-Writer's Block- (Literacy Topic)

All other discussions.

Moderator: Kenya

Alias
Baby Mouse

Re: -Writer's Block- (Literacy Topic)

Post by Alias »

Well, nice to see this going during my inactiveness! ;]
Alexander wrote:I'm a simple "that-dude-that-reads-books" guy and I'm not worth anything other than grammar and spelling checks, but I guess that I'm really just a "It's not an every day or average love story so I find this more interesting" kind of reader. They're like two opposites that somehow connect anyway.
Honestly I thought that there was no side as to who the author was focused on. I thought it was just third person omniscient. After seeing it this way it made more sense.
An interesting book you're reading there, Alex. I usually write in third person as it allows me to write in the views of all of the characters in my story, although only one of the characters is the main character and the one I write about most.
StarWolf wrote:Oh, thanks for the tips, Kazz. ^.^
I guess microsoft Word didn't pick up on the misspelling. It also missed all the Your/You're errors that a proofreader so kindly pointed out to me(He deserves all the turtles in the world now).
The prolouge was meant to introduce the parents of the main characters, just to show readers what their thought processes were like and their complicated relationship. Chapter one is set in the point of view of one of the offspring, and I'm still debating to make the other chapters switch from different views... opinions on that?
It's always nice to have a proofreader to check your story for you, in my case it's my dad ;] The prologue is indeed a chapter that sets the scene, describes destination, climate and weather, characters etc. It's to give your reader a feel of what the story is about, so your setting the scene to get the reader interested. I often rush though my story when I'm writing an intense scene, and I do get confused between 'your/you're' and 'were/we're'. A good way to avoid too many mistakes is to check through a chapter you've just written for any mistakes.
But if there are still mistakes, there's nothing to worry about. If your readers enjoy reading your story and request that you edit it, you can always make a second edition (a second version of the book with less mistakes and maybe even a slight change of plot/characters).

Keep writing everyone ;] Hone your writing skills! It comes in very handy!
Image Image Image

"Parents spend the first part of our lives teaching us to walk and talk, and the rest of it telling us to sit down and shut up."
Game Name: Guardian
StarWolf
Adult Cardinal

Post by StarWolf »

Heh, I don't really thing my dad would like what happens in the story later on... he's a tad closeminded and wouldn't understand why some of the characters will do what they do.
It's much less awkward to have an online friend as your proofreader. It's as if you can be more open to them.
Chapter one is about halfways done, currently working on a visual family tree of everyone so I don't accidently make a father and his daughter mates or something.
http://tea-shell.deviantart.com/

InGame name: Esari or Starwolf
I respond to StarWolf/Star or Teashell/Tea
Alias
Baby Mouse

Post by Alias »

StarWolf wrote:Heh, I don't really thing my dad would like what happens in the story later on... he's a tad closeminded and wouldn't understand why some of the characters will do what they do.
It's much less awkward to have an online friend as your proofreader. It's as if you can be more open to them.
Chapter one is about halfways done, currently working on a visual family tree of everyone so I don't accidently make a father and his daughter mates or something.
Then an online proofreader is just as good, providing you can trust them. And doing a plan of the story is always a good idea, especially if you want to remember what they look like (I always seem to forget what my characters look like ;3)
Image Image Image

"Parents spend the first part of our lives teaching us to walk and talk, and the rest of it telling us to sit down and shut up."
Game Name: Guardian
Vargen Saphia
Adult Cardinal

Post by Vargen Saphia »

Some tips to get inspiration or learn how to write better or just train:

Make a list of random words that comes into your mind ( substantives / things like spider, claw, eclipse). When you're finished with the list, you can try making a story with/ about them.

One day in the middle of the summer/ winter there is an electricity break ( obs! in the middle of the winter, it can be dark outside allready at 3.30 pm ).

If you have a group of characters that are friends, and plan to make a long and dramatic story, there can be this goofy and innocent person, who seems to be the most cowardly, but who in the end shows up to be the biggest and evilest villain of all. (s)he had planned it from the start, to wait and let them remove the biggest threats, and then backstab them and rule the world (or something).

The maincharacter's best friend could have a brother/ sister who is like a baby/angel faced assasin, whether the maincharater knows about the latter part or not, is up to you.

If you're stuck in your story, you could imagine doing it a manga / anime story instead. That could make you get a clearer view about how the characters look like, and it could also help you continue or edit your story.

Another thing you could do, is to perhaps paint or sketch symbol, maybe a symbol for a secret society, or symbolising words or dyeties? Maybe symbols used in a secret language?
ImageImageImageImage
Alexander
Adult Rabbit

Post by Alexander »

To help with the grammar between you're/your and we're/were, think of your sentence and instead of pronouncing "we're", pronounce "we are" and see if it fits.
"We are going to school" versus "Were going to school". In this case, we're would be the answer. Were would be best in "We were going to school."
There, their, and they're is kind of like the same thing. The only difference is the word "their" that needs to be talked about. When I think of this word, I think of "It is their cookie", or something like that. I don't know, but it helps. d:
Got #1 high score for goats! Woohoo!
Scarikas
Adult Cardinal

Post by Scarikas »

I'm going to scooch us back to the topic by making a poem. ^^ I'm bored.

Take it all, breathe it in.
Shake as much as you want.
Let your heart pound
let it pound like war drums.
Let snow fall and let leaves blow
Let flowers bloom and let the sun show.
Take me, too. Take me with you.
Try to consider the choice
but please don't make me do this.
Do you have a moment in your life
a moment of time when you decide life between death?
From a pet or a peer?
Food or starvation
For a homeless human being?
Or like me, were you forced
to choose between his heart broken
or not?
Track back on your memories, my dear.
Know this like the back of your hand.
Don't be afraid to let your feelings out.
I'll accept it like it's sweet.

WHYDOIKEEPWRITINGPOEMSBASEDONMYLIFE.
I AM A BANANA.
OFFICIAL FURSONA HERE (I'm finally going to stop changing it)
Click in your free time if you will! ^^
ImageImage
NatureHeart
Cardinal Chick

Post by NatureHeart »

Scarikas wrote: WHYDOIKEEPWRITINGPOEMSBASEDONMYLIFE.
Why not? I draw my feelings.
Cheer up!
Be silly!
♥ And fly! ♥