Hunger Games Topic

All other discussions.

Moderator: Kenya

hoopyscoop
Adult Gecko

Re: Hunger Games Topic

Post by hoopyscoop »

I am gonna get the books soon... And, what does this mean:”May the odds be ever in your favor”?
Icon = Fluttershy = not mine.
StarWolf
Adult Cardinal

Post by StarWolf »

It's a quote from Effie, the person who goes around and selects the tributes who participate from the games.
If I remember correctly, she always says it after the tributes are selected in each district. Kinda like a "Good luck, but you're probably gonna die anyways so I'm just gonna act cheerful" thing in my opinion.
http://tea-shell.deviantart.com/

InGame name: Esari or Starwolf
I respond to StarWolf/Star or Teashell/Tea
shadow-wolf
Adult Bluebird

Post by shadow-wolf »

OMG OMG OMG! i watched hunger games! So awsome! At first I wasnt interested But my sis made me go... Omg! Best film ever! wanna see it again! P.s, rue's death made me cry... And Im usually a tank... So thats somthing!
LunaWolf
Adult Gecko

Post by LunaWolf »

Anyone know if they're working on the next one? I'm excited for the next two, considering the first book was actually my least favorite. (Not that I didn't like it, I just liked the next two more. The last one in particular.)

...Definitely not working on a replica of Katniss's silver arrows... nope, definitely not. (...The fletching's the hard part... it looks like they used plastic in the movie, but that would damage my bow when I shot them... Hmm...)
StarWolf
Adult Cardinal

Post by StarWolf »

I think I liked the second book the best.
1, Finnick was first shown in it(Totally not a fangirl for Fin or anything, lolwhywouldIbelikethat?)
2, The arena.. I just loved how it was made.

Also, Shadow: I saw the scene for Rue's death in the movie... but compared to the books, it was nothing. Dunno why. .-. I had to stop reading during her death to compose myself and not get the book pages too wet before reading it again.

Summerbreeze
Adult Mouse

Post by Summerbreeze »

OMG did you hear Zac Efron is going to play finnick? Oh wow he sounds SO much hotter than he used to be ! :D
You got enemies? Good, that means you actually stood up for something in your life. ♥
StarWolf
Adult Cardinal

Post by StarWolf »

Eh, he's okay I guess... Not really what I imagined Finnick to be, though. If anything, I liked Fin cause he was always jokey and stuff. x3

Foxesrule
Cardinal Chick

Post by Foxesrule »

I'm thinking about starting to read The Hunger Games. What's it about?
Your neighbourhood moderator.
Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or just want to chat. c:
what am i doing with my life..?
StarWolf
Adult Cardinal

Post by StarWolf »

It's set in the future in the United States, after it collapses. Basically, the US is separated into 13 districts(Although the 13th is declared destroyed), with the Capital as the leader/dictator thing. To show that they still have control over the districts, each year the capital hosts the "Hunger Games", a fight to the death between 24 unlucky children. 2 victims(Tributes) are selected by a raffle in each of the 12 known districts, ages are between 6ish to 16 I think(Give or take a few years). When the book starts out, the main character, Katniss, volunteers herself for the games to keep her little sister from entering it instead.
Angst ensues.

Mindy
Adult Bluebird

Post by Mindy »

Ages are actually 12+ until you're an adult. Been a long time since I read the books (hence I don't remember what age the kids aren't candidates anymore), but I do remember that the starting age was 12.
((Nit-picky details person ^^"))

6 is way too young. They'd be out of the contest in a flash, and that'd be boring... and we all know how the Capital hates boredom.
I often edit my posts. Most of the time, I do it before anyone else replies. But sometimes, I get unlucky. Sometimes, someone posts. Then it'll say at the bottom of my post:
Last edited by Mindy on blah blah blah, 1 time in total
or: 2 times
or: 12 times
StarWolf
Adult Cardinal

Post by StarWolf »

What? But I thought Rue and Prim were like... 8. Weren't they? ._.
Maybe I imagined them as 8... silly me.

shadow-wolf
Adult Bluebird

Post by shadow-wolf »

Yeah, prim and Rue r 12, it says in the film... Dunno about the book if it says tho...
StarWolf
Adult Cardinal

Post by StarWolf »

I googled it. Apperently they were 12. Sadly, for me, whenever their is a teenager with a younger sibling, in order for the image to seem accurate to when I imagine them, I always imagine an adorable 9 year old...
Plus, Rue looked a lot younger than 12 in the film. But that's just me.

shadow-wolf
Adult Bluebird

Post by shadow-wolf »

xD I have read the first One and started the 2nd, whats the 2nd about? Im talking about the hunger games - catching fire One... I dont get it? Does she play the hunger games again?
StarWolf
Adult Cardinal

Post by StarWolf »

Mmm.. Yes.
Catching Fire is when the 75th Hunger Games happen. As a tradition, every 25 years the games are known as Quarter Quell and something 'special' happens. I'm not sure what happened with the 1st Quarter Quell, but the second(Haymitch's year of the Win) had double amount of tributes, to show that even in numbers the districts would never overcome the Capital.
The third quarter quell is supposed to represent that not even the strongest can overcome the Capital- 2 people from each(male and female still) district who have previously won the Hunger Games are forced back in. Haymitch is selected, but Peeta volunteers to go with Katniss since she's the only female winner from district 12.
My favorite is the second book. Soo many good characters, plus you learn about Haymitch's past and other stuff. Plus, the districts are all rioting because of Katniss being 'rebelious' during the first games(She threatens to kill herself and Peeta, therefor have no winners for the games and beating the Capital at their own game). All in all, it's amazing.