Off-Topic Topic

All other discussions.

Moderator: Kenya

Darkmoon
Baby Gecko

Re: Off-Topic Topic

Post by Darkmoon »

TOTALLY made my day XD what game is that? Looks scary as fuzz O.O (best part is when they all find the mummy thing.. dont look dont look dont look AHHH DONT LOOK)
IGN: Zephyr , User #49266 :D Playing for ~7 years.... and still no fire ants :oops:
Quagga
Baby Gecko

Post by Quagga »

That one was my favorite, Dark! xD
Artwork: Tumblr
Darkmoon
Baby Gecko

Post by Darkmoon »

lol! looked up gameplay, like a walkthrough HORRIBLE MISTAKE!

*on a random note* I've completely forgotten the plot to my current story so I feel like I'm rambling in it O.o woo for rambling! :D :mrgreen:

EDIT: toattle made my day again. http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/images23/Co ... Puppy2.jpg
IGN: Zephyr , User #49266 :D Playing for ~7 years.... and still no fire ants :oops:
Lady
Adult Hawk

Post by Lady »

Skittles/Venus wrote:And Have I missed you guys.
*huggles* Skittless! Even though I saw you on tfm.. regardless.. I shall act surprised.
Double rainbow all teh way acrozz teh skie, yee yeeeeahhh so intensee! :3
You didn't see anything. *fades*
At this very same spot on April 23rd, 1898, absolutely nothing happened.-Sign at a gas station.
Is Blade (ID: 44687) Ingame.
Zelda0909
Adult Gecko

Post by Zelda0909 »

O: I dont believe what just happened in blue exorcist. I cant tell you cuz I dont want to be a jerk and spiol it for people who are watching it or going to watch it.
SouthernStar
Adult Rabbit

Post by SouthernStar »

LMAO on Transformice

I got my guest account banned for name violation.. guess what I called myself?

Hitler.

TROLOLOLOLOLOL
For science!
Kenya
Global Moderator

Post by Kenya »

Have you ever gotten one of those e-mails that just makes you go "O.O"? Just got one the other day. :B
WEO Moderator since August 31st, 2010

If you need assistance please PM me.
animalguy888
Adult Gecko
Location: In the sky hunting for a hybrid between superman and bigfoot in an alternate universe

Post by animalguy888 »

going to get me glasses today starting in a fe mins! and... now! bye!

"There is beauty in every Creature, Stone, and Plant. To find it you Just have to look for It."

Click here if you dare!...

Darkmoon
Baby Gecko

Post by Darkmoon »

Kenya wrote:Have you ever gotten one of those e-mails that just makes you go "O.O"? Just got one the other day. :B
JESS! I was spamming wikipedia one day at school cuz i got bored. So school IP, emails, and such but when I got home to my laptop on my own connection i found an email in my personal email saying my school's IP was banned for a year XD but first thought was ".... how'd ya get meh email?"

*random* :O dad helped his people at work unload a truck for the mess hall so they gave him a bunch of applesauce, to-go-sized cookies, ribs, coffee cakes, and fruit cups. Dad left it all over the counter and dinining table so when I got home i said this out loud. "Final- woah were we robbed?" XD Thank fuzz only keisha was in the house. :lol:
Quagga
Baby Gecko

Post by Quagga »

What are some general (but still somewhat specific) headers to use if you were to list animals, and separate them into groups? Bird, Reptile, Amphibian, etc. Though some would be separated into sub-groups, but it depends on how it's named. Ungulate would be divided into odd-toed, even-toed, etc. or maybe even more specific like equidae, bovinae, etc. Or they might be grouped solely by looks, such as... pangolins, aardvarks, and anteaters; echidnas, hedgehogs and quite possibly porcupines; bison, buffalo, cows; llamas, alpacas, sheep, goats; penguins; water birds; crocodile, alligator, and so on.

I'm planning for a sort of game-like thing to start on the forum, here, but I want to try to keep it organized - though not confusingly specific. xD
Zelda0909
Adult Gecko

Post by Zelda0909 »

Quagga wrote:What are some general (but still somewhat specific) headers to use if you were to list animals, and separate them into groups? Bird, Reptile, Amphibian, etc. Though some would be separated into sub-groups, but it depends on how it's named. Ungulate would be divided into odd-toed, even-toed, etc. or maybe even more specific like equidae, bovinae, etc. Or they might be grouped solely by looks, such as... pangolins, aardvarks, and anteaters; echidnas, hedgehogs and quite possibly porcupines; bison, buffalo, cows; llamas, alpacas, sheep, goats; penguins; water birds; crocodile, alligator, and so on.

I'm planning for a sort of game-like thing to start on the forum, here, but I want to try to keep it organized - though not confusingly specific. xD
You lost me at headers...
animalguy888
Adult Gecko
Location: In the sky hunting for a hybrid between superman and bigfoot in an alternate universe

Post by animalguy888 »

Quagga wrote:What are some general (but still somewhat specific) headers to use if you were to list animals, and separate them into groups? Bird, Reptile, Amphibian, etc. Though some would be separated into sub-groups, but it depends on how it's named. Ungulate would be divided into odd-toed, even-toed, etc. or maybe even more specific like equidae, bovinae, etc. Or they might be grouped solely by looks, such as... pangolins, aardvarks, and anteaters; echidnas, hedgehogs and quite possibly porcupines; bison, buffalo, cows; llamas, alpacas, sheep, goats; penguins; water birds; crocodile, alligator, and so on.

[
You will have to know about the scintific groups and such. The are grouped together not for their looks but for other things. Such as how the modern bear and the segoing sea lion have the some ancaint prehistoric ancestor. As well as how some birds like the modern turkey are decendents from the infamous dinosours! Also like the whales seem to come from an ancaint dog like creature that lived on land.

Some classifcations:

Arthropoda:

An arthropod is an invertebrate animal having an exoskeleton (external skeleton), a segmented body, and jointed appendages. Arthropods are members of the phylum Arthropoda (from Greek ἄρθρον árthron, "joint", and ποδός podós "foot", which together mean "jointed feet"), and include the insects, arachnids, crustaceans, and others. Arthropods are characterized by their jointed limbs and cuticles, which are mainly made of α-chitin; the cuticles of crustaceans are also biomineralized with calcium carbonate. The rigid cuticle inhibits growth, so arthropods replace it periodically by molting. The arthropod body plan consists of repeated segments, each with a pair of appendages. It is so versatile that they have been compared to Swiss Army knives, and it has enabled them to become the most species-rich members of all ecological guilds in most environments. They have over a million described species, making up more than 80% of all described living animal species, and are one of only two animal groups that are very successful in dry environments – the other being the amniotes. They range in size from microscopic plankton up to forms a few meters long.

class Gnathostomata:

Gnathostomata ( /ˌneɪθɵstoʊˈmɑːtə/) is the group of vertebrates with jaws. The term derives from Greek γνάθος (gnathos) "jaw" + στόμα (stoma) "mouth". Gnathostome diversity comprises roughly 60,000 species, which accounts for 99% of all living vertebrates. In addition to opposing jaws, living gnathostomes also have teeth, paired appendages, and a horizontal semicircular canal of the inner ear, along with physiological and cellular anatomical characters such as the myelin sheathes of neurons. Another is an adaptive immune system that uses V(D)J recombination to create antigen recognition sites, rather than using genetic recombination in the Variable lymphocyte receptor gene.[2]

The group is traditionally a superclass, broken into three top-level groupings: Chondrichthyes, or the cartilaginous fish; Placodermi, an extinct clade of armored fish; and Teleostomi, which includes the familiar classes of bony fish, birds, mammals, reptiles, and amphibians. Some classification systems have used the term Amphirhina. It is a sister group of the jawless craniates Agnatha.

New fossil finds suggests thelodonts as the closest relatives of the Gnathostomata.[3]

It is believed that the jaws evolved from anterior gill support arches that had acquired a new role, being modified to pump water over the gills by opening and closing the mouth more effectively — the buccal pump mechanism. The mouth could then grow bigger and wider, making it possible to capture larger prey. This close and open mechanism would with time become stronger and tougher, being transformed into real jaws.

Placoderms used sharp bony plates as teeth instead, and newer research indicates the jaws in placoderms evolved independently of those in the other Gnathostomata.[4]

The Gnathostomata first appeared in the Ordovician period and became common in the Devonian period.

[edit] Taxonomy and phylogenySubphylum Vertebrata
└─Infraphylum Gnathostomata
├─Class Placodermi — extinct (armored gnathostomes)
└Microphylum Eugnathostomata (true jawed vertebrates)
├─Class Chondrichthyes (cartilaginous fish)
└─(unranked) Teleostomi (Acanthodii & Osteichthyes)
├─Class Acanthodii — extinct ("spiny sharks")
└Superclass Osteichthyes (bony fish)
├─Class Actinopterygii (ray-finned fish)
└─Class Sarcopterygii (lobe-finned fish)
└Superclass Tetrapoda
├─Class Amphibia (amphibians)
└(unranked) Amniota (amniotic egg)
├─Class Sauropsida (reptiles or sauropsids)
│ └─Class Aves (birds)
└─Class Synapsida
└─Class Mammalia (mammals)

(lines show evolutionary relationships)

subclass:mamal

Mammals (formally Mammalia /məˈmeɪli.ə/) are members of a class of air-breathing vertebrate animals characterized by the possession of hair, three middle ear bones, and mammary glands functional in mothers with young. Most mammals also possess sweat glands and specialized teeth, and the largest group of mammals, the placentals, have a placenta which feeds the offspring during gestation. The mammalian brain, with its characteristic neocortex, regulates endothermic and circulatory systems, including a four-chambered heart. Mammals range in size from the 30–40 millimeter (1- to 1.5-inch) Bumblebee Bat to the 33-meter (108-foot) Blue Whale.

According to Mammal Species of the World, which is updated through periodic editions, 5676 species were known in 2005, distributed in 1,229 genera, 153 families and 29 orders.[1] In 2008 the IUCN completed a 5-year, 17,000 scientist Global Mammal Assessment for its IUCN Red List, which counted 5488 accepted species at the end of that period.[2] The class is divided into two subclasses (not counting fossils): the Prototheria (order of Monotremata) and the Theria, the latter containing the infraclasses Metatheria (including marsupials) and Eutheria (the placentals). The classification of mammals between the relatively stable class and family levels having changed often, different treatments of subclass, infraclass and order appear in contemporaneous literature, especially for Marsupialia.

Except for the five species of monotremes (which lay eggs), all living mammals give birth to live young. Most mammals, including the six most species-rich orders, belong to the placental group. The three largest orders, in descending order, are Rodentia (mice, rats, porcupines, beavers, capybaras, and other gnawing mammals), Chiroptera (bats), and Soricomorpha (shrews, moles and solenodons). The next three largest orders, depending on classification scheme, include the Primates, to which the human species belongs, the Cetartiodactyla (including the even-toed hoofed mammals and the whales) and the Carnivora (dogs, cats, weasels, bears, seals, and their relatives).[1]

The early synapsid mammalian ancestors, a group which included pelycosaurs such as Dimetrodon, diverged from the amniote line that would lead to reptiles at the end of the Carboniferous period. Preceded by many diverse groups of non-mammalian synapsids (sometimes referred to as mammal-like reptiles), the first true mammals appeared 220 million years ago in the Triassic period. Modern mammalian orders appeared in the Palaeocene and Eocene epochs of the Palaeogene period. Phylogenetically, the clade Mammalia is defined as all descendants of the most recent common ancestor of monotremes (e.g., echidnas and platypuses) and therian mammals (marsupials and placentals).[3] This means that some extinct groups of "mammals" are not members of the crown group Mammalia, even though most of them have all the characteristics that traditionally would have classified them as mammals.[4] These "mammals

"There is beauty in every Creature, Stone, and Plant. To find it you Just have to look for It."

Click here if you dare!...

Quagga
Baby Gecko

Post by Quagga »

xD Sorry. I'm not very good at explanations... Erm... Pretty much looking for a more understandable way to organize a list of animals. Would I organize them, like...?
BIRDS

Water Fowl
Duck
• Mallard
• Mandarin Duck
Swan

Songbirds
Sparrow
• House Sparrow

UNGULATE

Odd-Toed
Horse
• Domestic Horse
• Przewalski's Wild Horse
Tapir
Rhinoceros
I'd much rather try to avoid the scientific stuff. >.< Mammals, amphibians, reptiles, etc. are fine and dandy, they should be well-known terms. And I meant, it might just be easiest to group them by looks, even though it wouldn't necessarily be the correct way. Otherwise I might end up with a LOT of groups with names like Mustelidae, Proboscidea, Hyracoidea, Teuthida - which I wouldn't understand.

Mammals... Birds... Amphibians... Reptiles... Fish... Invertebrates... I could just use that simple beginning, and fuss over organization as it grows...

-- I was hoping you'd post, animalguy888. You always have something interesting, factual, helpful, and/or animal-related to say. :P
Døøm Dragøn
Adult Fox

Post by Døøm Dragøn »

Kenya wrote:Have you ever gotten one of those e-mails that just makes you go "O.O"? Just got one the other day. :B
I have...well my O.O was more like LOL! I received a classic scam email. It went something like this:

Hey! Remember me!? It's John from college! I just wanted to see how all my buddies from the past are doing. I'm doing great, except I have a bit of a problem. I'm stuck in (insert dangerous foreign country here) and I was hoping you could do me a big favor. I need some money so could you maybe send me some?

Thanks, you're a real pal! I will be sure to repay you!

---

I'm not even close to going to college...
Last edited by Døøm Dragøn on Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Minion Army!|
===========
Image-OBLIVERATE!
ImageImage-Kill the disgrace!
Image-Destwoy!
SouthernStar
Adult Rabbit

Post by SouthernStar »

Quagga wrote:xD Sorry. I'm not very good at explanations... Erm... Pretty much looking for a more understandable way to organize a list of animals. Would I organize them, like...?
BIRDS

Water Fowl
Duck
• Mallard
• Mandarin Duck
Swan

Songbirds
Sparrow
• House Sparrow

UNGULATE

Odd-Toed
Horse
• Domestic Horse
• Przewalski's Wild Horse
Tapir
Rhinoceros
I'd much rather try to avoid the scientific stuff. >.< Mammals, amphibians, reptiles, etc. are fine and dandy, they should be well-known terms. And I meant, it might just be easiest to group them by looks, even though it wouldn't necessarily be the correct way. Otherwise I might end up with a LOT of groups with names like Mustelidae, Proboscidea, Hyracoidea, Teuthida - which I wouldn't understand.

Mammals... Birds... Amphibians... Reptiles... Fish... Invertebrates... I could just use that simple beginning, and fuss over organization as it grows...

-- I was hoping you'd post, animalguy888. You always have something interesting, factual, helpful, and/or animal-related to say. :P

Reptile, Amphibian, Aquatic, Rodent, Feline, Canine, Hyena.

That's all I got right now.
For science!