Our baby crow

Discuss the live critter cams, animals and green topics around the planet.

Moderators: Kenya, webearthonline

Vargen Saphia
Adult Cardinal

Our baby crow

Post by Vargen Saphia »

Yesterday morning, after me and brothers had left for school, one of our dogs found a baby crow, which had fallen out of a tree, in our backyard.
It's quite big, and it survived the night and eats and drinks when we feed him, and he's not afraid or chocked or anything like that, so maybe it'll survive til it's get adult? Unless the cats kill it (we've got 5 big cats, and a few dogs).
It's a bit funny that we found it, since when my oldest brother was in my age, he had a tame kaja (daw) in his room (which is now mine!) and it lived on toop of the bookshelf (where I had 2 young swallow chicks once during the summer for a few weeks, but one night it got a bit too cold or warm (don't remember), so they died :(

Off topic: took me about 20-30 login attemps before I was able to log in, even tho I did the right username and password combination several times >:(
ImageImageImageImage
Grep42
Adult Gecko
Location: Cretaceous Mongolia; Hanging with my velociraptor friends.

Re: Our baby crow

Post by Grep42 »

How big was it? If it was about half the size of an adult you should've left it alone. You see, crows start exploring the world even before they can fly. Young crows will leave the nest itself, though not the nesting site. The parents still take care of them, and they do just fine where they are.
Last edited by Grep42 on Thu May 31, 2012 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vegan: The other white meat.
NatureHeart
Cardinal Chick

Post by NatureHeart »

Grep is right. Plus, if you do not have a license to take care of wild animals, it is illegal for you to raise it.
Cheer up!
Be silly!
♥ And fly! ♥
Vargen Saphia
Adult Cardinal

Post by Vargen Saphia »

I live in Sweden, so dunno if the laws are the same when it comes to wild animals. I'm pretty sure it's legal as long as it's just smaller, non-predator animals.
But it seems dad didn't take good enough care of it ( we had it in a shed outside, with no light even though I told him that the crow shouldn't be left so much alone + that it was cold) while I was at school. He said the crow probably died from starvation, it refused to eat when he tried to feed it. But maybe it missed it's parents? And dad had told me the day before that the crow WAS eating. So the crow died :( Well, it would have died anyway if we had left it alone, since the place we found it at is a place where our cats go everyday ( it's about 50 m from our house). And our cats just love to kill all small animals.
ImageImageImageImage
Grep42
Adult Gecko
Location: Cretaceous Mongolia; Hanging with my velociraptor friends.

Post by Grep42 »

Such is the plight with crows. 60% die before their first year. However, after two years they're essentially in the clear.
Vegan: The other white meat.