Giant jellyfish invade japanese waters

Discuss the live critter cams, animals and green topics around the planet.

Moderators: Kenya, webearthonline

animalguy888
Adult Gecko
Location: In the sky hunting for a hybrid between superman and bigfoot in an alternate universe

Giant jellyfish invade japanese waters

Post by animalguy888 »

Giant jellyfish invade Japan
Millions of 6ft, 440lb jellyfish are congregating off the western coast of Japan, their numbers apparently boosted by rising sea temperatures and a decline in natural predators.
Nomura's jellyfish are one of the largest species of the creature in the world. Their scale was demonstrated in the autumn of 2009, when a 10-ton fishing boat was sunk as the crew tried to haul in a net containing dozens of the creatures.

Increasing numbers of the jellyfish have been recorded in the Sea of Japan since 2002, with experts suggesting the population explosion in recent years is due to the 1.89 degree Fahrenheit increase in temperature in waters off China making conditions more favourable for breeding.

In the early 1900s, according to Professor Shinichi Uye, a leading expert on the species at the Graduate School of Biosphere Science of Hiroshima University, large numbers were only reported every 40 years or so.

Another contributing factor, experts believe, is a decline in the number of predators, which include sea turtles and certain species of fish.

Japan was invaded on a similar scale in the summer of 2005, when the jellyfish damaged nets, rendered fish inedible with their toxic stings and even caused injuries to fishermen. In 2007, there were 15,500 reports of damage to fishing equipment caused by the creatures.

"There is beauty in every Creature, Stone, and Plant. To find it you Just have to look for It."

Click here if you dare!...

Mook
Adult Mouse
Location: Walking through a store randomly hitting people on the head with an empty plastic water bottle,fun!

Re: Giant jellyfish invade japanese waters

Post by Mook »

Whoa 0.0 lol I think we found our aliens! xD
No Steps Backward.

Size 95 - 84857d
Lysander
Baby Mouse
Location: Why is this tomato orbiting in space at 4.8 miles per second?

Post by Lysander »

I've heard of this. It also may be caused of global warming.

Darn jellyfish, get off Mai coast!
hello. my name is gabriel and sometimes i draw
my art: http://drhastielanyon.tumblr.com/
Alias
Baby Mouse

Post by Alias »

How rebellious, just shows that some creatures are just not to be messed with.
Image Image Image

"Parents spend the first part of our lives teaching us to walk and talk, and the rest of it telling us to sit down and shut up."
Game Name: Guardian
sparkwolf111
Baby Gecko

Post by sparkwolf111 »

if you think about it, in a kind of sad way, humans are alot like the jellyfish...:/
Number 1 rabbit. My in-game name is keyin.