-Writer's Block- (Literacy Topic)

All other discussions.

Moderator: Kenya

Alias
Baby Mouse

-Writer's Block- (Literacy Topic)

Post by Alias »

-Welcome-

Writer's Block is where poets, authors and writers of all sorts come to share our ideas and maybe a few short poems and stories to help each other with writer's block. Writer's block simply means you're out of ideas and you need a big boost of inspiration to get the stories coming out again ;]

-Rules-

- Typical forums rules, and a touch of common sense, if you please.
- Do not steal anyone's poems or stories. You may be inspired, but don't copy their ideas word for word.
- Certainly tell someone what you think about their writing. Include good and bad points, and how they could improve. Do not be rude or offending, say it in a nice way ;]
- If someone gives you a bad point about your work, don't be offended. They're only trying to help you. If you felt hurt or offended, state it. If they apologize, then you know they didn't mean it in the first place.
- Discuss anything to do with literacy, share your ideas, and have fun ;]

-Inspiration-

- Listen to music, it changes your mood and puts you in the appropriate mood you want for your story ;]
- Have you been to the cinema lately? Movies can provide tons of inpiration and ideas!
- Go out on a walk! The things you see can help you gather up some ideas ;] There's always something different everyday.
- Brainstorm! Get a big piece of paper and write down the first thing that comes into your head – no matter what!
- Pets are wonderful friends. If you like writing about animals, study your pet's behaviour. The unexpected things they do too! (Like doing a roly poly xD)
- Reading, the classic way to get inspiration. Have a favourite series? Even if you may have read through it once, you never know when it'll give you some ideas.
- Go to the library, find your favourite author and start book-hunting x]
- If you like writing about humans, study the people outside your window. Look at what they're doing. Calling someone? Study their expressions, what do you think it's about? How do you think they are feeling at that time? Is he reading something? Can you tell if it's a good or bad thing he's reading about? Is he walking a dog? Study the dog, study the expressions ;]
- Just write! Don't worry about the grammar, the plot etc. Just write, you can always edit it later. It's better than forgetting what you're going to write about.

-Challenge-

Make a rhythm, make a beat
Speak in rhymes with all you meet ;]

-A Little About My Literacy Life-

I've been writing since the age of ten ;] My roleplay life has evidently increased my knowledge and experience in writing, I've been roleplaying for at least 6 years now? I loved writing fantasy anthromorphic (giving animals human characteristics, eg: to talk like us) stories to do with mainly cats and wolves. I love writing stories and poems, I am inspired by music (where would I be without it?) and a lot of movie soundtracks. If you need some ideas, I'll be sure to help you out x]
Last edited by Alias on Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Image Image Image

"Parents spend the first part of our lives teaching us to walk and talk, and the rest of it telling us to sit down and shut up."
Game Name: Guardian
NatureHeart
Cardinal Chick

Re: -Writer's Block- (Literacy Topic)

Post by NatureHeart »

The Beginning
I couldn't remember anything. I was in the middle of the plains, surrounded by animals. They didn't seem to notice me, except for a hungry bobcat that swiped at me. I looked around for someone to care for me. I had must have looked for hours, because I was dirty, starving, and parched. I found a decent-sized carcase and started eating. There was a fox coming towards me. I wasn't sure if it was friendly. "Hi?" I said hoping for an answer, "Hi!" came the reply. I was relieved. I was glad to finally find someone who noticed me. Her name was Jezibel. I told her my name- Sprinkles. She took me to her den. It wasn't that far. Just about ten steps away. When I got there, I saw foxes a lot younger than me, probably still nursing. "Aw!" I said adoring the cute little foxes. She smiled and went to find food. I stayed in the den, playing with the fox kits. She came back in, "I killed a cardinal." she said, "Koolios!" I said looking outside. When I stepped outside I was a full adult.

The Pack
I started eating the cardinal. I had a feeling someone else was near. I started heading west. To my surprise it was a fully grown fox. "What happened to the cave?!" She said to herself, "I don't know" I said. She started towards me. I could tell what she was thinking. I think someone covered it! She was angry. I thought maybe if she was with other people she would be happier. I took her to the den. Jezibel was outside. They said hi and went inside. I found out that her name was FoxLove. "Wow, I didn't know you had babies!" I could again tell what she was thinking, it's like shes an open book. She thought I was the father. "I'm not the father." She kept going on about the kits. Finally she stopped. Jezibel quickly said, "He's not the father." "Oh," FoxLove said. " I was glad she took that break from talking. I would've gotten very annoyed. I went outside to find food. There was a bear at the entrance. "Ahhh!" I screamed, scared I would die. I ran away. I didn't get eaten, thankfully, but I was still scared to go back. There was a fox who spotted me. "Hello!" she said, happy to see someone else. "Hi!" I said, also happy. She came over and we started talking. I led her back after a few minutes of talking. Her name was Gingerleap. While we were heading back, there was a fox outside. She was as young as me when I was looking for someone to take care of me. "Hi." I said, 'Hi," She said "I'm May." We introduced ourselves and invited her in the den. By that time the bear was far away and the kits grew. When we came inside, only FoxLove was there. I figured Jezibel was outside looking for stuff. They said hi and then we went outside to eat. May had grown by that time. "Hey," she said. I wondered what she was thinking, unlike FoxLove who ignored her. "Is this like a pack or something?" I was surprised. I never thought of it as a pack. "I guess..." I said. "Well, then, can I join?" I was surprised again! "Sure, everyone who is friendly can join." I said. Jezibel came back by then. We all went in the den.

The Search
I was the last one in because I found a rabbit and attempted to catch it. I missed and went back in the den. "So who is alpha of the pack?" one of them said. I was about to say that the male should be the alpha, but they all stopped me to a bunch of rambling. We finally settled it by searching for the rank one foxes. We went off in all directions. FoxLove said "You better not look for rank one!" That was when I was really annoyed. I managed to keep my thoughts inside my head. We looked for a long time. Most of us stopped looking. Only me and FoxLove were left searching. I looked at every fox, hoping to find rank one. Finally FoxLove screamed, "I have rank two! I'm alpha!" I was on on my last nerve. "No," I said, "You are rank two, therefor, not alpha." I was still rank four. I searched up west-nothing. I searched south-nothing. I searched east-nothing. I searched north-there it was! The rank one fox. I didn't know how many times I challenged him before I won. But I won. I headed towards the den. On the way, FoxLove screamed again, "I'm alpha!" I checked her. She truly was rank one. Then she said, "Will you be my mate?" I was unsure. I didn't know if I truly wanted to. I finally said yes and she was overjoyed. I went in the den.

The New Pack
When I was in we started talking. May and Jezibel went outside. They said she would look for food. They never did come back. I was sad. There was only me Gingerleap, and FoxLove. We were all bored. Gingerleap went outside. She didn't come back. I assumed she died, because she wouldn't just leave us there. A rabbit came in with her exact same name. I made her my pet. I fed her and cleaned her and gave her walks. The only part she didn't like was the cage. It was small and she didn't come out often. FoxLove didn't think it was the cutest thing. She died a little while later. There was another rabbit with the name name as FoxLove. It was then I realized I was the only fox. I had to take care of the rabbits by myself. It was hard. When I went outside there was a baby fox at the den. His name was Ryan. He must not have need me because when I came out he didn't say a word. I went to find food for the rabbits. While I was looking a bluebird attacked me. I was confused at why a bluebird would attack me. It flew off and I didn't see it again. I continued to look for food. Then another fox pup was outside. "Hi." I said. "Hi." she responded. Her name was Nova. When I went in the den I only had a twig. I gave it to the rabbits. I went back out for more food. When I came back in, another fox pup was there. Her name was WildLive. She didn't talk much. She just used body actions. When I went outside the fox pup was gone. I got more food. When I came back in, nothing changed. Everyone was in the exact same positions. When I came out again, there was a buffalo at the entrance. "Hi!" I said. He didn't answer. But he all of the sudden died. I thought he was just old or sick. Later there was another rabbit. His name was Keyin. "Hi." I said. "Hey." He said back. He didn't really come in the den. I realized then, that the pack that had fallen apart, was being built again.

The Death

I stayed inside talking with the others for a while. I took Gingerleap outside for a walk. Unfortunately I forgot she was having babies. She squirmed around. I wondered why. I put her in the den. "No, my babies!" she screamed. I wondered what she was talking about. Then I remembered. Uh-oh! I thought. I went to the front of the den. There was a baby rabbit. I went outside. Sure enough, there were carcases everywhere. I felt really bad. When I went back in there was another rabbit. I was confused at how I missed it. I went outside to get food a few times. Sometimes she and her mate FoxLove would get food themselves. I still helped though. I made sure the young rabbits were healthy and protected. I stayed inside for a while. I realized how hungry I was when I wasn't busy. I went outside to get some food for myself. Unluckily there was a strong full combat hungry male wolf at the entrance. I was stunned. I tried to run but it was too late. It killed me.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This story is based upon what happened while I was playing WEO as a fox. It may not be fully true, ex. may not be in order but is really close or she really just logged off and became a rabbit etc. because I took what I remembered from when I was playing. I didn't wright it down while I was playing because, well, I was too busy playing! lol! I do not mean to copy someones stories. If I do I am sorry and I will delete. :)

This was my story, and here's my tip... Wright what you feel. Don't just wright what happened! Get deep into it. :D Hope I helped for story writers!
Cheer up!
Be silly!
♥ And fly! ♥
Alias
Baby Mouse

Post by Alias »

Lovely ;] Typical Foxlove, eh? x] Nice tip, too. I'll add it on!
When writing's dull
Relax
It's not long before a
Tiny idea pops into your head
Easy now. Just write.
(Reads W-R-I-T-E first letter of each sentence ;] )
Image Image Image

"Parents spend the first part of our lives teaching us to walk and talk, and the rest of it telling us to sit down and shut up."
NatureHeart
Cardinal Chick

Post by NatureHeart »

Awesome advise! And yes, typical FoxLove! :D
Cheer up!
Be silly!
♥ And fly! ♥
Alias
Baby Mouse

Post by Alias »

Well, here's a poem from me. I was feeling a bit dismal, and listening to this piece of music; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf1S26-1z6M

TIME

Time
The ticking clocks
Opens doors
Creates new locks
Watches a new life fade
And turn to stone
Slides across a room
Like a shadow
Paints it with a coat of dust
And blows out the candle
Like the breath
So cold, impassive, without a care
Unstoppable death
Statues of memory
Lead away on a stone-grey path
Looking back, but never returning
The rhythm
Never stopping once
Lingers above the beating heart
Patient
Waiting
Striking unexpectedly from the darkness
Neither friend nor foe
But giving and taking life
And restoring the balance of the world
The world of grey
The rest place of a curse
Loved
And despised
Endless, endless time.
Image Image Image

NatureHeart
Cardinal Chick

Post by NatureHeart »

Kitten
On my lap,
In my bed,
My kitten is always in my head,
Her beautiful fur,
Her dancing eyes,
I just can't despise,
Her twitching whiskers,
Her swishing tail,
I could never bail,
The way she purrs,
Oh how she sleeps,
My heart is holding heaps,
The way she basks in the sun,
I have to laugh at that one,
My kitten is beautiful,
She's full of wonders,
I can say that,
But she's still my cat.

My first actual all-by-myself poem. Hope its good!
Cheer up!
Be silly!
♥ And fly! ♥
Alias
Baby Mouse

Post by Alias »

It's lovely ;] the sentences are short but they rhyme, and the words are creative and beautiful. It epresses an emotion of admiration. For improvements, try creating a rhythm or a beat, like raps have beats and they rhyme too. Carry on like this, you'll be a great poet x]
Image Image Image

NatureHeart
Cardinal Chick

Post by NatureHeart »

Thanks! :D
Cheer up!
Be silly!
♥ And fly! ♥
animalguy888
Adult Gecko
Location: In the sky hunting for a hybrid between superman and bigfoot in an alternate universe

Post by animalguy888 »

I started working on a story. It has been many years since I wrote storys. This one still does not have a title and I have only got the intro so far. I think I'll Post it anyway. Its about the adventures and the life of a certain native american boy. heres what i have got so far.

Intro

Hi my name is Great Owl. I am 80 years old and am one of my villiges eldest. I currently live on a tibal reserve in canada. though It was not always that way. I used to belong to the Cherokee nation in the place you call Georgia. This story will share my life. It will also share the secrets that will became legends.

Its still a work in progress but I think I got some ideas going in my head.

Edot: got chapter one started so now the story is like this.

Intro

Hi my name is Great Owl. I am 80 years old and am one of my villiges eldest. I currently live on a tibal reserve in canada. though It was not always that way. I used to belong to the Cherokee nation in the place you call Georgia. This story will share my life. It will also share the secrets that will became legends.

Chapter 1
The Hunt

The Bison stampeded across the land creating a thunderous roar, with hooves like solid like steel the land felt their cry as the ran frightened. Three men approached on the horizon. Each armed With only a primitive bow and arrow for both defence and offence.With one swift pull of the bow it one of the men stuck a Bison to the back. It fell to the ground and gave a sound of pain. The second man fired hiting it in the leg injuring it so it could not get back up. The third man struck it as well. With the final blow to the head the Bison was now dead. This battle between man and beast, predator vs prey plays often in the days of native americans. Food is nesasarry for all animals on earth and it is the same for humans.

"There is beauty in every Creature, Stone, and Plant. To find it you Just have to look for It."

Click here if you dare!...

Alias
Baby Mouse

Post by Alias »

Aha... Native Americans. That's interesting ;] Since I am bored I shall proof-read chapter 1 for you. I've highlighted mistakes in red. If they are there on purpose then I apologize x] I like the unique description you've used, specifically '...hooves like solid steel the land felt their cry' very creative, well done ;]

The Bison stampeded across the land creating a thunderous roar, with hooves like solid like steel the land felt their cry as the ran frightened. Three men approached on the horizon. Each armed With only a primitive bow and arrow for both defence and offence.With one swift pull of the bow it one of the men stuck a Bison to the back. It fell to the ground and gave a sound of pain. The second man fired hiting it in the leg injuring it so it could not get back up. The third man struck it as well. With the final blow to the head the Bison was now dead. This battle between man and beast, predator vs prey plays often in the days of native americans. Food is nesasarry for all animals on earth and it is the same for humans.
Image Image Image

Alexander
Adult Rabbit

Post by Alexander »

Is it okay to give a little more information to help improve it better as well?
Yesterday my history teacher told us some things about Native Americans. I think you would like this information. (:
While the railroads were around, Americans liked to ride on them and pick off buffalo by shooting them (which angered Native Americans.) Not only that but this was a game to the Americans, as in they never really ate the buffalo if they were killed. What the Native Americans did was drive the Buffalo off a cliff (to injure it) and kill it there while it was harmed. I don't know of any other tactics they used to kill buffalo, but I'm pretty sure that's not the only one.
Another thing is the way that Native Americans valued land and how Americans did and how they were totally different. As an American you buy off the land so you own it. Native Americans basically thought that the idea was crazy. The way they handled land was to share it, as they were basically "nomads" and moved around from place to place a lot.
I know you like to learn about a lot of information and stuff, and I really think this, or even just some of it, will help spread some more ideas for your chapters and/or improve your story more. (:
Got #1 high score for goats! Woohoo!
animalguy888
Adult Gecko
Location: In the sky hunting for a hybrid between superman and bigfoot in an alternate universe

Post by animalguy888 »

DarkReality wrote:Aha... Native Americans. That's interesting ;] Since I am bored I shall proof-read chapter 1 for you. I've highlighted mistakes in red. If they are there on purpose then I apologize x] I like the unique description you've used, specifically '...hooves like solid steel the land felt their cry' very creative, well done ;]

thanks! Ill fix this as soon as possible. I'm not the worlds best speller and I also type pretty fast so its easy to make errors. Again thanks for the help!

"There is beauty in every Creature, Stone, and Plant. To find it you Just have to look for It."

Alias
Baby Mouse

Post by Alias »

No problem. Do you have a spell check? Or something to proof-read your work? I always write my stories on Pages and I used to on Word (Word can automatically proof-read work). My father always tells me to do research before I write, so it's a good idea to know some facts about the subject you want to write about. If you suddenly have a great idea and you want to rush through it – don't. Simply jot it down on a notepad or something in bullet points. Take your time when you write and think about all the different senses (which of course, I think you've done brilliantly) sight, smell, taste, hearing, feeling. Also who, where, why, what, how etc. The best selling books not only have a great plot, the description is what really brings the story to life ;]
Have a quick scroll up to the first post and read through 'Inspiration' for more tips ;]
So, do you enjoy writing?
Image Image Image

animalguy888
Adult Gecko

Post by animalguy888 »

DarkReality wrote:No problem. Do you have a spell check? Or something to proof-read your work? I always write my stories on Pages and I used to on Word (Word can automatically proof-read work). My father always tells me to do research before I write, so it's a good idea to know some facts about the subject you want to write about. If you suddenly have a great idea and you want to rush through it – don't. Simply jot it down on a notepad or something in bullet points. Take your time when you write and think about all the different senses (which of course, I think you've done brilliantly) sight, smell, taste, hearing, feeling. Also who, where, why, what, how etc. The best selling books not only have a great plot, the description is what really brings the story to life ;]
Have a quick scroll up to the first post and read through 'Inspiration' for more tips ;]
So, do you enjoy writing?
I might have spell check im not sure. I am currently using Notepad to write this story. I have some experince with native americans. My interest comes from know two and living with one. A couple of my bestfriends in the eastern portion of my home state are native american. To add to that my foster/adopted brother is full native american. All that sparked my interest in native american culture. So yes i have done some research on native american culture. Also I always loved writing when I was younger. Then my life got busy and I stopped writing. Now its been a few years and the one I posted here is the first in long time.

StarWolf
Adult Cardinal

Post by StarWolf »

I think I need advice on how to do this...
Okay, so I joined up with a manga club. The goal is for each of us to make characters and a story and MAYBE draw out the story. I have the main character(Khalida, or just Khal) and some of the storyline. But, Im not sure how to progress any further... should I write out the story in a certain form or just skip to drawing what I have? .-.
http://tea-shell.deviantart.com/

InGame name: Esari or Starwolf
I respond to StarWolf/Star or Teashell/Tea