Wolf at zoo kills handler

Discuss the live critter cams, animals and green topics around the planet.

Moderators: Kenya, webearthonline

Vargen Saphia
Adult Cardinal

Wolf at zoo kills handler

Post by Vargen Saphia »

I heard about this on the radio yesterday:
I used google translate cause i didn't feel like translating this by hand...
A wolf has killed a female attendant at Kolmården zoo. The incident occurred on Sunday morning. The woman was in her 30s. The wolves will not be killed, said managers at Kolmården.
Wolf The enclosure at Kolmården zoo. PHOTO: SCANPIX
June 17th, 2012 at 13:43, Updated: June 17, 2012 at 22:47
Norrköping Police were alerted at 11:18 for a keeper being attacked in the wolf enclosure.

- She was so badly injured that she died in the attack. Then they succeeded in other animal keepers to remove wolves from the area so that you could go in and get rid of the body, says Magnus Holmstrom, spokesman at Norrköping police.

Kolmården held in the afternoon a press conference about the incident.

- What has happened is terrible. A close friend and co-workers have lost their lives today, said Kolmårdens zoological director Mats Höggren according Aftonbladet.se who were there.

There are no witnesses to the incident and the zoo has no theories about what has triggered the attack.

Mats Höggren told TT that the woman was experienced and used to hang out with the wolves. It is not uncommon for personnel enter one by one in wolves' enclosure.

Why radio contact suddenly broke is still unclear, but all procedures have been followed.

- When the unit stopped went to her colleagues at the scene and found her in the wolf enclosure. They responded immediately, saying Höggren.

Kolmården chose initially not to go out with any information to zoo visitors, nor on their website.

- It was in view of the woman's relatives. We were naturally anxious to ensure that employees and their relatives would be informed about what has happened and we did not catch at all. We considered together with the police that it was not feasible, says Mats Höggren.

TT: Will the wolves to be killed?

- Not as it looks now. We change course arrangements and make sure that we really follow this up in a sensible and orderly way.

So far the wolf enclosure closed for visitors.

- We should consider whether we can keep this or not, it goes without saying.

Mats Höggren, who is also chairman of the Swedish zoo association, has never heard of any similar incident.

- This is what I know, quite unique, he says.

- It is an extremely tragic event for all of us. People are in shock. We have put all the resources we have at our disposal and try to help as much as we can.

There were eight wolves in the enclosure, but it is unclear how many people were involved in the attack.

Previously, emergency services said that the first could not get through to the wolves.

While awaiting the ambulance sent afraid insertion service where staff but they could not get around to the woman.

- The wolves did not want to be in, says Jan Tengeborg, management officers of emergency services in West Yorkshire.

He also reports that rescue workers were met with shocked people at the scene.

- It has started up a crisis center at Kolmården that takes care of staff, said Jan Tengeborg.

Relatives have been informed.

The event is entitled to a workplace accident. The police will investigate whether the zoo has followed the precautionary and have also contacted the Work Environment Authority, writes Östgöta-Correspondenten. During Sunday afternoon and evening there was a technical investigation of the site.

Kolmården will be open on Monday.
source: Svenska dagbladet
ImageImageImageImage
NatureHeart
Cardinal Chick

Re: Wolf at zoo kills handler

Post by NatureHeart »

That's awful! Oh, poor them! I hope the wolves don't get killed! I hope the families will heal, even though it leaves a scar in their life... :(

I also wonder why the wolves attacked... Maybe she forgot not to do something and it happened? Maybe if there was a new wolf it didn't know she wasn't prey? I don't know, but I hope this goes down reasonably!
Cheer up!
Be silly!
♥ And fly! ♥
hoopyscoop
Adult Gecko

Post by hoopyscoop »

Was the wolf injured? It could be protecting itself..
Poor person though. That’s kinda sad.. :cry:
Icon = Fluttershy = not mine.
Vargen Saphia
Adult Cardinal

Post by Vargen Saphia »

- Why the accident could happen is impossible to answer because there are no eyewitnesses. Police is currently conducting a forensic examination of the wolf enclosure, and we will afterwards be able to say how it happened, says Mats Höggren, Kolmården zoological director.
He explained further that the employee, a woman in her 30s, had been inside the wolf group is a so-called socialized, to maintain contact with the wolves belonging to the public activity at Kolmården that takes in guests and visitors.
- It is included as a routine that employees on a regular basis to stay on-one with their wolves to maintain relationships, says Mats Höggren.
Meanwhile, as an employee in the possession of the wolves, the person to have contact with colleagues on the outside through a komradion. What happened today was that the woman had not been heard of and a colleague who went to the pasture to look after, they found the woman lifeless.
- The wolves are not usually aggressive, but we have had minor incidents with the game gone overboard, he says.
Relatives have been notified and a crisis team has been appointed to Kolmården employees.
All close encounters between wolves and humans stopped now Kolmården and safety procedures will be reviewed. None of the wolves have been killed.
Police headlining this event as a workplace accident.
Again google translate. Live with it.
Source: Sveriges radio: ekot (sweden's radio: the echo)
ImageImageImageImage
NatureHeart
Cardinal Chick

Post by NatureHeart »

Well, I'm relieved the wolves aren't lifeless now! But poor women!
Cheer up!
Be silly!
♥ And fly! ♥
niallz299
Baby Mouse

Post by niallz299 »

I'm glad they didn't kill the wolves but poor lady RIP
That girl you just called fat? Shes over-dosing on diet pills. That girl you called ugly? She spends hours putting make up on. That boy you made fun of for crying? His mother is dying. 95% of you won't re-post this, but those of you with a heart will.
Summerbreeze
Adult Mouse

Post by Summerbreeze »

Well, to be fair, this is not the first time that this has happend, even if there were no witnesses, they should have survaillence cameras anywhere that houses wild animals. Maybe the zoo should have had more protection for the zookeepers, because if you don't have at least minimum protection, or a camera, it is almost bound to happen.
And yeah, it's a zoo, you are dealing with wild animals, so somone might get hurt. This might have even been this womans fault. I find it almost ironic that this would happen, because for me, this goes back to the "Zoos; good or bad" topic. Anyways I am kind of going off trail, anyways, maybe they should of had something like a buddy system for people dealing with wild animals?
Forget everything that happened, the wolves, the lady, the death, forget all of that, and then think of possible ways that it could have been prevented. And even domesticated animals can be unpredictable, so of course wild animals can be too! Deaths happen, they happen everyday. But for me, what is sad about this one in particular, is that this one could have been prevented, and even I can see that. But then again, this attack is like any other, not extra-ordinary at all. And then again maybe the animal should be put down
And if you disagree with my opinion about this and hate me because of it, thats okay, because if you're judging me I'm probably judging you right back.
Last edited by Summerbreeze on Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You got enemies? Good, that means you actually stood up for something in your life. ♥
Alrai
Baby Gecko

Post by Alrai »

Deaths such as these, in supposedly controlled environments, are most usually due to human error, be it the zoo's or the deceased. These wolves should be considered dangerous, and monitored much more closely from now on. Perhaps we should all understand that an animal will only be put down if it is considered the safest and best option for everyone.
"Always be present."
-?
Vargen Saphia
Adult Cardinal

Post by Vargen Saphia »

International researcher comments the tragedy of Kolmården
Posted by Jan Särnesjö on Monday, June 18, 2012

The news of the brutal wolf attack on Kolmården yesterday quickly spread across the world and during the night had Varg Fakta received comments from internationally known researchers.
Valerius Geist, Professor Emeritus and former associate of Nobel laureate Konrad Lorenz regrets what happened, and refers to the wolves, which carried out research on wolves in captivity:
"Erich and I had a close relationship when we both worked with Konrad Lorenz and was educated ethologists *. Erich fed me constantly with information about how dangerous wolves are in captivity, although they were reared and turned the people, and at Wolf Park ** worked really with it.
He was the first who observed the revolts within established wolf packs in captivity - that wolves could suddenly turn against their own pack members and kill them. (Wolf Facts have taken up two cases from Calgary and Cleveland)
I remember the example of (wolf) sons and daughters have turned against their dominant fathers and mothers and killed them. Adult wolves are very aware of the social hierarchy and they are constantly on the lookout for opportunities to improve their status. Once scientists realized this was also no bit more, said Erich for me.
For revolts included, also, Erich and his stockman. He told me once how a big alpha male stood with his front paws on Erich's shoulders (Erich was about 180 cm) and growled and dreglat just centimeters from his face. Erich himself stood motionless.
Wolves are looking for weaknesses, and none with as much as förkylningssympton allowed to go into the shadow of fear of attack!
Wolves was appointed investigators after the attack on 24-year-old biologist Trisha Wyman as April 18, 1996 was killed by a captive wolf pack in Ontario. Erich was shocked when that all employees of Haliburton, that "they were amazed at the death 'of wolves attacking not men!'" What ignorance!
The big threat from wolves in captivity is that they always remain aware of their rank and want to explore every opportunity to improve it. This is precisely what makes these beloved minions so dangerous.
No one knows this better than Frank family and I know that (Professor) Harry and Martha will comment on the incident. I can see their bettärriga legs in front of me. A proof of a lifelong study of wolves in captivity. "
Best regards
Selection Gel

Professor Harry Frank, University of Michigan
Letter from Harry Frank received indeed this morning. Here he writes:
"My view is that what people - trained or untrained - often misunderstand is that intercourse with wolves, taming, never pull the wolf into the human world. The only thing that makes it focuses breeding, but such a wolf is actually called the "dog".
A tamed wolves invite the other hand, the man in his own world. A world I would like to emulate the 1400-century political dynasties, with a kiss on the cheek one moment may well be followed by a stab in the back of the next.
I often thought that our wolf pack resembled di Medici court. Each individual keeps watch on his neighbor for the best opportunity to rise through the ranks. And a two-legged pack member is just as viable in the race as a four-legged.
It is what distinguishes this attack from byte attack. Quite different parameters are, the behavior is different.
Wolves did not write much but anyone who has daily contact with the wolves in captivity should read what he wrote in our book. He and Pat *** did a fantastic job when they described the mechanisms that allowed us to go among the wolves, almost like anthropologists of a remote native tribe, and study them without disturbing the wolves' social structure and behavior. "
Harry.

Useful Literature
The book that Harry Frank refers to is Man and Wolf - Advances, Issues and Problems in Captive Wolf Research from 1987. This applies in particular pages 31-60 socialization and Management of Wolves in Captivity by wolves and Ann Goodman. Here is the section "How to save a person from attack."
Wolf Facts have found it in Google Books. Just to load.

* Ethology is the study of animal behavior. The most famous ethologist is probably Konrad Lorenz (1903-1989, Nobel Prize in Physiology / Medicine in 1973 "for Their discoveries Concerning organization and elicitation of individual and social behavior patterns").
** Wolf Park was Erich Kling Hammer's daily work. A zoological center in Battle Ground, Indiana, which is still in operation.
*** Pat was Erich Kling Hammer's wife.
Kolmården admits earlier events
Posted by Jan Särnesjö on Monday, June 18, 2012

An article in today's Göteborgsposten admits representatives from Kolmården Zoo to the existence of serious wolf attacks earlier in both Kolmården and other places in Sweden.
This morning, Göteborg Posten published an updated article about the developments after the tragic death in Kolmården Zoo yesterday.
The article was largely written after today's press conference, where representatives of Kolmården admitted that there were serious wolf attack in Swedish zoo even earlier.
- There are no similar historical events in Sweden, said the wolf manager Mats Höggren.
It feels liberating to Kolmården spontaneously take up this as yesterday's newspaper interviews gave a clearly misleading picture of actual conditions.
Experts Jonas Wahlström, Olof Liberg and Zoo Association chairman Thomas Frisk was interviewed and stated separately that they had never heard of similar attacks. Either in Sweden or abroad.
This is despite the numerous attacks occurred in the Swedish, Norwegian and Russian zoos and that one of the world's most paraphrasing wolf attacks in modern times was almost a mirror image of the tragedy at Kolmården.

Previous incidents at Kolmården
The most interesting part of today's statements is that Kolmården reveals completely other incidents than those omskrivits in the media. Should we interpret Göteborg Posten reports, it is even relatively common.
- Previously, when we have had minor incidents we have seen the behavior of wolves coming down slowly. But here we had no evidence to bear in mind, said a representative of the zoo's management.
This quote suggests, therefore, that the staff experienced a sufficient number of incidents in order to be able to talk about stealthy behavior and "character" in a statistical sense, as something that billow and change over time.
Why they still continued with the internal and external operations, despite these repeated warning signs, one may ask. It must have been reported from elsewhere.
For example, from Hanover, where a female wolf keeper in May 2007, one arm avbiten. Or 2006, when an attendant in the Norwegian Langedrag Nature Park was attacked by The female which was later euthanized.

Documentation for the future
What Kolmårdens representatives mean by "minor incident" is not clear but it should be anything but what happened yesterday.
Now that wolf activity punishable by jail, it would be desirable to have a public investigation of the incidents referred to and the extent to which they enjoyed, their numbers as well as to injury.
In this way we can get a record that can hopefully prevent the same things happening again.
We have previously reported on a number of incidents that preceded the wolf tragedy at Kolmården Zoo on Sunday, but now another victim stepped forward.
- The bit and tore and chewed on my head, says the pseudonym Helena in Monday's online edition of Aftonbladet.
The background is that Helena in August 2008 came with her boyfriend to Kolmården Zoo where they would beat wolves. The event was a gift from Helena.
The pair were part of a group of 10-15 people who went into the enclosure. This day there were six wolves there and it was important that the guide's instructions were followed.
- The guide told us to kneel down to the wolves could see us, and informed that wolves tend to nibble on one's nose, says Helena.
- A wolf came up and nibbled my nose and managed to push me down. I landed on his back, and within seconds I had all six wolves on me. The biting and tearing at me. I felt in particular that one of them was chewing on my head.

The details are
She still remembers the incident in detail.
- I slept with her face and had his arms to protect the neck. It must have been a survival instinct. I could hear the snorting and felt the bite. A wolf was shut up over the back of his head at me. Afterwards, I had bruises, bumps and open sores, primarily on the face and arms. But even in places I did not even noticed that I was bitten, as the ankle.
Helena can not determine exactly how long the attack lasted.
- It took maybe a minute. My guy came up and tried to pull them away. Then managed to guide get me up. The wolves then continued to lunge at me. They jumped up and bit and tore at my hair.

Helena was a "toy"
- The guide said: "Now you are their toys." He grabbed the lead wolf and pushed her into the ground to show for the other animals in the group that it was not okay. But it took several minutes to calm down the wolves.
Although Helen was upset and hurt by the attack allowed her not to leave the visit the group and enclosure.
- This happened when we had only been in there for five minutes, and the visit would be for 1.5 hours. I explained that I did not want to be left in there, but the guide said: "You must not go. Then they have won. " He assured me that something like this has ever happened before.
Helena adds that the guide did not seem to care about her.
- The funny thing was that the wizard did not ask what it was, wondering if I needed care, or so afterwards. When we finally left the enclosure he just said "Bye". I looked like a wreck, and was in shock. It lasted a good while afterwards. I did not see the pictures we took from there, then tied it in the stomach.
Despite the drama, Helena has nothing against Kolmårdens wolves. Instead, she believes that the problem is that people are allowed to stay with them.
2010s
17 June 2012. Kolmården Zoo, Sweden. A female zookeepers who at 11 o'clock in the morning are inside the wolf enclosure, will be surrounded by pack of wolves that attack and kill her. When police and rescue teams arrive at the site are the wolves and tearing the woman's body. The wolves are very aggressive and rejects any attempt by the team to get into the enclosure. Rescue team will then form a chain flanked by an armed guard, and after half an hour can be tackled wolves away and the woman's body carried out. Source: Aftonbladet, and its own article.
April 2012 (date published). Kolmården Zoo, Sweden. A 15-year-old girl visiting the wolf enclosure with his family. Something goes wrong and one of the wolves bite girl hard in the thigh. She runs in the first ambulance to Norrköping to sew and then to Linköping to receive antibiotic therapy. According to Mats Höggren, zoological director at the zoo, attacked the wolf that the girl was afraid of wolves. Source: Norrkoping's newspapers and its own article.
March, 2012. Cleveland, Ohio, USA. A tame wolf, which, amazingly, bought on the Internet runs away from a private home and creates discomfort in the neighborhood before stopping by a dog catching squad. A neighbor reported that the wolf came loose before, and it will then be seen with a cat in the jaws. Source: Report HSUS - Overview of Captive Wildlife Issues in Ohio, page 27, 2012.
9 September 2011. Private zoo, Brest, France. The newspapers report that a woman visited a hospital for treatment of severe wolf bites. A police investigation shows that the woman driving an illegal zoo include wolves in the home. Source: The Local - France, on 9 September 2011. Even as a PDF.
8 June 2011. Minnesota Zoo, Apple Valley, Minnesota. A Mexican gråvarg forcing itself out of its enclosure, jumping over a 2.4 meters (8 feet) high fence and ran in among park visitors. The staff is quick off the mark and kill the wolf already after 11 minutes before any person had come to harm. "No one would expect at the zoo, it was an unfortunate situation," said the visitor Duane Hoffman afterwards. "In this situation the wolves can be very intimidating and aggressive," said the head of the zoo, Tony Fisher. Source: Elements of the American news channel Kare 11th
14 March 2011. Jungle Cat World, Orono, Ontario, Canada. A Wolf escapes from zoo, Jungle Cat World, but that the staff remembers. The wolf is discovered by a resident outside of Orono which triggers an alarm when there are children playing nearby. Wolf chose cattle instead and was shot by a farmer next to a shelter for cattle at three thirty in the afternoon. Source: Article on Clarington.com.
30 July 2010. Kolmården Zoo, Sweden. Three years after Arne Weise assaulted by Kolmårdens wolves happened again. A young woman was released into the wolf enclosure of a guide. A wolf came up and nibbled the woman in the clothes. Suddenly the wolf tore her down on the ground and took off her cardigan. The dress tearing. Then bet the wolf while the left arm. The woman managed to flee the wolf enclosure with a deep bite in the arm. According Kolmårdens zoologist was the yearling wolf "only contact applicants and the attack was not an expression of aggression." Source: Aftonbladet. Although Wolf Facts have written about the case.
July 28, 2010, Lycksele Zoo, Sweden. A 10-year-old girl was visiting at Lycksele Zoo with her mom. The girl wanted to examine the wolf behind the zoo fence, but when she got too close to the wolf bit her in the foot and would not let go even though the mother pulled the wolf. A person had to jump over and kick the wolf on the nose. The girl was in addition to the foot bite in the right index finger, and was taken to Lycksele Hospital for treatment. - They get food every day, not this happened because of hunger anyway. We can rule out, said Ronny Steel Mountain Animal manager at Lycksele Zoo. Source: Expressen.se
July 2010. Lincoln Park, Illinois, USA. A five year old boy attacked while he was asleep, killed and partially eaten up by the stepfather's tame wolf hybrid *. Both parents were asked in June 2011 trial for "manslaughter for gross negligence." According to law the parents knew that the wolf hybrid was dangerous but failed nevertheless to take steps to protect the child. Source: Article in The Daily Mail.
7 June 2010. Osijek Zoo. Croatia. An eight-year-old girl is attacked and severely bitten in the fingers after holding the fence around the wolf enclosure. The damage was to sew but the girl is reported to be deeply shocked by the incident. Zoo veterinarian, Jadranko Boras, said to be "amazed at the behavior of wolves" and says that "it is difficult to explain." Source: Croatia Times on 7 June 2010.
25 March 2010. Bellevue, Sandusky County, Ohio. A very large wolf at 55 kg (120 lb) shot after along with two other wolves have been checking on the city's junior school, York. The genetic test after the autopsy shows only 98 percent wolf genes. The rest is German shepherd and Alaskan Malamute. Through research, the police may hold of a kennel owner in the neighborhood who have kept the wolf, and later sold it to a customer. Wolf hybrid * have then either escaped or been released. "This wolf was huge. I would not like to face it and especially not unarmed, "said local wildlife police officer Brian Bury. Source: Article by D'Arcy Egan at Cleveland.com den 25 March 2010.
January 9, 2010, Skåne Zoo, Hoor, Sweden. Five wolves bit out of the enclosure and immediately attacked the animals inside the area. A deer, a deer and two sheep were killed. The wolves were also headed for the seals. It was Saturday and the staff quickly evacuated all visitors before anyone could be harmed. All 12 wolves Skåne Zoo had shot the same day of the zoo's staff. Sources: Press release Scania Animal Park and Skanska Dagbladet.
* A wolf hybrid is a cross between wolves and dogs, usually husky or Laika. Wolf Hybrids are often considered more dangerous than purebred wolves when they inherited a combination of wild and domestic properties which make them particularly unafraid of humans. More detailed information can be found here.

2000s
9 July 2008. Basler Zoo, Basel, Switzerland. The railing to the wolf enclosure defects and a ten year old boy on a school trip to Basel fall into the water on hägnets inside. A wolf (of three) are attacking and biting the boy hard in the head. A visitor manages to keep away the wolves with a backpack and the boy can be pulled to safety. Ten year old survives but taken to the hospital. Zoo representative says that "the wolf attacked because it was scared." Source: Schweizer Fernzehen.
6 May 2007. Kolmården Zoo, Sweden. At the opening of Tiger World on Kolmården Zoo submits to the 50 kg heavy alpha male Tornado over television profile Arne Weise and beats him to the ground. The attack is preceded by growling and is not kindly meant. The other two wolves also ran out. Arne Weise shocked by the incident but can do without injury. - It's okay, I have bred them with a bottle when they were little, 'said Thomas Lind, Kolmården wolf manager. Source: Expressen.

Arne Weise unexpectedly overturned evicted by snarling wolves during an opening ceremony at Kolmården in 2007. Photo: Leif Hallberg. From the article in Expressen.
6 May 2007. Hannover Zoo, Germany. A female wolf nurse was severely injured in an arm and a leg after trying to counterattack in the park's wolf pack in an adjacent building where they were fed. The woman was inattentive for a moment and a young wolf grabbed the attendant's the one what. When she tried to free himself, she instead arm avbiten. Despite this, the woman retained presence of mind and alerted colleagues via their mobile phones. The attacking wolves were killed. Source: Art in Focus, 2007.
12 April 2007. Prague Zoo, Czech Republic. Two wolves attacked a five-year boy who arrived at the fence. The boy was taken to Fakultní Nemocnice Na Bulovce-hospital care. After this attack, the second in a short time, changed the fences around the wolves out. - The wolves have been here at the zoo, behind the fence for six years without any problems. I do not know what it is but something has changed in our wolves, said zoo manager for the renovation. Many European zoo was thinking of rebuilding after the incident, including the Nuremberg Zoo which had the same sub-standard solution for the wolf enclosure. Source: The Prague Post.
7 April 2007. Prague Zoo, Czech Republic. 14-year-old Catherine Kolssons puppy jumped to a shelter with six Eurasian wolves. Your puppy was immediately bitten and held. Kolssons friend Tetiana Kagui, who stuck his hand through the fence to save the dog, was badly bitten. The hand was sewn with 20 stitches. Puppy died. Source: The Prague Post.
December 2006 (reported to the media June 26, 2007). Langedrag Nature Park, Norway. Female wolf Embla was unexpectedly attacked an attendant who entered the enclosure to perform a routine chore. Embla were sacrificed one week after the attack. "We have heard fra other dyreparker at tispene you tøffere og vanskelige the stole 100 prosent on. It wanted være boar by meg on insistere on at dette aldri kunne skjedd igjen. "Said Lang Drags Officer attendants Tuva Thorson to Laagendalsposten. Source: Article in Laagendalsposten, also available as PDF.
July 2006. Salem Township, Pennsylvania. Nine wolf hybrids * in a private enclosure suddenly kills his owner, Sandra L Piovesan. The neighbors were not fond of the enclosure when Mrs. Piovesan often took road kill that spread stench in the area. According to neighbors, wolf hybrids are treated almost as a child and Mrs. Piovesan supposed to have once said about the minions are that "they give me unconditional love." Source: Pittsburgh Post Gazette on 19 July 2006. Reproduced on page 7 in When do Wolves Become Dangerous to Humans? by Valerius Geist in its investigation of the case, Kenton Carnegie, Saskatchewan 2007th
2 April 2006. Nakhodka Zoo, Nakhodka, Russia. Two eight year old boys went to the wolf enclosure. When one boy held out his hand to try to pet a wolf bit the persistent. Another wolf grabbed the leg. The boy later died, although he managed to pull away. Source: Notice of Rianovosti 2006th
14 November 2003. Brookfield Zoo, Chicago, USA. A wolf called "Cinnamon Bear" was shot by a uniformed police officer after having bitten a woman's arm and refused to let go. The woman who was in the 40-50s had tried to pat the wolf through the fence. - It is the first time in the zoo's 69-year history that an animal attacked a visitor, said park employees to the Chicago Tribune after the incident. Source: Chicago Tribune.
27 March 2002. Pst Menifee, California. A very large wolf hybrid * called "Dakota", completely unprovoked attack 10-year-old Taylor Moore who sit and eat ice cream next to a local supermarket. Dakota harm the boy, dragging him 7-8 meters. According to the owner was Dakota "just playful and wanted to maybe have some ice cream." Shockingly enough, the 65 kilo predator has been used extensively in schools wolf education and which has already attacked a girl and her clothes torn apart. "People like this accident is just what one would expect. Wolves have a wild instinct that can not be bred out, said Animal Services spokesman Ralph Rivers. Source: Wolves, Elizabeth J Scholl 2003 and Associated Press article 2002nd
21 October 2000. Miami Township, Ohio. A five year old boy, Oberen "Obie" Burgin, bits death of the grandmother wolf hybrid *. The uncle managed to shoot the predator with a small caliber pistol but it was too late. The visible damage was around Obies stomach. The boy died of internal bleeding. Source: Report HSUS - Overview of Captive Wildlife Issues in Ohio, pp. 29, 2012 and article in The Enquirer 2000th
* A wolf hybrid is a cross between wolves and dogs, usually husky or Laika. Wolf Hybrids are often considered more dangerous than purebred wolves when they inherited a combination of wild and domestic properties which make them particularly unafraid of humans. More detailed information can be found here.

1990s
August 3, 1998. Polar Zoo, Finnsnes, Norway. A five year old girl from Nordkjosbotn were visiting the zoo with his father when two of the five wolves walked to the fence and bit the girl who received severe injuries in his right hand. She was taken first to hospital in Narvik, but received the day after moving to Regionsykehuset in Tromsø for specialist care. It was the second attack against a child in a few weeks. The witness answered the question about the wolves behaved aggressively: - Nei, ikke true in utgangspunktet. Source: Two articles in Nordlys, 1 and 2.
July 17, 1998. Polar Zoo, Finnsnes, Norway. A two-year boy from Norwegian Bardu who come to visit with other daycare children were attacked by a lone wolf through the enclosure and were slightly injured. Zoo promised measures to improve the fencing was not implemented and only a few weeks later, on August 3, there was a new attack. Source: See above.
June 1997. Metro Zoo, Charlotte, N Carolina, USA. Djurparksvolontären Audrey Pegg will be hard bitten by an escaped wolf as she tried to capture. Three years later, on June 24 2000, Salisbury Post newspaper announces that Audrey Pegg lost the subsequent trial and receive no compensation. "She was herself for his injuries," said zoo owner Steve Macaluso after winning the dispute. Source: The Salisbury Post, 24 June 2000.
18 april, 1996. Haliburton Forest & Wildlife Preserve, Wolf Department, Canada. Patricia Wyman, 24, was university educated biologist and was employed as a wolf attendants April 14, 1996, four days before his death. During training, she had been in contact with the wolves twice: first with her supervisor and then when she alone fed them. Late in the afternoon April 18, 1996 found two other employees Wymans mangled remains of the wolf enclosure. The four attacking wolves appeared very threatening when the police summoned. Wolves were sacrificed and assayed for rabies. The tests were negative. No rabies. Wolf Park's director, Dr. Peter Schleifenbaum allowed an investigator to interview the staff. The investigator reported that "staff were surprised when they believed that the wolves were not dangerous." Source: Well-known cases, numerous sources such as Wikipedia. Although Wolf Facts have written about the case.
March, 1996. Houston Zoo, Texas, USA. Manuel morua, 3 years, visiting the zoo with her family. When the family watching the wolves keep the boy one hand close to the fence and then one of the wolves throw themselves back and bite off three of the boy's fingers. Three years later, on 26 November 1999, press reports and that the family received $ 50 000 in damages and that the zoo is improved security. The notice also states that the boy's fingers had to operate, but with good results. Source: Wilmington Morning Star, 26 November 1999. This notice can also be read as a PDF.
30 December 1995. Zoo Pécs, Pécs, Hungary. Residents in the small town of Pécs asked by authorities to stay indoors when a wolf that escaped from a local zoo killed an elderly woman, injured three children and in addition has bitten a number of people next to the forest to where it ran. Source: The Advertiser, page 11, on 30 December 1995.
20 December 1994. Lincoln Park Zoo, Manitowoc, Wisconsin, USA. A two-year boy loses most of his right arm in a wolf attack. The boy had crept unnoticed in an outer wooden fence and then up to the wolf enclosure, where he was stabbed in the arm to the wolves. One of those attacked immediately and tore off his arm. Source: The Milwaukee Sentinel den 30 December 1994.
1979-1992. Various locations, USA. During the period 1979-1992 reported 14 people have been killed by domesticated wolf hybrids * throughout the Americas. The hybrid-related deaths mentioned here and there in the chronology below may possibly be included in that figure. Calculations by author Elizabeth J Scholl may have 300000-500000 wolf hybrids in the U.S.. Source: Wolves, Elizabeth J Scholl 2003rd
The 1990th Michigan, USA. Two-year Tanya Elliot was attacked and killed by a tame wolf hybrid *. It was owned by family friends and the Tanya had made the acquaintance of the predator, many times before. But suddenly one day when Tanya was allowed to play himself in the backyard where the wolf hybrid was connected so it ended tragically. The mother says she responded that "the dog" seemed to shake slightly. When she looked closer she saw that it was her daughter. Source: Wolves, Elizabeth J Scholl 2003rd

1 July 1989. Kenyon, Minnesota, USA. Peter Lemke, 5 years, tried to pet a chained wolf and was attacked. He received severe bites in the arms, legs, buttocks, stomach and neck and finally lost 12 inches of his intestines. While ambulance plane flew him to the hospital his heart stopped three times, but nurses revived him. Hospital bill ended up at over 200 000 dollars. Source: Wolf Attacks on humans, T R Mader 1995th
3 June 1989. Three-year Alyshia Berczyk was attacked and killed by a wolf in Forest Lake, Minnesota, USA. The wolf had torn the body hard and including eating her kidneys, liver and parts of the aorta. The attack had Alyshia played in the backyard and and approaching them closely as was chained there. Source: Wolf Attacks on humans, T R Mader 1995th
15 May 1989. Two year old Timothy Bajinski was bitten by a wolf hybrid * on the back of his mother's house on Staten Island, New York, USA. His mother was charged with keeping wild animals in captivity. Source: Wolf Attacks on humans, T R Mader 1995th
The 1988th Florida, USA. A wolf hybrid *, purchased from a shelter for captured wild dogs escaped from their new owners. A neighbor found the animal and brought it home to his backyard. There, the stick while the neighbor was calling to get hold of the owner. Unfortunately, the neighbor's four year old son while out in the backyard to play with the "dog" and was instantly killed. Source: Wolves, Elizabeth J Scholl 2003rd
July 1988. Minnesota Zoo, USA. A summer teen work we always stretched my hand to pat the wolf and was immediately bitten. Wolf were sacrificed and assayed for rabies, but the test was negative. No rabies. Source: Wolf Attacks on humans, T R Mader 1995th
August 2, 1986. Fergus Falls, Minnesota, USA. A seventeen-year-old boy grabbed the pen that held his father's tame animals. A wolf jumped quickly up and bit the boy's hand. The boy's mother who was in the vicinity managed to free her son but got myself to endure some tough bite. Source: Wolf Attacks on humans, T R Mader 1995th
6 August 1985. Toronto Zoo, Toronto, Canada. Scott Connor, six, and his brother Adam, age 8, goes through the vegan tion until the wolf enclosure and begins to climb over the fence, just 1.25 meters high. The wolves throws himself forward and bites down Scott Connor's arm so hard that the latter had to be amputated. Scott Connor himself stated that he thought it was the "big dogs". Source: Four articles in the Toronto Star: 1, 2, 3 and 4.
September 1981. Fort Wayne, Michigan, USA. A two-year boy was torn to pieces by a privately owned 3-year vargtik who was in chains. The boy had come inside the chain's radius. Source: Wolf Attacks on humans, T R Mader 1995th
* A wolf hybrid is a cross between wolves and dogs, usually husky or Laika. Wolf Hybrids are often considered more dangerous than purebred wolves when they inherited a combination of wild and domestic properties which make them particularly unafraid of humans. More detailed information can be found here

The late 1970s (odef. date), Karelia, Russia. A local hunter by the name of NT Ternovyj takes care of a wolf cub who grows up in his home. As a yearling wolf kills suddenly the hunter's dog, and twenty of the farm DOMESTIC DUCKS and ran to the woods. The wolf was then very difficult to overcome. Hunting attempts failed. According to Graves, this is what usually happened in Russia where individuals attempted to breed wolves in captivity. Source: Wolves in Russia, page 41, Will Graves N 2007th
1978th Wheatland Wyoming, USA. A privately owned wolf had been placed on the observation in a small booth next to a veterinary clinic, but escaped and killed a calf nearby. Under Wyoming law it is illegal to keep wild animals in captivity, so the wolf was driven back to Ohio, where it was downloaded. The owner did not however, but took back the wolf and then got out and killed a child in the area shortly thereafter. Source: Wolf Attacks on humans, T R Mader 1995th
28 July 1977. Ross Park Zoo, Pocatello, Idaho, USA. Two wolves sneaking out during the cleaning of their captivity. One runs away to the bird section and bites where six-year Kasi Croft in the head, shoulders and hands. The girl's father, Ron Croft, and a park employee succeed with kicks and punches to release Kasi immediately taken to the hospital. Source: Pittsburgh Post Gazette, 29 July 1977.
The 1976th Germany. In the German Bavarian Forest bet eight wolves down the fence and ran after their enclosure was run into by snow removal vehicles. Only one of the fugitives shot and residents were worried. Swedish wolf researcher Erik Ziemen, who supplied the wolves, spoke disparagingly in the press: "Still has a wolf ever attacking a human. Such stories are invented and lies. Pets such as cows, pigs, dogs and cats are much more dangerous to humans than wolves. "A few weeks later found year-old Roman Frisch difficult wolf bit of a playground outside Munich. Researchers, led by Nobel laureate Konrad Lorenz, stopped still remain protectively. The remaining wolves were believed to have crossed the Czech border. Source: Reports of the Swedish wolf researcher Erik Ziemen, Pocket Lectures 1976th
July, 1975. California, USA. In the 1970s, toured the John Harris from California around with "tame" wolves in order to promote public sympathy for the conservation of the wolf. In July 1975 attacking one of Harris wolves a one-year girl and bit her face. The girl was kept as close to the wolf, the Harris invitation, a photo would be taken. Source: Wolf Attacks on humans, T R Mader 1995th
The 1975th Zoo Worcester, Massachusetts, USA. A two-year boy was severely bitten in the leg after it drifted into an opening in the enclosure. The boy's mother and two men hastened could not take away the child. The wolves did not release until a railway sleeper were thrown and landed in the flock. Source: Wolf Attacks on humans, T R Mader 1995th
23 March 1973. St.. Louis, Missouri. In a U.S. court case, 78-1077 Mahlandt vs. Wild canid Survival & Research Center in 1978, shows that over the three year old boy Daniel Mahlandt been attacked and severely bitten by a young vargtik who was nursed by a neighbor Kenneth Poos. He worked at WCSRC and had temporarily taken home ungvargen when they become too old for the Children's Zoo. Kenneth Poos used the wolf in school and thought (up until the attack) to the Wolf "was very friendly and had shown its good points when thousands of meetings with children at the Children's Zoo." (As it was a little puppy, editor's note.). Source: UC Berkeley, Law; Mahlandt vs. Wild canid Survival & Research Center, 1978.
 The 1971st San Diego Zoo, USA. A fifteen year old boy climbed over a fence to take a shortcut through the park area. He did not know there were wolves inside the fence, but tried to run away when he saw them. The wolves got hold of his leg and tried to pull him back. Fifteen year old boy managed to get hold of a tree and stayed there. Two men threw themselves when inside the fence and attacked the wolves with tree branches. The wolves took no notice of the two men but continued to toil in the boy. By simultaneously beating the branches got the men to finally pull the boy out of the enclosure. The two wolves were juveniles. If they were adults probably had the boy died before the attack was averted, according to experts. Source: See below
A few months after the attack in fifteen-year-old climbed a man up on the same fence and waving his arms to get the wolves' attention. It ended up that he had deep bites in both arms. Source: See below.
Two years later, in 1973, tried one more boy to go through the same enclosure. This time it was shot one of two wolves from a security guard. The other wolf ran into the enclosure while the boy was pulled out. Source: Wolf Attacks on humans, T R Mader 1995th
Not dated. Edward Rucciuti, former publisher of the New York Zoological Society, witnessed personally how a twelve year old boy was brutally attacked by wolves in the Bronx Zoo, New York, USA. The boy had climbed over a high fence to pat the three wolves. The male and two females attacked immediately the boy and grabbed his clothes and flesh. At first the boy instinctively huddled up into a ball to protect head chest and stomach. Then he managed to painstakingly pull the moat in front vargburens. The wolves followed and continued to tear into his back and legs. As soon as the boy in the water stopped the attack. Twelve year old boy dragged himself out of the moat and then collapsed. Edward Rucciuti was surprised that the boy was at all in life, considering how powerful the bites were. Source: Wolf Attacks on humans, T R Mader 1995th
Not dated. In a zoo in Idaho, USA, was a little girl's arm amputated after a large wolf bites. The girl had gone to a vargbur and that stuck in my hand to pet the wolf. Source: Wolf Attacks on humans, T R Mader 1995th
Not dated. New York City, USA. A wolf bit a woman after having approached her. Source: Wolf Attacks on humans, T R Mader 1995th
Not dated. Maryland, USA. A wolf that were in a basement bit and tore the owner's two year old son badly. Source: Wolf Attacks on humans, T R Mader 1995th

17 February 1962. Vilas Park Zoo, Madison, Milwaukee, USA. The newspaper reported that a 11-year-old boy from Moline, Illinois, has been bitten by a wolf in the Vilas Park Zoo in the previous Saturday. The boy went to the zoo in the company of the children's choir he belonged. The wolf attacked the boy temporarily stuck my hand through burgallret. The boy had to seek medical attention. Source: The Milwaukee Sentinel, 21 February 1962. Even as a PDF.

Late 1940's. Moscow, Soviet Republic. The newspaper Nedelia, No. 25, 1984, conveys the Russian air hero S Schvets some memories. In one of them he talks about how 285e air squadron he served in, gave birth to a wolf cub that became the mascot of the flotilla. Wolf puppy was taken care of during World War II. At a march through a regular city park a few years after the war, the wolf suddenly jumped on a little girl who stood by and knocked her to the ground. The marching pilots intervened and managed to save the girl who escaped without injury. Source: Nedelia, No. 25 in 1984 and the book Wolves in Russia, page 185, Will Graves N 2007th

Not dated. Losinoostrov, Russia. The female who previously kept in a zoo, was moved to a farm outside Moscow and kept as pets. Mainly to keep watch over the garden. But the bitch escaped and attacked a number of schoolchildren in Losinoostrov. Sources: The Wolf and Its Destruction, PA Manteifel & SA Larin, 1949, Wolf's getting food, and man, page 27, Mikhail Pavlov, 1982 and Wolves in Russia, page 176, Will Graves N 2007th

1900's
1904th Novgorodskij, Russia. One farmer in Yamyshevskij, the article with the pseudonym Z, gave birth at home a vargtikvalp who became tame. When the wolf bitch grown up held it to the forest and returned after a period of more wolves that were included in Z land and tore down 16 sheep. The attacks intensified, and the "tame" wolf bitch showed incredible ingenuity. She led her flock mates through the fences into different pastures, and even into the village's cold room. The wolves were very aggressive toward people. No one was reported injured, however. Source: Article in Russian Hunting News no 16, 1904, reprinted in Russian state newspaper Hunting and game management, December 1994 and the N Will Graves' book, Wolves in Russia, 2007.
Autumn 1902nd National Zoo, Washington, USA. Mrs. Laura Jackson, Washington, is bitten in its own backyard by a wolf that escaped from the National Zoo. A year later she does the Smithsonian Institute, the owner of the zoo, at $ 300 for pain and suffering. Source New York Times, July 15 1903rd

1800's
October 17, 1893. Siltasaari, Finland. In a newspaper disclosed that a wife Kreutzberg in a private museum exhibiting tricks with seven adult wolves, "A hufvudnummer is when Mrs. K puts his hand and his head in the wolf gap." At the end of the notice says the writer that the wolves never seem to get really tame and reports that "Several times, too, Mrs. K was bitten by some of the wolves in the extremities, hvarvid other animals stood motionless, apparently in the expectation that even able to throw himself upon the victim or the biting wolf in the event he blefve shot down." Source: note in western Uusimaa, 17 October 1893rd
The 1870s. Arvika, Sweden. National well-known hunter and memoir writer Gustav Schroeder says in the book "Jagtminnen from forests, and lakes fjell" how he gets a wolf pup to us by some beaters who have been on bear hunting in Brönnäs. Schroeder won the wolf pup to Arvika and began to tame it. It was met with disbelief by friends and family who were convinced that the wolf would be really aggressive one day. Upbringing was initially good but when the wolf was just over a year began to become moody and bit unexpected death the family cat, even though this cat was the wolf's playmate since an early age. The wolf killed immediately thereafter for fear that it would attack children in the family where it was. Source: "Jagtminnen from forests, fjell and lake", Gustaf Schröder 1890th
30 December 1820-27 March 1821, Gysinge, Sweden. The attacker is believed to be an escaped wolf captured as a pup in 1817 and subsequently held at Gysinge mansion as pets. 31 people were attacked, of which 9 were killed and 15 injured. Mainly, it was children from 3.5 to 15 years old who was beaten to death and completely or partially eaten. A 19-year-old woman was the oldest victim. A 18-year-old man was injured. Sources: Various. There is a very good documentation. Varg fakta have written about the case.
All of the quotes comes from vargfakta http://www.vargfakta.se/tag/manniskor-angripna-av-varg/
ImageImageImageImage