Rachael?” Luke asked calmly.
“Yeah, I’m fine!”grinned Rachael. “Anyway, those thieves must have left the keys around here somewhere.” Ben (Who was just staring at the previous event.) Shook his head.
“These sorts of cages don’t have any type of lock on them. We just need to open the door.” Ben corrected. So Luke simply opened the doors to the cages, and the dragons rushed out, almost purring.

So, if you've been bothered to read it all so far, what do you think? Oh, and as you may have noticed, I haven't bothered to use chapters.
Last edited by Foxesrule on Fri May 11, 2012 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your neighbourhood moderator.
Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or just want to chat. c:
what am i doing with my life..?
NatureHeart
Cardinal Chick

Re: Story-What do you think?

Post by NatureHeart »

It was well. I was entertained for a while, but the end got a little boring.
Cheer up!
Be silly!
♥ And fly! ♥
Foxesrule
Cardinal Chick

Post by Foxesrule »

I know the end is kind of boring. I might add some exciting parts soon.
NatureHeart
Cardinal Chick

Post by NatureHeart »

Did you add too it? The new part was pretty good!
Cheer up!
Be silly!
♥ And fly! ♥
Foxesrule
Cardinal Chick

Post by Foxesrule »

Yep, I updated it. The end isn't boring now...