Debate/Discussion Topic

All other discussions.

Moderators: Kenya, Alexander

Re: Debate/Discussion Topic

Postby Extreme360 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:31 am

Scarikas wrote:That's.... Good? :u
But yeah.. I hate SOPA.
I'm forcing myself not to go all immature again. I will get you someday Alex >:F

I'm glad Minecraft is supporting SOPA, with all their money and big business with 5 people buying it every 0.5 seconds it's probably a big addition to the protests. Deviantart is supporting it, too, and I'm amused by Google's way of blacking out it's logo. If SOPA passes, the economy would be ruined. People won't be able to see gameplay of a game on youtube, therefor won't want to buy it. Trailers don't explain everything. Not to mention, I found ALL of my favorite songs within in the internet, and if SOPA passes you won't even be allowed to listen to them on your computer.
I actually can't even see SOPA passing.
Gosh, I can't even imagine what would happen if they did. They seem to be overreacting.
How I see SOPA:
A bunch of old people
trying to take over the internet.

Some people think they're so scary...
My friend told me the author of SOPA uses copyrighted images on his website and doesn't give any credit.
THE IRONY!


Irony, indeed.

Also, here's a good explanation of why SOPA will ruin the internet. [link]
How did I get here? ಠ_ಠ

My school's water fountain caught on fire. Your argument is invalid.
User avatar
Extreme360
Bluebird Chick
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:43 pm

Re: Debate/Discussion Topic

Postby Quagga » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:06 pm

Minecraft, dA, and Google are all AGAINST SOPA. They aren't supporting it. The blackout day, they all had their way of bringing attention to it and offered links with further information on it.


Scarikas wrote:I'm forcing myself not to go all immature again. I will get you someday Alex >:F
Alex, why u no humor?


I don't mean to butt in to where I don't belong, however... I'd like to give my two-cents.
PERSONALLY (and therefore, open to wrongness)... The Debate topic is for serious discussion, not another topic open to being spammed with rambling jokes and whatnot. That doesn't mean you can't have fun or laugh here and there, but a post devoted solely to that purpose isn't what I look forward to when I come here. I admit, the memes and whatnot have gotten excessively annoying, but I am in no position to even ask you or anyone else to stop. So, I tolerate them. But please, don't bring them to the debate topic... I don't want to have to scroll through pages of giggling and pictures to get to the serious posts. Keep that in the Off-Topic topic, I beg of you.
Artwork: Tumblr
User avatar
Quagga
Baby Gecko
 
Posts: 1136
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:01 am

Re: Debate/Discussion Topic

Postby Alexander » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:30 pm

Quagga wrote:Minecraft, dA, and Google are all AGAINST SOPA. They aren't supporting it. The blackout day, they all had their way of bringing attention to it and offered links with further information on it.


Scarikas wrote:I'm forcing myself not to go all immature again. I will get you someday Alex >:F
Alex, why u no humor?


I don't mean to butt in to where I don't belong, however... I'd like to give my two-cents.
PERSONALLY (and therefore, open to wrongness)... The Debate topic is for serious discussion, not another topic open to being spammed with rambling jokes and whatnot. That doesn't mean you can't have fun or laugh here and there, but a post devoted solely to that purpose isn't what I look forward to when I come here. I admit, the memes and whatnot have gotten excessively annoying, but I am in no position to even ask you or anyone else to stop. So, I tolerate them. But please, don't bring them to the debate topic... I don't want to have to scroll through pages of giggling and pictures to get to the serious posts. Keep that in the Off-Topic topic, I beg of you.


I was going to reply with basically the same concept. d: This is why I love you, Quagga.
I'm pretty sure that most, if not all Debate & Discussion topics are meant to be "mature" and not filled with silliness. I do, however, have humor in other places. This place is not one of them, I'm sure you can tell.
Back on topic, I'm realizing more and more of how big of a failure SOPA will be if it is passed. It's not just America that will be effected. It will be effected worldwide.
Image
Got #1 high score for goats! Woohoo!
User avatar
Alexander
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 3898
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:37 pm
Location: Srsly.

Re: Debate/Discussion Topic

Postby Extreme360 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:09 pm

Quagga wrote:Minecraft, dA, and Google are all AGAINST SOPA. They aren't supporting it.


That's what she said. (Not a joke, I mean literally, that's what Scarikas said.)
How did I get here? ಠ_ಠ

My school's water fountain caught on fire. Your argument is invalid.
User avatar
Extreme360
Bluebird Chick
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:43 pm

Re: Debate/Discussion Topic

Postby Alexander » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:03 am

I've got some amazing & relieving news for all of you.
http://tech.pnosker.com/2012/01/20/sopa ... n-history/
tl;dr:
"After a long week of raising the stakes it seems that the anti SOPA/PIPA activists have won the day. On Friday January 20th, Congress dropped the bills in the wake of the largest online protest in history. An incredible 13 million people took time to fill out a petition to implore congress to oppose the bills in order to keep the internet free of censorship."
Statistics: http://www.sopastrike.com/numbers
Image
Got #1 high score for goats! Woohoo!
User avatar
Alexander
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 3898
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:37 pm
Location: Srsly.

Re: Debate/Discussion Topic

Postby Quagga » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:55 am

Extreme360 wrote:
Quagga wrote:Minecraft, dA, and Google are all AGAINST SOPA. They aren't supporting it.


That's what she said. (Not a joke, I mean literally, that's what Scarikas said.)


I'm glad Minecraft is supporting SOPA...


Doesn't sound like it? Maybe it's what was meant to be said, but that's not how it was worded. *shrug*
(Edit: Oh, I get it. Supporting was just the wrong word, and I apparently missed the rest of the sentences because of the mistake. Bit of my own fault, too, then.)

*sigh* It's never over.
It WILL return. They don't let up, they simply rename their bills. They grow smarter. They come up with better arguments, better loopholes.

America is truly screwed up. I dread to see what it turns into... 1984? I don't want to live here anymore...
There is no such thing as freedom. Democracy is ridiculous idealism and misconceptions. We're ignorant; ignorance is bliss. We live in a world of lies. Our government is selfishly human - it IS human instinct to look after oneself, after all. It is NOT human instinct to aim for the greater good, but to be selfish and to primarily care for yourself. And the people are gullible.

You take an authoritative position, and you can say just about anything and the majority of those under you will believe you.

I dare to say that it was the Boomers.
Their parents thought that their own thoughts and opinions came naturally to their children, didn't realize they had to teach them to their children. They also feared communism. So, they taught their children to challenge authority, in the instance communism took over. When it didn't, the children ended up challenging the only authority they had - their parents. They didn't have the same ideals and opinions as their parents, because it didn't come naturally to them like their parents thought. So - chaos. If their parent was for it, then they were against it. Ah, hippies...

And now we're so far ahead of history, and are such gullible people, that history itself can nearly be rewritten. It conflicts with what you WANT to believe? Oh, then it never happened! Simple. Goodness, DON'T LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKES. And we certainly don't want America's "ugly" history to be known... Yes, we had to do some unpleasant things. But we survived - it worked - life was good. We weren't on our foolish crusades for Democracy - which doesn't even WORK because everyone's so caught up in the idealism, they forget the realistic part to it. We were smart once... Sometimes you HAVE to do the ugly things in order for good to come of it. But now we want America to be the greatest place on earth, and we brag about our Democracy and acceptance of everyone...

You can't please everyone. It's going to crumble. It will not work.

*sigh*
Artwork: Tumblr
User avatar
Quagga
Baby Gecko
 
Posts: 1136
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:01 am

Re: Debate/Discussion Topic

Postby Alexander » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:53 pm

I also understand the stupidity in our system. I, however, have not come to realize their "changing of names" for bills to pass. I just hope that with every one that is obviously corrupted, we will all take action and petition and petition over again. Make them realize that we're not up for their corrupted thoughts anymore, and that if they don't stop with creating these bills and most of the Congress agrees with them, we will call them and say "Do not agree or I will no longer vote for you."
I bet it would stab their little hearts that they will no longer be a part of Congress if they vote yes. I'm guessing that this time we were successful due to how open and supportive a lot of web sites were for that "black out" day. I bet you that if we do this sort of thing more often for ridiculous bills, we will continue to be more successful on these corrupted bills trying to be passed out.
Another thing for me to say is that throughout our entire history, (as I'm taking US&VA History with an amazingly educated teacher) we never really were that smart. We were challenged by Great Britain while we were trying to come up with the Declaration of Independence. Even when Great Britain finally realized how big of a country we became, our Declaration of Independence became to be a little corrupt themselves. It implied white men as actual people. No women, and no blacks were allowed to be called "human".

I don't want to talk much about our history though. I do have an amazing history teacher (US&VA History), however I'd just like to say that throughout America's history, we were never really all that smart.
Image
Got #1 high score for goats! Woohoo!
User avatar
Alexander
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 3898
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:37 pm
Location: Srsly.

Re: Debate/Discussion Topic

Postby Quagga » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:47 pm

Compared to today, we were smarter back then, at least...
I hope it all gets fixed soon... I don't want to live in such a corrupt world... :c
Artwork: Tumblr
User avatar
Quagga
Baby Gecko
 
Posts: 1136
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:01 am

Re: Debate/Discussion Topic

Postby Alexander » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:58 pm

Quagga wrote:Compared to today, we were smarter back then, at least...
I hope it all gets fixed soon... I don't want to live in such a corrupt world... :c


Yeah, I understand. Didn't they also want to call Pizza a vegetable, when in the first place it was because of the tomatoes, but tomatoes are fruits?
Really? Rofl. Let's actually reason with presidents, let's get educated as to why our economy is falling again, let's learn how to fix it, let's not have the media make everything look so evil or so great, so dreamy. Let's also not make it opinionated, let's make it truthful and to the point.
Image
Got #1 high score for goats! Woohoo!
User avatar
Alexander
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 3898
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:37 pm
Location: Srsly.

Re: Debate/Discussion Topic

Postby Alias » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:02 pm

People keeping talking about SOPA. What is SOPA? x[ I tried looking it up, but...
Image Image Image

"Parents spend the first part of our lives teaching us to walk and talk, and the rest of it telling us to sit down and shut up."
Game Name: Guardian
User avatar
Alias
Baby Mouse
 
Posts: 459
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:52 am
Location: Behind you

Re: Debate/Discussion Topic

Postby Alexander » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:33 pm

Alias wrote:People keeping talking about SOPA. What is SOPA? x[ I tried looking it up, but...


SOPA is the "Stop Online Piracy Act".
It sounds well, but doesn't mean well.
I've listed a few links to help you guys understand what it is and what it will do if passed. Basically I would point to China, Syria, and Iran of which have censoring techniques added to their internet. Basically this Act would have violated our First Amendment.
I think this may help you understand a little more: http://graphjam.files.wordpress.com/201 ... ipedia.png
Image
Got #1 high score for goats! Woohoo!
User avatar
Alexander
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 3898
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:37 pm
Location: Srsly.

Re: Debate/Discussion Topic

Postby Alias » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:50 pm

Right... I see. Sounds a bit unfair, though. What I mean is, it's only for America, China, Syria and Iran (from what I've read). I can understand that they want to block sites from people who like to troll and so, but where it says 'sites that are visited daily' doesn't seem very reasonable to me. Someone should only be blocked when they've been trolling a lot on a particular site, not on every site they go on a lot. And I don't see why it's directed at Americans.
I'm not very into politics and such, so that's probably why I don't know what's been going on. So all the while there's been this... I don't know, discussion? About blocking sites. Have 'things' been going on in America?

Do correct me if I'm wrong.
Image Image Image

"Parents spend the first part of our lives teaching us to walk and talk, and the rest of it telling us to sit down and shut up."
Game Name: Guardian
User avatar
Alias
Baby Mouse
 
Posts: 459
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:52 am
Location: Behind you

Re: Debate/Discussion Topic

Postby Quagga » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:11 pm

Alexander wrote:Yeah, I understand. Didn't they also want to call Pizza a vegetable, when in the first place it was because of the tomatoes, but tomatoes are fruits?
Really? Rofl. Let's actually reason with presidents, let's get educated as to why our economy is falling again, let's learn how to fix it, let's not have the media make everything look so evil or so great, so dreamy. Let's also not make it opinionated, let's make it truthful and to the point.


I wasn't sure if the whole pizza thing was real, exaggerated, or what. o.o

Let's also start thinking REALISTICALLY. You can't rush into a country, knock out their authority and government, and expect "DEMOCRACY" to take over naturally; you need to stay in and help.

Look at it from their point of view, as well. They may view our morals as corrupted. We think it's so wonderful because it's how we've grown up, it's our culture... But it hardly means they agree and will see how wonderful this freedom is. We think that women being fully clothed except for their eyes is ridiculous, but it's just a different culture. It's just like how some cultures eat dog. Keep your nose out of places it doesn't belong, America, and focus on the more beneficial of things. If America can't even help itself, then how can she POSSIBLY help others?

Also, you can't win a war when the general spirit doesn't give up. You can slaughter an army, but it doesn't mean you rule the people.

Blahh I've been "brainwashed" by my one teacher into so much. But it all makes sense...
I could rant for a while yet, but I'll try to calm down and shut up.
Artwork: Tumblr
User avatar
Quagga
Baby Gecko
 
Posts: 1136
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:01 am

Re: Debate/Discussion Topic

Postby Alias » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:41 pm

It seems like a sudden change of topic, but I agree with Quagga. Every one has different opinions, sadly some don't learn how to respect them. If someone calls pizza a vegetable, then someone would step up to deny it. What they don't think is that we all think differently, so calling pizza a vegetable for some reason seems right to them.
It was some years ago, but I remember that covering your face and the rest of yourself with black was regarded as wrong, or at least there was some discussion about it. I started getting a bit "Well that's unfair! Can't they see that...!" So and so. Today I regard that as a little mistake. I understand fully what the reasons are for covering yourself from head to toe, but what I didn't think about was the people who thought it was wrong. They obviously felt it was a little uncomfortable for women to be dressed as ninjas as they walked around the streets, and I don't deny, I'm not too keen on ninjas.
But you see, everything has a reasons, some we don't know, and some we do. I've always lived my life reminding myself about that. That I should try my best to think of how people think and why they have a certain opinion on things.
Now about this SOPA thing, I don't know for sure, but my guess is that there probably have been some reports about trolling on many sites, and that's probably how the whole idea started.

I'll also add that no one should take my views personally, for reasons I fail to name, as I can't see why anyone should. But a lot of people have been taking my thoughts quite personally, recently.
Image Image Image

"Parents spend the first part of our lives teaching us to walk and talk, and the rest of it telling us to sit down and shut up."
Game Name: Guardian
User avatar
Alias
Baby Mouse
 
Posts: 459
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:52 am
Location: Behind you

Re: Debate/Discussion Topic

Postby animalguy888 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:15 pm

Image
Image
Image

"There is beauty in every Creature, Stone, and Plant. To find it you Just have to look for It."


Click here if you dare!...

Image
User avatar
animalguy888
Adult Gecko
 
Posts: 1546
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:42 am
Location: In the sky hunting for a hybrid between superman and bigfoot in an alternate universe

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron