Off-Topic Topic

All other discussions.

Moderator: Kenya

MidnightRose
Cardinal Chick

Re: Off-Topic Topic

Post by MidnightRose »

I sort of want to see the Jurassic Park movie, but I'm not sure if I'll go or not yet.. x.x

Quite a random question, but does anyone ever randomly read through old topics? I just read an old roleplay topic for almost 30 minutes.. Merp, didn't realize how long I was reading that.
In-game name: Midnightsky
Twitter
SilentEcho
Hawk Chick

Post by SilentEcho »

only of it has some kind of sentimental value
If you don't know who I am by now, I'm just some girl who changes obsessions all the time.
Current Obsessions: Pokemon, TWD, Glee and The legend of Korra

hoopyscoop
Adult Gecko

Post by hoopyscoop »

MidnightRose wrote:
Quite a random question, but does anyone ever randomly read through old topics? I just read an old roleplay topic for almost 30 minutes.. Merp, didn't realize how long I was reading that.
I do that. :P I find it fun sometimes to read through the old topics. :3
Icon = Fluttershy = not mine.
animalguy888
Adult Gecko
Location: In the sky hunting for a hybrid between superman and bigfoot in an alternate universe

Post by animalguy888 »

I bet ya didn't know there were this many types of alien planets.

exoplanets-alien-worlds-111205d-02.jpg
exoplanets-alien-worlds-111205d-02.jpg (457.83 KiB) Viewed 6091 times

"There is beauty in every Creature, Stone, and Plant. To find it you Just have to look for It."

Click here if you dare!...

Foxesrule
Cardinal Chick

Post by Foxesrule »

I never knew that, animalman! o-o

The way it described a rogue planet made them sound rejected... x3
Your neighbourhood moderator.
Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or just want to chat. c:
what am i doing with my life..?
Alexander
Adult Rabbit

Post by Alexander »

I'm quite interested in seeing all the types of planets that are out there. There are so many galaxies, so many unique occasions, there seems to be an infinite amount of very special, unique planets to discover (What I would love to see is a planet surrounded by about 5 stars and is able to sustain life). I would take up the opportunity of going for a job like that; finding more and more planets, but I think I'll stick to the likelihood of me loving the discovery of deep-sea creatures.
I recently heard about the scaleless, crystal clear-blooded fish living around Antarctica. I'm very interested in seeing how they breathe and everything. I'm pretty sure they said something about taking a few back to Japan and how it may take a few years to figure that out.
Got #1 high score for goats! Woohoo!
animalguy888
Adult Gecko
Location: In the sky hunting for a hybrid between superman and bigfoot in an alternate universe

Post by animalguy888 »

Alexander wrote:I'm quite interested in seeing all the types of planets that are out there. There are so many galaxies, so many unique occasions, there seems to be an infinite amount of very special, unique planets to discover (What I would love to see is a planet surrounded by about 5 stars and is able to sustain life). I would take up the opportunity of going for a job like that; finding more and more planets, but I think I'll stick to the likelihood of me loving the discovery of deep-sea creatures.
I recently heard about the scaleless, crystal clear-blooded fish living around Antarctica. I'm very interested in seeing how they breathe and everything. I'm pretty sure they said something about taking a few back to Japan and how it may take a few years to figure that out.

I agree as much as I am interested in the universe and its near infinate number of planets... I think I'll still take jobs in marine biology and wildlife photograpghy. That is because planet hunting is so darn hard!!! There are only two ways to find an alien planet around a star with current technology. The easiest way is o look for a dip in starlight due to a transiting exoplanet. However scientist have compared this job to looking for a misquito circling a light house from 30 feet away. It seems imposible. Thats way in the begining the only found gas giants. Thats because they are big and easier to detect with this method. Eventually the were able to detect planets of all sizes. Thus figuring out the percentage of they most abudent planet types. It turns out 5 percent of planets inhabiting the milky way are gas giants and 25 percent are rocky possibly habbitable worlds such as earth. They estimate 1 in every 7 stars have an earth like planet that could host life. It seems that would be a total of 17 billion earths. Now they just have to try to find them all.

"There is beauty in every Creature, Stone, and Plant. To find it you Just have to look for It."

Alexander
Adult Rabbit

Post by Alexander »

animalguy888 wrote:I agree as much as I am interested in the universe and its near infinate number of planets... I think I'll still take jobs in marine biology and wildlife photograpghy. That is because planet hunting is so darn hard!!! There are only two ways to find an alien planet around a star with current technology. The easiest way is o look for a dip in starlight due to a transiting exoplanet. However scientist have compared this job to looking for a misquito circling a light house from 30 feet away. It seems imposible. Thats way in the begining the only found gas giants. Thats because they are big and easier to detect with this method. Eventually the were able to detect planets of all sizes. Thus figuring out the percentage of they most abudent planet types. It turns out 5 percent of planets inhabiting the milky way are gas giants and 25 percent are rocky possibly habbitable worlds such as earth. They estimate 1 in every 7 stars have an earth like planet that could host life. It seems that would be a total of 17 billion earths. Now they just have to try to find them all.
Heh, it actually excites me that the possibility of life being on other planets is so much higher than I expected! Just think of it; some day, from now to later on, someone will find the perfect ways of finding planets, knowing what they are, if they do have life or not, finding ways to scout the planet, everything! I think each invention will be on its own time period, but if you think about it, we've been wrapping up so many things with technology today, it's been a complete technological uprising in what seems like a very short amount of time.
So, maybe if we were to jump into a job including the discovery of planets around us, it'll already be easier for us to find them. I bet there is some way to do it, but of course I'm only in my first year of physics, therefore anything involving such a thing as finding them and labeling them is beyond me.

I think my passion with Marine biology much includes how interesting and weird the deep sea creatures are. I think that one day as well we will be able to carry them to the surface no problem and study them. Either that or eventually have our own bases underwater for discovery and researching, kind of like in Antarctica. I guess the hardest part for me would be trusting that whatever creates the base is very much capable of withstanding the heavy pressure of water.

Of course these are just a bunch of raw ideas and planning; just sounds exciting to think about, really.
Got #1 high score for goats! Woohoo!
animalguy888
Adult Gecko

Post by animalguy888 »

The time has come.... Populate Mars!
NEW YORK — If a one-way trip to Mars appeals to you, now's the time to apply to be part of the first crew of a Red Planet colony.

The Netherlands-based nonprofit Mars One is planning to fly teams of four astronauts to the Red Planet, with the first landing slated to occur in 2023, exactly 10 years from today (April 22), to establish a human settlement on our planetary neighbor. Today, the organization opened up its astronaut selection process, which it hopes will raise some of the funding for the project.

Those over age 18 interested in spending the rest of their lives in space can apply by submitting applications and short videos to the Mars One site. There is no maximum age for applicants, nor a required technical background or even nationality or language — astronaut candidates will have a few years to learn English if they don't speak it already. Successful applicants will have intelligence, resourcefulness, courage, determination and skill, as well as psychological stability, said Mars One ambassador Gerard 't Hooft, a Nobel Prize-winning theoretical physicist.

"Selecting these people will be a very difficult task," 't Hooft said during a press conference here to announce the selection process. "There shall be no exclusion on the basis of race, nationality, religion and gender."

There will be a minor fee associated with submitting an application, which will range from $5 to $75 depending on the gross national income of the applicant's home country, officials said. The application fee for United States citizens is $38
Though a one-way ticket to Mars isn't everyone's idea of a dream getaway, the project's leaders anticipate a high level of enthusiasm for the mission; they've received about 10,000 emails already from people interested in applying. Mars One hopes to recruit astronauts from around the world to create a colony populated by a diverse representation of Earth's inhabitants.

"We want this to be a mission of humanity," Mars One co-founder and chief executive officer Bas Lansdorp told SPACE.com.

Mars One plans to put its astronaut finalists through seven years of training and testing exercises that will expose them to potential situations they might face during the mission. The astronaut trainees will also have to spend some time living in mock Mars colonies on Earth and communicating with Mission Control via a 6 to 20-minute time delay to simulate the lag between a signal being sent and its arrival on Mars

http://www.space.com/20758-private-mars ... nauts.html

http://www.space.com/20764-how-to-die-o ... video.html

http://www.space.com/16303-reality-tv-s ... video.html

I bet this will eventually become as big as when neil armstrong landed on the moon! :mrgreen:

hoopyscoop
Adult Gecko

Post by hoopyscoop »

animalguy888 wrote:The time has come.... Populate Mars!
NEW YORK — If a one-way trip to Mars appeals to you, now's the time to apply to be part of the first crew of a Red Planet colony.

The Netherlands-based nonprofit Mars One is planning to fly teams of four astronauts to the Red Planet, with the first landing slated to occur in 2023, exactly 10 years from today (April 22), to establish a human settlement on our planetary neighbor. Today, the organization opened up its astronaut selection process, which it hopes will raise some of the funding for the project.

Those over age 18 interested in spending the rest of their lives in space can apply by submitting applications and short videos to the Mars One site. There is no maximum age for applicants, nor a required technical background or even nationality or language — astronaut candidates will have a few years to learn English if they don't speak it already. Successful applicants will have intelligence, resourcefulness, courage, determination and skill, as well as psychological stability, said Mars One ambassador Gerard 't Hooft, a Nobel Prize-winning theoretical physicist.

"Selecting these people will be a very difficult task," 't Hooft said during a press conference here to announce the selection process. "There shall be no exclusion on the basis of race, nationality, religion and gender."

There will be a minor fee associated with submitting an application, which will range from $5 to $75 depending on the gross national income of the applicant's home country, officials said. The application fee for United States citizens is $38
Though a one-way ticket to Mars isn't everyone's idea of a dream getaway, the project's leaders anticipate a high level of enthusiasm for the mission; they've received about 10,000 emails already from people interested in applying. Mars One hopes to recruit astronauts from around the world to create a colony populated by a diverse representation of Earth's inhabitants.

"We want this to be a mission of humanity," Mars One co-founder and chief executive officer Bas Lansdorp told SPACE.com.

Mars One plans to put its astronaut finalists through seven years of training and testing exercises that will expose them to potential situations they might face during the mission. The astronaut trainees will also have to spend some time living in mock Mars colonies on Earth and communicating with Mission Control via a 6 to 20-minute time delay to simulate the lag between a signal being sent and its arrival on Mars

http://www.space.com/20758-private-mars ... nauts.html

http://www.space.com/20764-how-to-die-o ... video.html

http://www.space.com/16303-reality-tv-s ... video.html

I bet this will eventually become as big as when neil armstrong landed on the moon! :mrgreen:
Wow, that’s really interesting animalguy! I’ll definitely follow this news, see how it goes. I wonder what it would be like!
Foxesrule
Cardinal Chick

Post by Foxesrule »

That's certainly interesting, but there is something I MUST share, as we are all animal lovers!!

You all must watch the Great Bear Stake Out. It is a stunning show on BBC (The 2nd episode is being shown today.) following the life of Grizzly bears in South Alaska. They have gone closer than ever before to wild bears, and survive, than before. It is more dramatic than Eastenders, soap operas, etc etc. And much better!! But, of course, true. You get to know the bears, and it has some emotional scenes in it. They give them names like sweet Turnip and her cubs, one is Pushkie, can't remember the name of the other one. Van is the 'big cheese', probably the biggest bear around there. There is also Alice. She dosen't deserve a name as sweet as that!!

I don't want to give away to much but I'm so enthusiastic... Just watch it and you'll understand!
hoopyscoop
Adult Gecko

Post by hoopyscoop »

Foxesrule wrote:That's certainly interesting, but there is something I MUST share, as we are all animal lovers!!

You all must watch the Great Bear Stake Out. It is a stunning show on BBC (The 2nd episode is being shown today.) following the life of Grizzly bears in South Alaska. They have gone closer than ever before to wild bears, and survive, than before. It is more dramatic than Eastenders, soap operas, etc etc. And much better!! But, of course, true. You get to know the bears, and it has some emotional scenes in it. They give them names like sweet Turnip and her cubs, one is Pushkie, can't remember the name of the other one. Van is the 'big cheese', probably the biggest bear around there. There is also Alice. She dosen't deserve a name as sweet as that!!

I don't want to give away to much but I'm so enthusiastic... Just watch it and you'll understand!
Wow, that sounds cool! I'll have to watch...
I hope I have BBC on my TV...

Cable is mean. >:c
Foxesrule
Cardinal Chick

Post by Foxesrule »

hoopyscoop wrote:
Foxesrule wrote:That's certainly interesting, but there is something I MUST share, as we are all animal lovers!!

Wow, that sounds cool! I'll have to watch...
I hope I have BBC on my TV...

Cable is mean. >:c
I think you van watch it on BBC Iplayer.
animalguy888
Adult Gecko

Post by animalguy888 »

ha ha. The united states is in shock as a women reports a frog in a can of beans.

ST. JOSEPH COUNTY, Indiana (WBND/CNN) - An Indiana woman bought a can of green beans on sale for 69 cents, and what she found inside will keep her and her family from ever eating canned green beans again.

"We eat a lot of green beans. We do. We did. Nobody wants anymore now," said Gloria Chubb.

Gloria, a retired nurse, is disgusted by what she served up at the dinner table for her and her son.

"It was meatloaf, mashed potatoes, gravy and green beans," she said.

It was what was in the can of Meijer green beans that made them both lose their appetite.

"My son put some on his plate and said, 'What is that?' I thought maybe it was a piece of moldy bacon or something. Because they have bacon in them sometimes. I had it in my hand because I was trying to figure out what it was. And I took it out of there and it wasn't moldy bacon. It was a toad with parts of his little legs all in the green beans, other than that he was fully intact," said Gloria.

You heard her right.

"I didn't see it at all until after I cooked it in the microwave. I was sick, nauseated for two days, and I don't think I'll have green beans anytime soon," said Gloria.

In fact, Gloria took all of her unopened cans back to Meijer, and they gave her a refund.

She took the frog and the questionable can to the St. Joseph County Health Department. The Health Department took photos of the frog. Gloria alerted them because she wants to warn others who may be in a rush preparing dinner like she was that day.

Rita Hooten, food service director at the St. Joseph County Health Department, said the next step was to send the toad and can down to the Indiana State Department of Health.

"And they do the investigation since it's a wholesale manufactured product," said Hooten.

The Indiana State Department of Health concluded the toad was processed along with the food at the canning plant in Wisconsin.

"When the green beans were picked from the field, it was also placed on a conveyor line and just was accidentally put into the can of green beans during process," said Hooten.

"I don't know how they didn't see it I wonder if it's the only one?" said Gloria.

The consumer specialist who compiled the report says it likely isn't. He says factory canning is a fast paced business sometime moving 300 cans through per minute.

Last week, Gloria got an apology letter from the canning company along with $50.

As for Meijer, they sent WBND-TV a statement via email that reads, "We sincerely regret this customer's experience, and we are in the process of investigating the incident."

"I think they should come up with a better way of inspecting and canning vegetables. I mean anything can happen you know but a whole frog?" said Gloria.

The Indiana State Department of Health says the most common rodent or insect found in canned veggies are toads, mice and grass hopers, and if you think by buying frozen you get around this, you are wrong.
http://www.ksdk.com/news/article/377590 ... reen-beans

NatureHeart
Cardinal Chick

Post by NatureHeart »

Oh my gosh that is sick! Bleck! But I'm more concerned about the poor frog, killed in the can. :( Lol, me and my animals!
Cheer up!
Be silly!
♥ And fly! ♥