What kind of pet should I get?

Discuss the live critter cams, animals and green topics around the planet.

Moderators: Kenya, webearthonline

hoopyscoop
Adult Gecko

What kind of pet should I get?

Post by hoopyscoop »

Okay, so I have 2 cats, and 2 small dogs...
I really want a hamster, but I’m not sure how good my other pets will react to it... Should I maybe get a bigger pet?
Like a ferret or a rabbit?

(If this is in the wrong place, move it please)

EDIT:
The only thing I’m scared of with getting small pets: My two male chihuahuas are territorial. And rough players, their like brothers though, and they won’t hurt eachother... But... They may hurt small animals like gerbils and such. Also my cats: Smokey and Pumpkin, Pumpkin is very calm, is the cat that bites you if you run, (It doesn’t hurt) She acts like you’re her little kitten, she also tried to eat my two gerbils... Smokey is also calm, but easily afraid of loud noises, and runs very fast...
Paco and Petey, my two chihuahuas, their really nice, yet hyper. Petey is more calm... Paco looks like he just ate 50 bags of sugar and runs all over the place like a manic.

Now my gerbils: Whitey and Wiggles, were best friends... Til’ they fought over food... And killed eachother... My mom read, that once gerbils draw blood... It’s a fight to the death...

My other cat Mosey: She died of sickness, I didn’t get to say goodbye either...

And I don’t want a small animal like a hamster dying on the spot.

EDIT2:
Do you think cats and dogs will react good to a hamster?
Icon = Fluttershy = not mine.
StarWolf
Adult Cardinal

Re: What kind of pet should I get?

Post by StarWolf »

It'd be about the same as a gerbil. Dogs would see it moving, think "oh a toy" and then grab it or something. Cat's would probably just go for it because it is moving, and my declawed cat has managed to catch and kill mice without a problem.
I guess just don't let the dogs or cats have access to it? My mom had a hamster once and had it in its exercise ball with her dachshunds in the same room and thought it'd be fine. The dogs managed to open the ball and ate the hamster. :/
http://tea-shell.deviantart.com/

InGame name: Esari or Starwolf
I respond to StarWolf/Star or Teashell/Tea
Saebre
Baby Mouse

Post by Saebre »

Hm...
Well, when I was little, I had a parakee.
You could get a parakee, and keep it in a cage. That's what I did because it was at my grandma and grandpas house.
If its locked in a cage, the cats possible couldn't get to it.
"Losers quite when they're tired. Winners quite when they've won"
-Unknown

"Everytime you fall it's only making your chin strong"
- Gym Class Heros, The Fighter

Old forum name- Jezibel2101Image
Alias
Baby Mouse

Post by Alias »

Maybe a pet caterpillar? :D My one's crawling around on my hand xD They're really easy to look after. I give mine washed tomato leaves and change his leaves and clean his container twice a day. They're really cute when they eat and check out your palm, but you have to be super gentle with them. Plus you can learn about how they turn into moths/butterflies
Image Image Image

"Parents spend the first part of our lives teaching us to walk and talk, and the rest of it telling us to sit down and shut up."
Game Name: Guardian
animalguy888
Adult Gecko
Location: In the sky hunting for a hybrid between superman and bigfoot in an alternate universe

Post by animalguy888 »

If your looking for a long living pet I suggest skipping the hamster choice. Hamsters have an extremely short lifespan. My sister's dwarf hamster only lived to be 2 years old. We only had her with us for 1 year before she died.Hamsters have an average lifespan of about 2 to 3 years. Some dwarf hamsters rarely exceed a 2 year life expectancy. I suggest geting a cockatiel. Their average lifespan is 12 to 15 years. Some even make it to the ages of 20 and 30.
However cockatiel's a very dusty birds and there cages need to be cleaned regularly.
Maybe a pet caterpillar? My one's crawling around on my hand xD They're really easy to look after. I give mine washed tomato leaves and change his leaves and clean his container twice a day. They're really cute when they eat and check out your palm, but you have to be super gentle with them. Plus you can learn about how they turn into moths/butterflies
By the way alias I would not recomend that. They only have a lifespan of 20-40 days. However it depends on the species but it's still not very long. Some live 3-4 days, Others live only 6 months. Either way I would not recomend an animal tha lives for even less than a hamster. Otherwise you will be dissappointed when it dies after a short preriod of time.

"There is beauty in every Creature, Stone, and Plant. To find it you Just have to look for It."

Click here if you dare!...

Foxesrule
Cardinal Chick

Post by Foxesrule »

Well, I'm suggesting you my dream pet:

A snake!

(Boa constrictor, if possible.)
Your neighbourhood moderator.
Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or just want to chat. c:
what am i doing with my life..?
Alrai
Baby Gecko

Post by Alrai »

The lifespan of the pet should definitely be considered. However, sometimes animals with shorter lifespans are more suitable for people. For example, if you buy a hamster, but quickly become displeased with it, then you do not have to wait 20 years to be rid of it like you would if you bought a longer-living pet! If you are going to buy a pet that will be around for a long time, then make sure you will be able and willing to take care of it the entire span of time it'll be with you.

I personally do not recommend ferrets, they are mischievous and very high maintenance. Ferrets will need to be let loose to run around and explore in order to be content. This puts them in danger if they are put in an area containing any other larger pets, like cats or dogs. They also tend to move things around, like stray socks or other small items, and store them in impossible places.
I have less experience with rabbits. I hear they are less mischievous than ferrets, but with equally as high maintenance.

Hamsters can be put in a cage, safe from your other pets. They are lower maintenance, but still fun.
"Always be present."
-?