WOLF

All other discussions.

Moderator: Kenya

animalguy888
Adult Gecko
Location: In the sky hunting for a hybrid between superman and bigfoot in an alternate universe

WOLF

Post by animalguy888 »

I saw a topic for wolf online and thought why not make a topic for the original. WOLF is a 1994 game made by the now disbanded Sanctuary Woods team. WOLF is pretty much a dead game but people are still able ot enjoy it through free download of spicific sights.

heres a game reviewI found.
Wolf is a very cleverly made animal simulation. When I first played it, I was impressed with the amount of effort the designers had put into the game to make every aspect interesting. The premise is quite simple: You are a wolf, part of a pack. In normal simulation mode, your only goal is to hunt animals for food, avoid humans and interact with other wolves. This wolf interaction will ultimately lead to mating, which is very difficult to achieve.

When you first enter the game, you are met by a screen with several options. You may start a free simulation, in which you can adjust all the aspects of your habitat, from the length of the simulation to the number of humans in the area and the type of land you will roam. It is all quite overwhelming, but after a few minutes you'll get the hang of it. After you specify your main controls, you choose a wolf. You can be a loner or part of a pack. All the wolves have different ages and strengths, and you should choose wisely for the type of game you want to play.

The other option on the start screen is to choose a scenario. There are about twenty or so, ranging from finding a lost cub in the tundra to killing a large moose in the forest within a day.

After you have specified everything, you begin the game. The controls are a bit difficult to master: You drag your mouse across the screen to guide your wolf and its pack (if you have one). You can use various keys to activate the wolf’s senses (smell, hearing, etc.), which help you to tell what types of animals and features are in the area, and can warn you of potential hazards coming your way. You may also have confrontations with other wolves. You can have simple “dominance fights” with other wolves and “mating ritual” interactions with opposite-sex wolves.

The only real predators you have to face as a wolf are humans. Most carry guns. When you are confronted with a human with a gun, there is pretty much no escape. However, if you use the wolf’s senses well enough, you can avoid such confrontations, which usually end in a messy death.

As far as graphics go, the game is quite good for 1994. The colors are vibrant and the animations complex and smooth. The music tracks also deserve to be mentioned. The tunes are haunting and mysterious, just like the animals the game is based on. They have a wilderness-like quality to them which makes Wolf’s soundtrack the most creative I’ve ever heard. Like all game soundtracks, however, it can get repetitive after a while.

As a whole, I give Wolf a rating of 5 because of its uniqueness and its attention to detail. The learning curve is moderate to steep, depending on the quickness of the player. If you like wolves and you like games where learning is the goal, not shooting everything in sight, then Wolf is for you.

If you don’t have a lot of time to devote to it, you will probably find it dull. But as simulators go, Wolf is very good. I recommend it to all people who like games like SimAnt, SimIsle and SimCity, where it is not possible to win per se and the game was primarily made simply to observe and have fun.

download
http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/531/Wolf.html

click the giant red GET IT sign on the page above

It needs DOSbox to run.
Get that here.

http://www.dosbox.com/

by the way sound is hard to get but i know how. If you need help with that just ask.

Anyway... Discuss Away!

"There is beauty in every Creature, Stone, and Plant. To find it you Just have to look for It."

Click here if you dare!...

Scarikas
Adult Cardinal

Re: WOLF

Post by Scarikas »

I love this game~ I have some pups already, but I'm starting to run out of animals to hunt.
TIME TO EAT CROWFOOD. *digs into some rotting zombie flesh*
I AM A BANANA.
OFFICIAL FURSONA HERE (I'm finally going to stop changing it)
Click in your free time if you will! ^^
ImageImage
animalguy888
Adult Gecko
Location: In the sky hunting for a hybrid between superman and bigfoot in an alternate universe

Post by animalguy888 »

Scarikas wrote:I love this game~ I have some pups already, but I'm starting to run out of animals to hunt.
TIME TO EAT CROWFOOD. *digs into some rotting zombie flesh*
Yes it is easy to run out of prey. Last time away i played my mate was about to have pups but i messed up the game by using hexeditor to much. Normally I believe prey respawns once a year so by the time your pups are grown there will be a little bit more food.

"There is beauty in every Creature, Stone, and Plant. To find it you Just have to look for It."

SilentEcho
Hawk Chick

Post by SilentEcho »

I've played this game many, many times. I reckon LION is better :3
If you don't know who I am by now, I'm just some girl who changes obsessions all the time.
Current Obsessions: Pokemon, TWD, Glee and The legend of Korra

hoopyscoop
Adult Gecko

Post by hoopyscoop »

I wonder if it’s for Mac... I don’t think so but maybe my dad will let me get it on his computer... I love wolves so this is like.... One of my dream games!
And whats hexeditor? (I ask so many questions)
Icon = Fluttershy = not mine.
SilentEcho
Hawk Chick

Post by SilentEcho »

Some super complicated thing which you can use to edit your wolf. I never understood it.
If you don't know who I am by now, I'm just some girl who changes obsessions all the time.

animalguy888
Adult Gecko

Post by animalguy888 »

h00pysc00p wrote:I wonder if it’s for Mac... I don’t think so but maybe my dad will let me get it on his computer... I love wolves so this is like.... One of my dream games!
And whats hexeditor? (I ask so many questions)
As silent said it is a pragram that can edit your wolf. It can help respawn prey,edit the wolf name to something you like,fill up your belly for max hunger and thirst,and even kill unwanted rivals in your pack. Also as she said it is very complicated and also has the potental to screw up your saved files. Even though I know how to use it i still accedently screw up my saved file and prevented pups from being born the last time i used it.

Also it is for mac. As long as you can get DOSbox it can run correctly. Apearntly in the link provided there is DOSbox download for mac as well.

Also keep in mind that this game was released back in 1994. So the graphics are very poor. If you look closly you can actually see the squares that form all the characters and scenery. Its an old game but its still one of the best wolf games in my opinion.

Hope
Adult Mouse
Location: Shadowclan Territory, plotting of ruling the forest!

Post by Hope »

Ooohh, how do you download it? Doesn't it cost money? I've been waiting for so long for games like these!
Epic 24/7 Minecraft Server sc27.servercraft.co:8076
Minecraft Status: Single... XD Just Joking I'm Online
animalguy888
Adult Gecko

Post by animalguy888 »

SillyBear111 wrote:Ooohh, how do you download it? Doesn't it cost money? I've been waiting for so long for games like these!
Go to the link above you will need both the game and DOSbox. It is completly free. The game is about 17 years old of coarse its free. Unless you can get your hands on the PC game which is hard to do with a game thats about 17 years old. I was actually born a year after the game came out and im a 16 year old teenager. It can be hard to install sometimes heres how.
To download:
Step 1: download the game at http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/531/Wolf.html
Step 2:click save as and save it to a location. I saved it to mydocuments/Wolf
Step 3: download DosBox at http://www.dosbox.com/
Step 4:when it asks run or save to t he same click run.
Step 5: Install it be sure to create a desktop shortcut.
Step 6: with DOSbox installed click and drag the installed WOLF folder to the desktop
Step 7: click and drag the wolf folder to the DOSbox shortcut.
Step 8: DOSbox should run with a code typed in.
Step 9 the final step: Just type Wolf to finish the code it should run.

See how now? if this was not good enough i could put up a youtube video and give you the link if nescesary.

Hope
Adult Mouse

Post by Hope »

Okay, I'm babysitting at my Aunt's... AGAIN. So I have to wait until, like... after lunch or once my mom is home from work. My aunt doesn't like me to download games on her computer so I have to wait until I get home and ask if I can download this which.... I'm probrobly 85 or 90% sure I can.
€hrysalisΨolfHer☼
Baby Gecko

Post by €hrysalisΨolfHer☼ »

Definitely one of my favorite wolf games. :3 But I'm a sucker for good graphics, so the only thing that makes this game better than Wolfquest (in my opinion) is the fact that WOLF doesn't really ever bore me!
Game Name: Moonstar
I used to be: Fursiemoon

Magistream-ImageImageImageImage
DragCave-
Hope
Adult Mouse

Post by Hope »

Okay, so animalguy, you make shortcuts then drag them to eachother?
SilentEcho
Hawk Chick

Post by SilentEcho »

Basically :3

animalguy888
Adult Gecko

Post by animalguy888 »

SillyBear111 wrote:Okay, so animalguy, you make shortcuts then drag them to eachother?
yep pretty much but what I usually do is click and drag the original WOLF folder.

Hope
Adult Mouse

Post by Hope »

Okay, I get it. I downloaded the DOSbox and stuff. I think I can handle it by myself now. If I need help i'll just ask. Thanks!

EDIT!: Now I need help.... I downloaded DOSbox and WOLF, now... I can't make a shortcut for it so I can drag it to DOSbox... plus, whats the "code" for WOLF when you drag it to DOSBox. Hehe.