The O.O.A. topic (Art Topic)

All other discussions.

Moderator: Kenya

SilentEcho
Hawk Chick

The O.O.A. topic (Art Topic)

Post by SilentEcho »

Welcome to O.O.A (Only Our Art) an art discussion thread where you can ask for help,share stories,talk about art,post your art and learn from others

This is a place to discuss art and show off a few works (not everything you've ever drawn).Make your own thread if you want to show off all of your art.

Ruless
criticism is encouraged, but remember, do not 'attack' the person, give them FRIENDLY tips.
If you only want positive comments, please note.
Do not be a cry baby and do this " MI LIEF SUX COS I CNT DRA "
Do not claim any artwork as your own, and refrain from posting anything that isn't yours.
If somebody asks you a question do not reply like this: " Everybody knows how to do this!?" and make it seem that the asker is stupid for not knowing".
No cussing
If something is gorey/offensive/scary etc. Link and put a warning.
Don't spam.
Everybody has an opinion, there is a difference between a discussion and an argument.
Don't get annoyed at somebody trying to be helpful.
Have fun, show off your works, joke about, do anything that is art related :)

Competitions
None currently.

Past Competitions
First day of of a season
Theme:
Draw a picture of something waking up to see the:
Leaves falling from all the trees (Autumn/fall)
Snow slowly falling down (Winter)
Plants breaking through the snow (or snow melting) (Spring)
The sun shining brightly down on the world (Summer)
(Those were just examples :D)
Prizes !

1st place:
A drawing of anything (full colour, background, shaded).
A banner :3
Pride.

2nd place:
A simple coloured drawing of any of your characters (White BG, shaded)
Banner.
Pride.

3rd place:
Lineart/A simple uncoloured drawing of anything.
A banner.
Pride.

ENTRIES:

By Lady.

By Kenya

By SouthernStar

Winner=Lady
Second place: Kenya
Third: Southern Star
Last edited by SilentEcho on Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you don't know who I am by now, I'm just some girl who changes obsessions all the time.
Current Obsessions: Pokemon, TWD, Glee and The legend of Korra

Quagga
Baby Gecko

Re: The O.O.A. topic (Art Topic)

Post by Quagga »

Hehee, first post in this topic, in the new forum! :P

I was trying to get a bit more of the Adorallama done. I think it's improved, but of course, not finished...

First
Second, newest version.
Both given to see the differences.

... And then... I couldn't resist..
Artwork: Tumblr
SilentEcho
Hawk Chick

Post by SilentEcho »

I love the last one, it's really funny. It reminds me of that meme.

You're really good at pixel art, how do you do it?
If you don't know who I am by now, I'm just some girl who changes obsessions all the time.

Døøm Dragøn
Adult Fox

Post by Døøm Dragøn »

Hey. Can someone answer a nagging question for me? Why is that a good amount of artwork I see have over sized...how do I say this...boxes? An unnecessary amount of border that consists of nothing and only takes up space. Even when I have extra space on a complete image I crop it to make it pretty. :|

Quagga's llama is great, but why so much unused space? I just don't get it.
My Minion Army!|
===========
Image-OBLIVERATE!
ImageImage-Kill the disgrace!
Image-Destwoy!
SilentEcho
Hawk Chick

Post by SilentEcho »

Good question, I guess it just looks nicer, or the person didn't think of what size they were going to make the thing so they made a big canvas. And since that's a WIP I guess it shouldn't be expected that it'd cropped.

Quagga
Baby Gecko

Post by Quagga »

EEK I didn't reply did I? D: I SORREE SILENT
... uhh... I dunno. 0:D Well it did take some practice, but to be honest, I think I actually kind of just picked it up on my own... I've had to check out tutorials and various references when pictures don't like right, and I've gone through A LOT of frustration when nothing turns out well... So yes, it all is practice, and I guess, technically, trial-and-error? As well as looking at other people's pixel-pictures (teehee) to get ideas on how some things should blend, etc. And I STILL haven't been able to master the art of drawing GOSH DARN TREEEEES

... ... I want to try to get a more Homestuck-like style down, sometime.

---

DOOMEH DOOMEH DOOM
Mine is a WIP, and so, I give it plenty of space in case there is anything I would like to add, as well as ensure room for a color palette. It also doesn't feel as limiting, and I think I can say that it's just easier on me (though I don't really notice it at the time). Other times, the image is opened in a separate window, in a tab all by itself. So I also give it space because it's kind of preferred, personally, and can be a bit easier to see. Although excess space, I can completely understand...

Large border
Smaller border
No border

The large border was a bit excessive, but, good enough. The smaller border is... actually, not bad, but just maybe a bit bothersome to me. But I can still see both alright. The one that's cropped as small as it can get is... meh. You miss out on a few of the tiny itty bitty details on the left side and top parts of the image. In the end... the smaller one (not the "no border" one) is actually probably a bit more professional, and so, if I were to actually try to show it off for something special, I'd use the smaller one. It has less excess space, and it's not on the border to miss any details.

This is all I can say coming from my opinion and thoughts. *shrug*
SilentEcho
Hawk Chick

Post by SilentEcho »

OK then, I wonder if I'll ever try pixel art and succeed. I guess it's one of those things that take forever.

Quagga
Baby Gecko

Post by Quagga »

If you want to, then I'm sure you can. :33 Pixel art is also "easier" because I particularly want to do it, and I have fun with it. It takes a bit longer for me to give up on something that's in pixels than it does with something that... uhh... isn't. XD
But where you may struggle with pixels, I struggle with the non-pixels. Maybe zOMGdeer turned out well, but it also was originally pixels, and with a terrible, good bit of patience, and... calmness? xD It's one of VERY few digital images I've managed to create that is at least somewhat good - assuming it's not the only one. I kinda only just started keeping all my pictures recently, so I can't really check... :c

Which is something I'll encourage others to do; keep all the pictures you draw. ^-^
It's something I'm struggling with, but I've started trying to. A friend of mine mentioned that he saves EVERYTHING he does. I believe he also kind of tries to not be bothered by something if he doesn't like it - like, he doesn't think of it? I forgot... BAH HUMBUG but yes! He kinda convinced me to start... It is something I have been trying to do, and I will have to try to not be embarrassed or bothered by anything - or... try not to draw anything embarassment-worthy. :D
Døøm Dragøn
Adult Fox

Post by Døøm Dragøn »

I see your point Quagga. I use large space all the time but only close off the borders when the work is 100% finished. But, I have seen some people, say, on Deviant Art post complete pictures except there is a whole bunch of space that is just filled with backround color. :evil: Let me see if I can find a picture or two for example.
My Minion Army!|
===========
Image-OBLIVERATE!
Image-Destwoy!
Quagga
Baby Gecko

Post by Quagga »

Examples would be nice. :P
I guess some people just like the space, then, too?
Døøm Dragøn
Adult Fox

Post by Døøm Dragøn »

Ugh, not that I need them I can't seem to find them!

Here is one but it is not the best example: http://hilldust124.deviantart.com/#/d3kgywf
Regardless, why couldn't they have boxed the character more in?

Sorry, couldn't find anymore examples. Will post them later when I find them.
My Minion Army!|
===========
Image-OBLIVERATE!
Image-Destwoy!
Quagga
Baby Gecko

Post by Quagga »

M'hm, I see it. Then it's pawssibly just the artist preferring a larger border, or just not caring... or maybe not noticing, even. And I'm sure some people don't care to look profressional.

Edit:
Second time I clicked quote instead of edit. >:C
I'm going to start keeping track of how many times I do that...
LunaWolf
Adult Gecko

Post by LunaWolf »

Heya guys, can I get some constructive crits on the anatomy on this, possibly a redline? It's not done yet but yeah. http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/2683/kiraa.png
SilentEcho
Hawk Chick

Post by SilentEcho »

Maybe the top of the back leg (thigh?) is a little too forward?

LunaWolf
Adult Gecko

Post by LunaWolf »

Ah, you might be right. I was thinking maybe the back paw was a little too forward. I'll probably erase the extra toe on the back leg, it kind of makes it look like the leg's pointing sideways.