Pet Caterpillar

Discuss the live critter cams, animals and green topics around the planet.

Moderators: Kenya, webearthonline

Alias
Baby Mouse

Pet Caterpillar

Post by Alias »

My dad found a caterpillar on our tomato plant, so he brought it inside for me as a lesson on how caterpillars turn into butterflies. So far I've made a little schedule to clean the container and give fresh leaves to it twice a day. Here's my little buddy:

I don't know what it's gender is, but I refer to it as a 'he'. His name is Ye Zi (meaning 'leaf' in chinese) I love watching him eat and crawl around on my hand. I have little idea of how his tiny body works, but it's fascinating watching him.
Anyone else raised a caterpillar before?
Last edited by Alias on Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Image Image Image

"Parents spend the first part of our lives teaching us to walk and talk, and the rest of it telling us to sit down and shut up."
Game Name: Guardian
hoopyscoop
Adult Gecko

Re: Pet Caterpillar

Post by hoopyscoop »

That's really neat! And cute. I love catterpillars!
Icon = Fluttershy = not mine.
Alias
Baby Mouse

Post by Alias »

h00pysc00p wrote:That's really neat! And cute. I love catterpillars!
The little guy is adorable ;] He's so cute when he eats too. Since I don't have a pet and I'm saving up for one, I'm taking care of him to pass the time
Image Image Image

"Parents spend the first part of our lives teaching us to walk and talk, and the rest of it telling us to sit down and shut up."
Foxesrule
Cardinal Chick

Post by Foxesrule »

I want one! XD.

As long as it wouldn't escape and crawl into my bed room or any other room, there's spdiers everywhere in my house.

Anyway, if you haven't already, try putting some soil or something on the bottom to make it more 'homely'. If you can, give him some more leaves and clean out his jar, or whatever, daily.
Your neighbourhood moderator.
Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or just want to chat. c:
what am i doing with my life..?
animalguy888
Adult Gecko
Location: In the sky hunting for a hybrid between superman and bigfoot in an alternate universe

Post by animalguy888 »

me and my family used to do this all the time. Another thing we did is when my mom got rid of a bees nest one summer we kept the hive filled with dead stages of their life. We examined the contents of the hive and the texture of it and learned some interesting things.

"There is beauty in every Creature, Stone, and Plant. To find it you Just have to look for It."

Click here if you dare!...

Grep42
Adult Gecko
Location: Cretaceous Mongolia; Hanging with my velociraptor friends.

Post by Grep42 »

Sure have! I once owned five monarch butterfly caterpillars.
Vegan: The other white meat.
Alias
Baby Mouse

Post by Alias »

Ye Zi now has a leafy jungle (my dad gave him loads of leaves while I was at a sleep over) in his new container (a tall square one, easy to clean out) He eats a lot during the night, and by morning the little guy's exhausted xD I did some more research on raising caterpillars, and discovered that I'll be looking after him for another few weeks before he turns into a moth or a butterfly. I don't know what species he is, but he looks a bit like this:
http://www.meades.org/photos_from_the_g ... llar_2.jpg
Warning: The picture is pretty big, but nice and detailed. If anyone knows what Ye Zi is, do tell :3
Image Image Image

hoopyscoop
Adult Gecko

Post by hoopyscoop »

Alias wrote:Ye Zi now has a leafy jungle (my dad gave him loads of leaves while I was at a sleep over) in his new container (a tall square one, easy to clean out) He eats a lot during the night, and by morning the little guy's exhausted xD I did some more research on raising caterpillars, and discovered that I'll be looking after him for another few weeks before he turns into a moth or a butterfly. I don't know what species he is, but he looks a bit like this:
http://www.meades.org/photos_from_the_g ... llar_2.jpg
Warning: The picture is pretty big, but nice and detailed. If anyone knows what Ye Zi is, do tell :3
Ooh! I’ve seen one of those! It was in my backyard, I didn’t want my dogs to eat it so I moved it by a tree where my dogs don’t go.
I also like getting pet caterpillars. Their fun to take care of. Anyway. How long have you had Ye Zi?
Icon = Fluttershy = not mine.
Alias
Baby Mouse

Post by Alias »

I've had him for 2 days.
Image Image Image

Alrai
Baby Gecko

Post by Alrai »

Perhaps you could update us as he grows and changes?
"Always be present."
-?
KibaWolf
Adult Gecko

Post by KibaWolf »

YEAH! :D