-Writer's Block- (Literacy Topic)

All other discussions.

Moderator: Kenya

animalguy888
Adult Gecko
Location: In the sky hunting for a hybrid between superman and bigfoot in an alternate universe

Re: -Writer's Block- (Literacy Topic)

Post by animalguy888 »

Alias wrote:The character's best friend? We often see sidekicks of the main character in stories, or it could be the main character's family [brother, sister, father etc] If it helps you, write down your list of characters and beside their name write a short description.
thanks that helps a little. Ill mark it down as a possible idea.

Edit: with a little inspiration and brainstorming with the help of my sister. I decided to edit the intro to somthing a little more entertaining.

Heres what I have now...

Intro

The waves crashed onto the ocean beach of british columbia. The old man sat on the white sandy shore remembering the ways of the cherokee indians. His granddaughter came out just then. Great owl everyones been looking for you. She said as the waves continued to roll in and the wind continued to blow. Maya im 452 years old I think I can take care of myself was his reply. Just then there was a scream up on shore and then in the distance a they could see huricane on the approach. Great Owl then stood up and slowly and calmly lead his granddaughter away from the storm. their house was up in the mountains so they decided it would be safer there. Once they got inside the turned on the fire place to keep warm and waited for the hurricane to come and go. It was silent as this was the worst storm the had seen in many years. THe silence was then broken by maya with a question. grandpa what was it like living back in georgia all those years ago? That question can only be answered with a story. He then replied. It was many years ago when america was just getting started...

Chapter 1
The Hunt

The Bison stampeded across the land creating a thunderous roar, with hooves like solid steel the land felt their cry as the ran frightened. Three men approached on the horizon. Each armed with only a primitive bow and arrow for both defence and offence.With one swift pull of the bow it one of the men struck a Bison to the back. It fell to the ground and gave a sound of pain. The second man fired hitting it in the leg injuring it so it could not get back up. The third man struck it as well. With the final blow to the head the Bison was now dead. This battle between man and beast, predator vs prey plays often in the days of Native Americans. Food is necessary for all animals on earth and it is the same for humans.

Chapter 2
The village

At the end of that day the tribe gathered around a campfire and ate bison as the hunters told storys about their biggest kills. Intersted like a bear to a fish was I Great Owl. However I was only 14 then and had not achieved the name Great Owl. Back then I went by the name Dustu. It is a Cherokee name that means spring frog. Before I could become a hunter I needed to be 16. On My birthday I would have to pass a test. I would need travel in the american wilderness and survive for a full year. Only then would I be worthy enough to be considered an adult. It seems even in the late evening our village is considered large enough to rival New York. That is if New York was a native american village and was extremly small compared to its modern size. We had fishermen ,hunters,medicinemen,elders and just about every other kind of citizen.

I will continue to edit perfect and write my story...

"There is beauty in every Creature, Stone, and Plant. To find it you Just have to look for It."

Click here if you dare!...

Alias
Baby Mouse

Post by Alias »

It's very good still ;] Remember to look out for grammar errors. Also, trying skimming though a random book. Look at how it's set out. Every line of dialog that is spoken by a different person will create a new line. Speech marks are used, too. Italics used for thoughts, bold writing for loud noises etc. Here's an example (Not very good as I did it quickly but you can see the structure of the text):

Emma struggled to peer over the wall, standing on the tips of her toes, but still not being able to see what was going on.
"Bella! Bella, what's happening? What's that loud noise? Tell me!" She cried. Her sister looked over her shoulder with a smile.
"Oh, it's just the neighbor's cat. Fluffy, remember her? She's chasing a butterfly, how cute!"
Emma stepped back an sighed. Why do I have to be so short? She thought miserably. A sudden loud screech caught her attention, and Bella's face whitened in horror.
"Bella? What's wrong? What's happened?!"
"Oh no... It's Fluffy..." Her sister whispered, her voice choking with dread.

Just had to add a bit of tension there x] So you see - Structure, speech marks, new line for every new piece of dialog, and the italics and stuff. So next time you read a book, not only look at how the text is set out, look at the plot too. How does the reader write out the story? Is it fast-moving or slow and steady? Also, use the five senses; touch, smell, taste, hearing and sight. If you're stuck for description, use; where? What? Who? How? When?
When I write my stories, I usually include a lot of witty dialog, but at the beginning of every chapter, I set the scene with some description.
Image Image Image

"Parents spend the first part of our lives teaching us to walk and talk, and the rest of it telling us to sit down and shut up."
Game Name: Guardian
animalguy888
Adult Gecko
Location: In the sky hunting for a hybrid between superman and bigfoot in an alternate universe

Post by animalguy888 »

Alias wrote:It's very good still ;] Remember to look out for grammar errors. Also, trying skimming though a random book. Look at how it's set out. Every line of dialog that is spoken by a different person will create a new line. Speech marks are used, too. Italics used for thoughts, bold writing for loud noises etc. Here's an example (Not very good as I did it quickly but you can see the structure of the text):

Emma struggled to peer over the wall, standing on the tips of her toes, but still not being able to see what was going on.
"Bella! Bella, what's happening? What's that loud noise? Tell me!" She cried. Her sister looked over her shoulder with a smile.
"Oh, it's just the neighbor's cat. Fluffy, remember her? She's chasing a butterfly, how cute!"
Emma stepped back an sighed. Why do I have to be so short? She thought miserably. A sudden loud screech caught her attention, and Bella's face whitened in horror.

Just had to add a bit of tension there x] So you see - Structure, speech marks, new line for every new piece of dialog, and the italics and stuff. So next time you read a book, not only look at how the text is set out, look at the plot too. How does the reader write out the story? Is it fast-moving or slow and steady? Also, use the five senses; touch, smell, taste, hearing and sight. If you're stuck for description, use; where? What? Who? How? When?
When I write my stories, I usually include a lot of witty dialog, but at the beginning of every chapter, I set the scene with some description.

ok thanks for the tips

"There is beauty in every Creature, Stone, and Plant. To find it you Just have to look for It."

NatureHeart
Cardinal Chick

Post by NatureHeart »

Alias wrote:Emma struggled to peer over the wall, standing on the tips of her toes, but still not being able to see what was going on.
What happened to fluffy??? D: And I need insiration! I have no clue what to do next! Can someone try to inspire me? :(
Cheer up!
Be silly!
♥ And fly! ♥
animalguy888
Adult Gecko

Post by animalguy888 »

1000angles wrote:
Alias wrote:Emma struggled to peer over the wall, standing on the tips of her toes, but still not being able to see what was going on.
What happened to fluffy??? D: And I need insiration! I have no clue what to do next! Can someone try to inspire me? :(
Its a very good start in my oponion. Seems to me this would make a very thriling mystery book Or one of those crime investigation novels.(im not sure what their called.) Thats just what I think it could turn out to be. There are many possiblites. I think you should try watching CSI or other crime/mystery series so that you can get some more infromation and inspiration.

Alias
Baby Mouse

Post by Alias »

Lol, it was only an example x] But if your looking for a great book to read, I'd recommend Sherlock Holmes. You can buy the series 1 DVD of BBC Sherlock too.
Image Image Image

"Parents spend the first part of our lives teaching us to walk and talk, and the rest of it telling us to sit down and shut up."
animalguy888
Adult Gecko

Post by animalguy888 »

Alias wrote:The character's best friend? We often see sidekicks of the main character in stories, or it could be the main character's family [brother, sister, father etc] If it helps you, write down your list of characters and beside their name write a short description.
thanks for that advice it really helped. So far I have come up with ideas for 7 potential characters and 3 potential animal enconters.

Though Im still stuck on what to call this story...

StarWolf
Adult Cardinal

Post by StarWolf »

I'd save the title for last. It's not really important until the story is actually done. ^.^ After all, while writing one of my previous stories I kept changing the title until finally I called it 'un-named' until it was finished...
I am writing a poem, but the rhyme scheme isn't going all that well. ._. Meh... I've never been a good rhymer..
http://tea-shell.deviantart.com/

InGame name: Esari or Starwolf
I respond to StarWolf/Star or Teashell/Tea
animalguy888
Adult Gecko

Post by animalguy888 »

StarWolf wrote:I'd save the title for last. It's not really important until the story is actually done. ^.^ After all, while writing one of my previous stories I kept changing the title until finally I called it 'un-named' until it was finished...
I am writing a poem, but the rhyme scheme isn't going all that well. ._. Meh... I've never been a good rhymer..
Yeah maybe the title should come last. Also I would love to see that poem. I am sort of a good rhymer. Although I have never been that good trying to peice them together into a poem. I do not do poems very well. Got great ideas for poems evey now and then. Writing them and typing them is the issue though.

StarWolf
Adult Cardinal

Post by StarWolf »

This is all I have so far:

And when the snow shall fall,
into shades of grey.
Watching as the snow shall fall,
playing throughout the day.
So why do your eyes shut tight-
and see only black and white?
When there's an inbetween the lines,
a darkness with the light.

Still working on it.

animalguy888
Adult Gecko

Post by animalguy888 »

StarWolf wrote:This is all I have so far:

into shades of grey.

Still working on it.
I think its excellent! You doing a good job so far.

Alias
Baby Mouse

Post by Alias »

Sounds great, there isn't a beat to it, but a rhythm, and it's very nice and flowing. Keep it up ;]
Image Image Image

StarWolf
Adult Cardinal

Post by StarWolf »

I finished it(I think)... I am happy with how it is, but I dunno if I should continue it a bit more... suggestions?

into shades of grey.
Always forgotten and gone unseen,
destined forever- a forgotten memory.
With narrow eyes and steel cut mind,
You could never see without seeing blind.
And so when the snow has fallen,
I hope to see you there-
I hope to see you smile,
and to laugh without a care.

I'm not too happy with the lengthy bits, but I still like how it turned out.

Alias
Baby Mouse

Post by Alias »

Usually, rhyming lines with the same number of syllables go well together.
Image Image Image

€hrysalisΨolfHer☼
Baby Gecko

Post by €hrysalisΨolfHer☼ »

"No." Aspen gave him a hard look, and Jayfeather stood silent while Moonstar listened closely from outside the nursery. Aspen was small as far as wolves go, but she still took up the entire den.

Jayfeather sighed, dipping his head. He started to back out of the crowded nursery, trying not to hear the weak squeals of the sickly newborns. It's a miracle any of them were still alive during birth, he thought, arching his back so he could turn around in the tight space. Too bad they won't make it throu-

"Aspen, please, you need to eat these herbs-" Moonstar interrupted his thoughts, reaching a massive paw into the nursery.

"My cubs are going to die!" Aspen yelled slowly. Jayfeather halted just outside the nursery as her wave of feelings washed over him in a heartbeat; grief, distraught, misery... fear.

Aspen looked at her two whimpering cubs, then looked back at Jayfeather and Moonstar, her amber eyes strangely calm. "I know they won't make it through the night," she began slowly, "and herbs can't help them now." She gave a heavy breath. "If they can't have them, I don't want anything to do with them." A little louder, she went on. "If I am to die tonight, along with these cubs... my cubs..." she broke off as one of the scrawny newborns kneaded hard at her belly, trying to drink the milk that wouldn't come to it. "If I wouldn't wake up tomorrow without the help of herbs, just leave me be. I'll be perfectly happy if I get to spend my dying moments with my dying sons." As she finished, she lowered her massive, furry head over her cubs. She winced at the pain of trying to curl protectively around her little family.

"Aspen..." Moonstar whispered. Jayfeather nudged her shoulder with his herb-filled muzzle before she could continue. Feeling her deep feelings of sadness as Moonstar turned to look at him, he shook his head. He turned to walk back to the medicine den, beckoning her to follow him.

Placing the untouched herbs back on their specific piles, Jayfeather turned back to Moonstar, who was again staring back at the nursery. "Moonstar, I'm sorry," he apologized, placing one of his paws on one of hers to get her attention. "There's no herb I can give, or poultice I could make, that will make her feel any better."

"I know." The young wolf sighed. She was silent for a moment, then continued, "If there really are wolf ancestors up in the sky, like your StarClan, then maybe Aspen will find her way to them. She deserves endless lifetimes of peace, Jayfeather."

"Hey, don't talk that way," Jayfeather tried to keep her spirits up. "She just may survive the night!"

Moonstar hesitated, as if she wanted to contradict him, but just walked in a circle a few times and curled down next to Jayfeather's nest. Jayfeather didn't need eyesight to tell him she wasn't going to sleep, that she was going to watch the nursery for as long as she could. He couldn't blame her. His thoughts would be on Aspen for the night, too. Her delivery was the most gruesome I've ever seen. Will she really get the chance to see tomorrow? He thought of the three stillborns in the very back of the nursery. Are they with their ancestors right now? The thoughts drifted to Aspens two surviving cubs. Surviving, huh. Are they even still alive?

Jayfeather curled up next to Moonstar, laying near her head, trying to comfort her and reassure her that he cared for the dying wolves in the ThunderClan nursery as well.

Jayfeather woke up well before dawn. As he yawned and stretched, he felt the slow and steady breathing of Moonstar next to him. The young she-wolf was sleeping. Good, he thought. I'm not sure I want her with me just now.

As he trotted across the clearing to the nursery, he felt a bit uneasy as to what he might find. I only hope it's all for the best! Getting closer to the nursery, he slowed his pace to a walk. No need to disturb any sleeping warriors. Or wolves.

The eerie smell of death sneaked up Jayfeather's nose as he halted near the nursery entrance. Oh, StarClan... He slowly slid into the den.

Waaahhhh that took more time than it should have! XD Not an official fanfic idea of mine, just something random that came up with reading Warriors and thinking about wolf poses for drawing. :roll:
Game Name: Moonstar
I used to be: Fursiemoon

Magistream-ImageImageImageImage
DragCave-