The largest fish in north america faces extinction

Discuss the live critter cams, animals and green topics around the planet.

Moderators: Kenya, webearthonline

animalguy888
Adult Gecko
Location: In the sky hunting for a hybrid between superman and bigfoot in an alternate universe

The largest fish in north america faces extinction

Post by animalguy888 »

A living prehistoric beast now an endangered species... Dams take over there environment and it has not successfully reproduced in over 35 years...

BILLINGS, Mont. — As efforts falter to save North America's largest freshwater fish — a toothless beast left over from the days of dinosaurs — officials hope to stave off extinction by sending more water hurtling down a river so the fish can spawn in the wild.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service on Thursday said attempts over the past two years to save the endangered Kootenai River white sturgeon had failed.

The prehistoric sturgeon, characterized by its large head and armor-like scales, can reach 19 feet long and top 1,000 pounds.

An isolated population of the species lives along a stretch of the Kootenai that passes through Montana, northern Idaho and southern British Columbia. Fewer than 500 of the bottom-feeding behemoths survive, and it's been 35 years since they successfully spawned.

The problem is Libby Dam, a hydroelectric facility in Montana run by the Army Corps of Engineers that serves power markets in the Pacific Northwest. When it went up in 1974, it stopped periodic flooding of Bonners Ferry, Idaho — but also high water flows that triggered the sturgeon to move upriver and spawn.

After years of litigation, the U.S. government agreed to alter how it runs the dam and more closely mimic historical water flows. That hasn't worked. Fisheries officials and the Corps now say they plan to spill more water next spring.

It could be one of the last chances to stave off disaster for the massive fish: Biologists say it could otherwise be on track for extinction within the next decade.

Even with the increased spillover, the Kootenai River would rise to less than half historical levels.

The plan to save the fish in the Kootenai came out of a 2008 settlement with environmentalists who'd sued the U.S. government.

To satisfy the requirements of the Endangered Species Act, the fish would have to reproduce naturally before the species is considered recovered.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/l ... ish18.html

"There is beauty in every Creature, Stone, and Plant. To find it you Just have to look for It."

Click here if you dare!...

hoopyscoop
Adult Gecko

Re: The largest fish in north america faces extinction

Post by hoopyscoop »

No! That was my favorite fish... :cry:
Icon = Fluttershy = not mine.
sparkwolf111
Baby Gecko

Post by sparkwolf111 »

i remember watching that asian carp may also be a contributing factor.
Number 1 rabbit. My in-game name is keyin.
Mindy
Adult Bluebird

Post by Mindy »

Maybe people should let the periodic flooding occur, and upgrade for it, move away from it, or build for it. If it's natural, it'll be going on the right track.

Otherwise, we'll have to start sticking them in zoos, cause they'll probably die out any other ways.
I often edit my posts. Most of the time, I do it before anyone else replies. But sometimes, I get unlucky. Sometimes, someone posts. Then it'll say at the bottom of my post:
Last edited by Mindy on blah blah blah, 1 time in total
or: 2 times
or: 12 times
Summerbreeze
Adult Mouse

Post by Summerbreeze »

OMG i did a report on this fish. ( sad face ) PO :( OF
You got enemies? Good, that means you actually stood up for something in your life. ♥
oceanpelt
Bluebird Chick
Location: He's the map, he's the map, he's the map! Yeah, I am lost.

Post by oceanpelt »

In my English class we are doing reports on endangered animals and it involves what the ESA is in our power point. It is sad to hear that our biggest fish is going extinct. North America's tallest bird is dying out, too.
NatureHeart
Cardinal Chick

Post by NatureHeart »

ARG!! I hate things going extinct!!
Cheer up!
Be silly!
♥ And fly! ♥