Debate/Discussion Topic

All other discussions.

Moderator: Kenya

Alexander
Adult Rabbit

Debate/Discussion Topic

Post by Alexander »

Need something to talk about with others? Well, for one thing, do not make ANY debate into an ARGUMENT. I will say this now.. I will let you know when I either think or know it will become an argument.

Things I ask for;

-Follow the Forum's Rules. --> http://www.webearthonline.com/phpbb/vie ... hp?f=2&t=2
-No arguments
-Do not randomly come in and say "OMG ARGUMENT BAWWW *Spazz*" -- I will let it be known and will tell them to stop. If they continue, I will let Kenya know. I do NOT need people to come in here and complain.
-If you can't handle debates, don't come here. Please.
-If you don't have anything nice to say directly to someone, please do not say it at all.
-Debates are not meant to be taken personally.
-(This applies to the statement above) Keep debates in this thread only. I don't want to have to see someone saying how they dislike someone else because of a debate in here.
-Oh, let us not make this into a "Humans are bad, save the animals" topic either.
-To make this Topic successful, we need everyone here to go by these things I ask for. So please, if you do not follow, I will have to ask you to leave. If that does not work, I will let Kenya know.

Things to Know

What is a Debate?

Definitions:

-What you might want to consider or think about carefully.
-Debate or discussion in parliamentary procedure refers to discussion on the merits of a pending question; that is, whether it should or not be agreed to.
-Disputed, under discussion, not settled
-(Sort of from the Forum Rules) Sharing thoughts and opinions rather than trying to convince someone or forcing their opinion upon the other.

What is an argument?

Definitions:

-A discussion in which reasons are advanced for and against some proposition or proposal.
-A discussion that can become a verbal fight directly to the person opposing their opinion.
-(Straight out of the Forum Rules) An argument is typically people on different sides of an issue trying to prove that their stance is the right one. Arguments tend to get rather heated.

(Ideas of what to debate about would be great!)

Things to Debate About:

-Love
-Global Warming
-Technology
-Ninja v Pirate
-Cloning
-Bringing back the Dinosaurs through DNA
-Something brought up from another topic and you want to bring it here

To Be Continued...

PRIVILEGES:

Some debates can become arguments very quickly, so I will only allow these until I see that this community just can't handle it. I can and will take these away if needed. So, if ANYONE starts to sound like they are offended or that it may break out into an argument, I will say that this privilege is off entirely.

-Politics
-Creationism v Evolutionism
Got #1 high score for goats! Woohoo!
SouthernStar
Adult Rabbit

Re: Debate Topic

Post by SouthernStar »

How about the 2012 doom thingy? Anyone have any thoughts on that one?
For science!
LunaWolf
Adult Gecko

Post by LunaWolf »

I'm not sure what I believe on that. I don't think the WORLD will end, E.G, giant explosion blowing the whole thing up suddenly. Maybe there will be some sort of disaster though, plague? Fire? Robot uprising? Idk. Or maybe nothing will happen at all. I'm undecided on what I believe. I'm not too worried though, in any event. I'll be more scared of people that day, I bet a ton of people will be doing whatever they want on that day thinking it's the end and there will be no consequences. I'll probably stay home. x3
It'd we weird if the whole world just went *poof* and disappeared. "Hey guys, everything's fine, nothing happ-" *poof*
SouthernStar
Adult Rabbit

Post by SouthernStar »

*Be a doctor/shaman/whatever*

*Tell everyone they have 5 more months to live*

*Watch them fulfill their dreams.*

Maybe that's just what their trying to do ._.
For science!
Quagga
Baby Gecko

Post by Quagga »

I think it's just another silly hype. The world has never ended on the last predictions, and I won't start believing it now.
Artwork: Tumblr
nikikay
Baby Mouse

Post by nikikay »

SouthernStar wrote:How about the 2012 doom thingy? Anyone have any thoughts on that one?
I think that its all in our head. It all started out that the mayan calander ended on dec 21 2012. But there are many reasons why this could of happened. They could have died out. Or just not made the calander longer. Just because it ends on a certain date doesnt mean its the end of the world. Well thats what i think anyways.
ImageImageImageImageImage "Ill stop the whole world. Ill stop the whole world, from turn-in into a monster, and eating us alive!"
LunaWolf
Adult Gecko

Post by LunaWolf »

My friend joked the other day that because his calendar ended at December 31st, the world must be coming to an end then. x3
Mook
Adult Mouse
Location: Walking through a store randomly hitting people on the head with an empty plastic water bottle,fun!

Post by Mook »

Personally I think someone made it up to mess with us all, it would be funny XD I'd get a kick outta it, I love jokes :mrgreen:
No Steps Backward.

Size 95 - 84857d
Alrai
Baby Gecko

Post by Alrai »

I have seen absolutely no scientific evidence that would hint towards "the world ending" in 2012.

Of course you'd have to properly define "the world ending" first. Do you mean the extinction of the human race? This is of course possible, but again I have yet to see any scientific reason as to why you'd think humans would all be dead by some very specific date such as that.

Perhaps you mean the Earth would simply cease to exist by then? Well, this is also possible, but unlikely. The world will eventually stop existing, everything that exists will eventually stop existing, but there is no reason to think that the Earth's clock will finish ticking by such an early date as 2012.

So, define "the world ending", and perhaps share any reason as to why someone would actually buy into this idea? Besides the Mayan Calendar anyways, heh. I trust today's technology and science more than I'll I trust any ancient civilization's.
"Always be present."
-?
Alexander
Adult Rabbit

Post by Alexander »

The information about the calendar went overboard due to people freaking out about someone's thoughts. Just because someone thinks that the end of this Mayan calendar = end of the world, definitely does not mean anyone should be believing it. There are too many gullible people around here. If I told everyone in the world that tomorrow the sky would turn purple, I could only imagine how many people would believe that.
The Calendar's "End of World" theory has been proven false. It's just the media and people going on and on about it like it's true that's getting to everyone.

I haven't seen any scientific evidence that it has been proven, but I've seen very, very many scientific evidence that it is false.
Ayashe
Adult Cardinal

Post by Ayashe »

I'm definitely not religious, but if there is some being out there that controls all of this, would it really bow to man's speculations and theories and end the world on the date we predicted? That would seem kind of weak to me. :\ And Christian religion states that no one will know except Bob himself blah blah...

One thing that intrigues me is that the flu could be the thing to kill us all. c: You can only treat symptoms of the flu and try to prevent it, but there is no real cure. And if the flu can evolve enough to evade all of our attacks using medicine, then couldn't it wipe us all out? I doubt it would happen by 2012, though.
Alexander
Adult Rabbit

Post by Alexander »

There are many sicknesses that could probably evolve/become stronger over time. They may become immune to our antibiotics one day and.. well.. the rest depends on time and how we act about it.
I watched this movie in Biology that shows these people which go into rooms with these viruses. There are 1-5 steps, 5 being the worst and (currently) untreatable. They have to wear special suits and I believe their own oxygen tank so as to not breathe anything in from that room. I already forgot what the movie was called xD
But yeah the movie was like how you said. The virus was carried by a monkey (illegally brought to the US) which was let loose into the wild. It carried a virus of which had two different genes. One which was airborne, the other not.
Ayashe
Adult Cardinal

Post by Ayashe »

I know there are many out there, but the flu is just so common. It's cool to think (Well, actually it terrifies me to think about it. e.e I don't know if it's be considered a phobia or not, but anything to do with incurable diseases really freaks me out.) that something so 'everyday' could be the death of us. All of us.
And I think I've seen a movie similar to that, but I was too young to really understand what was going on. Kind of reminds me of the idea of viruses and diseases being used as a weapon in wars. That would be a complete nightmare. ;__;
Quagga
Baby Gecko

Post by Quagga »

I was reading a new article about a girl who cut her hand on her fish tank and got some odd infection that was eating away "skin and bone," according to the article. I couldn't help but read the comments, and I noticed one comment blaming the factories for causing this - that due to the factories' chemicals, it was affecting the germs, bacteria, etc. and helping them grow stronger, more dangerous, and able to resist vaccines. While it could have been a stab in the dark, it sounds a bit reasonable to me - what if these factories are helping these germs? But, yes, I can't call it truth quite yet...

Also, I might add - it's not a bad idea to let your kid play in the dirt. It's actually more harmful if you're a "clean freak;" you aren't introducing your body to the germs, so you aren't building up your immune system. Therefore, you're more likely to get sick if you are a "clean freak." My one friend is the kind of person who undoubtedly got into a lot of dirt when he was little, and wasn't quite very... "healthy," in the sense that he'd even eat food that fell on the floor. Yet, he says that he has never gotten sick.

Although I'm not discouraging washing your hands, showering, etc., hygiene is still important. :P But I also wouldn't encourage sitting in a garbage can... But some dirt and all that doesn't hurt in the end.
Artwork: Tumblr
Døøm Dragøn
Adult Fox

Post by Døøm Dragøn »

Yes, I heard that kids who are exposed to more of the outside world are less likely to get sick. It builds their immune systems while the kids who do not become weak. I knew this one girl at school who's parents were complete neat freaks and such. She was only allowed to eat the very organic and also disgusting foods, even when I offered her a cookie she was scared to take it, saying her parents would be furious. The girl couldn't really keep up with school work as she always called in sick. We thought she was just lying and envied her. It turns out she was really sick as she died a few weeks after she was admitted to the hospital. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with her parents being very protective of the world but it sure seems like it.
My Minion Army!|
===========
Image-OBLIVERATE!
ImageImage-Kill the disgrace!
Image-Destwoy!