Worlds smallest chameleon

Discuss the live critter cams, animals and green topics around the planet.

Moderators: Kenya, webearthonline

webearthonline
Global Moderator

Worlds smallest chameleon

Post by webearthonline »

In the news,

"Discovered: The mini-meleon that is one of the smallest reptiles on the planet
By WIL LONGBOTTOM
Last updated at 8:17 AM on 15th February 2012

His species is renowned for its ability to blend in, but this tiny critter is even better than most as the world's smallest chameleon.
Balanced on the tip of a scientist's fingernail in Madagascar, the-three centimetre reptile is no bigger than the flies that form his average-sized cousin's lunch.
Scientists discovered four new species - called Brookesia micra - on a small islet just off the main island.

Tiny: This chameleon is smaller than a finger nail and was discovered on an islet off Madagascar
This particular chameleon is now thought to be one of the smallest reptiles on the planet.
Ted Townsend, of San Diego State University, carried out genetic testing on the new species.
He said: 'Their size suggests that chameleons might have evolved in Madagascar from small and inconspicuous ancestors, quite unlike the larger and more colourful chameleons most familiar to us today.'

A real match: The three-centimetre chameleon is thought to be one of the smallest reptiles on the planet

Hard to spot: Scientists believe chameleons may have evolved on Madagascar
The new additions to the chameleon species are only found in an area just a few square miles in size.
Experts believe they may be especially sensitive to habitat destruction.
"
weo
Mindy
Adult Bluebird

Re: Worlds smallest chameleon

Post by Mindy »

Oo! I'd like one as a pet... maybe... probably not, on second thought, because I'd probably lose it all the time, and it'd be a lot happier where it lives.

Why do scientists think they'd be "especially" more sensitive to habitat destruction? What about these creatures differentiates their sensitivty levels from others? Wouldn't all of the animals be affected equally?
I often edit my posts. Most of the time, I do it before anyone else replies. But sometimes, I get unlucky. Sometimes, someone posts. Then it'll say at the bottom of my post:
Last edited by Mindy on blah blah blah, 1 time in total
or: 2 times
or: 12 times
Summerbreeze
Adult Mouse

Post by Summerbreeze »

That's pretty cool. But watch out I might just use it for a science project * Wink, Wink*
You got enemies? Good, that means you actually stood up for something in your life. ♥
Foxesrule
Cardinal Chick

Post by Foxesrule »

Wow, that is really cool and amazing!
Your neighbourhood moderator.
Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or just want to chat. c:
what am i doing with my life..?