A Pound of Honey

Discuss the live critter cams, animals and green topics around the planet.

Moderators: Kenya, webearthonline

webearthonline
Global Moderator

A Pound of Honey

Post by webearthonline »

Pound of honey is a stunning bee creation.

A pound of honey contains the concentrated essence of about 2 million flowers.

The 60,000 or so honey bees in a hive may collectively travel as many as 55,000 miles to collect enough nectar to make a pound of honey.
weo
Hope
Adult Mouse
Location: Shadowclan Territory, plotting of ruling the forest!

Re: A Pound of Honey

Post by Hope »

Do you know that if bees go extinct, the whole human race goes....... POOF!
Epic 24/7 Minecraft Server sc27.servercraft.co:8076
Minecraft Status: Single... XD Just Joking I'm Online
sparkwolf111
Baby Gecko

Post by sparkwolf111 »

somehow i doubt that, i mean its not that hard to pollanate, take some pollen from a flower and sprinkle it on another flower
Number 1 rabbit. My in-game name is keyin.
Quagga
Baby Gecko

Post by Quagga »

Sounds simple, but it'd be a lot more time consuming than you may think. Other animals would do a much better job at pollination than us humans would. But, I think it's a bit much to assume that we all go extinct if bees do. There ARE other pollinators, after all... Bees are just a lot more common. I think it's safer to assume that it would have a rather large impact on the environment, though, should they disappear.

*my opinion*
Artwork: Tumblr
Alexander
Adult Rabbit

Post by Alexander »

Wow, 55,000 miles. And 60,000 honey bees in a hive. I wonder how crowded it can get in there.

Well if anything I know for a fact that we can spike the bee's population up if need be. They are a very important part of our ecosystem because they are one of the most common pollinators. If bees become extinct, it is likely that flowers would also have a loss in population. How bad can it get? No idea, I don't see a huge sign saying that bees are in critical danger right now, nor that they are the only ones whom pollinate plants. I imagine that if they were in serious danger, we would surely help them out, no?
I don't feel a strong connection between bees and us. We eat more than honey, flowers, and whatever eats those flowers, and whatever eats those animals that eat those flowers.
Got #1 high score for goats! Woohoo!
webearthonline
Global Moderator

Post by webearthonline »

This news just in,

Millions of Bees Mysteriously Die in Florida
September 30, 2011 12:43 PM

MICCO, Fla. (CBS Tampa/AP) – Florida officials are abuzz as to how millions of honey bees were killed in Brevard County.

Several beekeepers in the county have reported lost colonies this week. Charles Smith of Smith Family Honey Company told Stuart News Thursday he lost 400 beehives. He says the bees appeared to have been poisoned.

“I’ll never get completely compensated for this unless someone handed me 400 beehives,” Smith told Stuart News. “I lost the bees, the ability to make honey and the ability to sell the bees.”

Smith told Florida Today that he lost $150,000 from the incident.

State officials are testing the bees to determine what type of chemicals contributed to their deaths.

Experts say pesticides might be behind the lost beehives.

“The fact that it was so widespread and so rapid, I think you can pretty much rule out disease,” Bill Kern, an entomologist with the University of Florida’s Research and Education Center, told Florida Today. “It happened essentially almost in one day. Usually diseases affect adults or the brood, you don’t have something that kills them both.”

The case in Micco, 18 miles south of Melbourne, is being investigated by state agriculture officials and the sheriff’s office.
weo
Hope
Adult Mouse
Location: Shadowclan Territory, plotting of ruling the forest!

Post by Hope »

Wow! That was exactly in my Almanac!
Epic 24/7 Minecraft Server sc27.servercraft.co:8076
Minecraft Status: Single... XD Just Joking I'm Online
SouthernStar
Adult Rabbit

Post by SouthernStar »

Must be b/measels. (Simpsons, and that was how Killer Bee's were made, maybe one day I'll tell you about the how all the bee's died.)

Hmmm.

To bee or not to bee.
For science!
Lysander
Baby Mouse
Location: Why is this tomato orbiting in space at 4.8 miles per second?

Post by Lysander »

SouthernStar wrote:To bee or not to bee.
ohgod. terriblepuns

Oh my goodness :O This pesticides really going out of hand, ;p

my pet cricket already died from it D:

I loved him so very much.
i named him alpha :D
hello. my name is gabriel and sometimes i draw
my art: http://drhastielanyon.tumblr.com/
SilentEcho
Hawk Chick

Post by SilentEcho »

Apparently Australia hasn't had any mysterious bee deaths. I bet government authorities are hiding the fact that one day one of the most productive insects will be extinct.

Nah.
If you don't know who I am by now, I'm just some girl who changes obsessions all the time.
Current Obsessions: Pokemon, TWD, Glee and The legend of Korra