food from around the world topic

All other discussions.

Moderator: Kenya

animalguy888
Adult Gecko
Location: In the sky hunting for a hybrid between superman and bigfoot in an alternate universe

food from around the world topic

Post by animalguy888 »

A topic to discuess and share recipees of local and non-local foods.

I decided to make this topic after just now trying my fathers lefse... It was the best food I ever had... my dad probably had to adjust the recipe for my severe food allergies so it may not have been the original...
Lefse is a traditional soft, Norwegian flatbread. Lefse is made out of potato, milk or cream (or sometimes lard) and flour, and cooked on a griddle. Special tools are available for lefse baking, including long wooden turning sticks and special rolling pins with deep grooves.
I also leaned about how my father who was born in america but has some Italian in him knows about this food.

It started with his mother. She had to be left behind by her husband as he was fighting in a war. She must have joined a VFW support group.
The Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States (VFW) is a congressionally chartered war veterans organization in the United States. Headquartered in Kansas City, Missouri, VFW currently has 1.5 million members belonging to 7,644 posts, and is the largest American organization of combat veterans.
Members must be a US citizen or national with an honorable discharge from the US Armed Forces or currently serving in the United States Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, or Navy. Membership also requires military service overseas during an operation or conflict and decoration with an expeditionary medal, a campaign medal or ribbon. A Leave and Earnings Statement showing receipt of Hostile Fire or Imminent Danger Pay is also acceptable proof for membership eligibility
Direct community involvement is a VFW priority, extending beyond the realm of veterans helping veterans.
Annually, VFW and the Men's and Ladies Auxiliaries donate more than 13 million volunteer hours of community service.[10] VFW members mentor youth groups, help in community food kitchens, volunteer in blood drives and visit hospitalized veterans. Others help veterans file compensation claims.
VFW's Community Service programs are designed to encourage community service and increase civic pride, which ultimately enhances education, improves the environment and ensures the availability of health services for our nations veterans.
VFW's Citizenship Education program is designed to stimulate interest in America's history and traditions and to promote citizenship, civic responsibility and patriotism.
VFW's Youth Scholarship programs provide more than $3.5 million in scholarships to our nation's youth. They include Voice of Democracy, Patriot's Pen youth essay contest and Scout of the Year.
The VFW's partnership with the Boy Scouts of America includes the sponsoring of more than 1,200 Scouting units with 40,000 members across the nation.
VFW's Safety Program encourages VFW Posts and Auxiliaries to conduct programs in home, auto and bicycle safety, as well as programs dealing with drug awareness and substance abuse.
The VFW National Home for Children is a community development in a family-like environment that is home to orphaned or single parent children of VFW or Ladies Auxiliary members. The home, which was established in 1925 on 160 acres (0.65 km2) in Eaton Rapids, Mich., emphasizes the values of education, good work habits and sound moral character

She probably learned the recipe from another VFW member. However she is now dead along with her husband as their son (my father) turned 61 so they my as well have been over 100 if they were alive today. My father rediscovered on the internet and decided to make some to enjoy with his family.... and boy did I enjoy it...

"There is beauty in every Creature, Stone, and Plant. To find it you Just have to look for It."

Click here if you dare!...

Vargen Saphia
Adult Cardinal

Re: food from around the world topic

Post by Vargen Saphia »

Meatballs/ sausage + pasta
Crispbread/ knäckebröd with butter + anything else like pork,salad, kaviar
herring + potatoe on Midsummer at the feast
x-mas ham
oatmeal porridge
ImageImageImageImage
NatureHeart
Cardinal Chick

Post by NatureHeart »

Chicken+Mystery Sauce+Peanuts= Spicey Chicken from Japan (I don't know what it's called :P)
Cheer up!
Be silly!
♥ And fly! ♥
LunaWolf
Adult Gecko

Post by LunaWolf »

Injudra. I think it's Indian? Or maybe Egyptian, I don't remember. Whatever it is it's pretty dang good, I have it a couple times a week. Essentially, cook some rice, set it aside. Cook some lentils in some vegetable broth, then put those on the rice. Then caramelize a bunch of red onions in olive oil, pour that whole thing over the top.

I pretty much never have food from the same nationality twice in a week, so I should be posting here pretty often. xD
Vargen Saphia
Adult Cardinal

Post by Vargen Saphia »

Tomorrow is Fattuesday / fettisdagen. So I'll eat semlor (swedish plural) / semlas ( english plural) made by my mother.
ImageImageImageImage