Scientific body warns of devastating rise of 4-5C if ...

Discuss the live critter cams, animals and green topics around the planet.

Moderators: Kenya, webearthonline

webearthonline
Global Moderator

Scientific body warns of devastating rise of 4-5C if ...

Post by webearthonline »

In the news ...

http://www.independent.co.uk/environmen ... 56708.html

Global greenhouse gas emissions over the past decade were the "highest in human history", according to the world's leading scientific body for the assessment of climate change. Without further action, temperatures will increase by about 4 to 5C, compared with pre-industrial levels, it warns, a level that could reap devastating effects on the planet.

The stark findings are to be revealed in the latest report by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) today, the last in a trilogy written by hundreds of scientists on what is considered the definitive take on climate change.

The experts were working on the report until the early hours of yesterday morning. Although the thrust of the report is dramatic, it does say that it is not too late to limit global warming to less than 2C, which experts regard as the minimum needed to avoid radical global shifts. But its suggested scenarios would mean slashing global emissions by 40 to 70 per cent by 2050 from 2010 levels.

This would include "fundamental changes in energy systems and potentially the land", the draft found, such as a move towards renewable energy, nuclear power and fossil energy whose carbon emissions are captured or stored.

"These reports make it crystal clear what is at stake, and no government can justifiably say the case hasn't been made for strong and urgent action," said Bob Ward, the policy director for the Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment at the London School of Economics and Political Science. "It's affordable and, frankly, the benefits are not even just in terms of climate risks. Shutting down coal-fired power stations in China, for example, will improve local air quality. The only thing standing in our way now is political will. The evidence is conclusive: the current pledges made by governments will be insufficient to get us to our targets."

It was in 2010 that hundreds of governments agreed to reduce emissions so as not to breach the 2C warming mark – the point at which it is thought the risk to food and water supplies would be high, as well as a risk of irreversible changes, such as a meltdown of Greenland's ice sheet.

At this level, we could lose 20 to 30 per cent of our wildlife, as well as face more extreme weather, according to Mike Childs, head of science, policy and research at Friends of the Earth. At 4C of warming, there could be a "devastating" impact on agriculture, wildlife and human civilisation, he added.

But despite global attempts to mitigate climate change picking up in recent years, greenhouse gas emissions grew more rapidly between 2000 and 2010 than in each of the previous three decades, according to the final draft of the IPCC report seen by The Independent on Sunday. The main contributors were a "growing energy demand and an increase of the share of coal in the global fuel mix", the draft found.

It estimated that if mitigation efforts are delayed until 2030, it would "substantially increase the difficulty of the transition to low longer-term emission levels".

Almost 80 per cent of the emissions growth between 1970 and 2010 was caused by fossil fuel combustion and industrial processes, according to the report. To reach the 2C target, the experts warned that the global energy supply must dramatically change, with at least a tripling of the use of "zero and low-carbon" energy, such as renewables, nuclear and fossil energy. It added that a growing number of renewable technologies had achieved a level of "technical and economic maturity to enable deployment at significant scale".

The report found that emissions could be "reduced significantly" by replacing coal-fired power plants with more efficient alternatives. It added that the decarbonisation of the electricity system would be a "key component" of cost-effective strategies – but the Government voted down a plan to do this by 2030.

Caroline Flint, the Shadow Secretary of State for Energy and Climate Change, said that the report "provides overwhelming and compelling scientific evidence that climate change will have a devastating impact if urgent action is not taken to reduce our carbon emissions and invest in mitigation". She added: "It highlights the need for a global, legally binding treaty to cut carbon emissions at the Paris conference in 2015. But to have influence abroad we must show leadership at home. That's why the next Labour government will set a decarbonisation target for the power sector for 2030, unshackle the Green Investment Bank and reverse the decline in investment in clean energy we have seen under David Cameron."

Kaisa Kosonen, senior political adviser at Greenpeace International, said the report should encourage a move from "a decade of coal to the century of renewables". She added: "The solutions are clear. Our energy system needs to undergo a fundamental transformation from fossil fuels to renewable and smart energy. In recent years, the transition has already started, but it must scale up and speed up. Dirty energy industries are sure to put up a fight, but it's only a question of time before public pressure and economics dictate that they either change or go out of business."

The report also concludes that the next decade could be a "window of opportunity" for mitigating global warming in cities, through locating residential areas in spaces of high employment, achieving diversity of land uses, increasing accessibility and investing in public transport.

Where there's a will...

The world can reach its global warming targets if it reduces its emissions by 40 to 70 per cent. It is about transforming our energy supply and the way we use our land. After The Independent on Sunday viewed a final draft of the findings, we asked some climate change experts what we can do now to mitigate against global warming, before it is too late.

Mark Lynas, author and environmentalist, said: "It is important to remember that every measure of climate-change reduction is still worth it. This report is a like a climate-change version of a suspended sentence. The 5C rise would be catastrophic, but we still have time to avoid the permanent rise in sea levels, for example, and we could avoid losing large agricultural zones. The important thing for people to understand is that it doesn't mean going back to living in caves; we can make many of these changes without making enormous changes to our lifestyles."

Darren Johnson, the chair of the London Assembly, who has been working in the field for a quarter of a century, is less hopeful. "I'm desperately worried about the timescale we have to turn things around," he said. "I'm appalled by the lack of will of previous governments and the coalition." But he still believes there is a chance to reduce emissions and prevent the "worst-case scenario". He added: "We need politicians to grasp this. We need a massive switch to renewables, a big investment in wind and solar power, and to reduce energy and reduce vehicles. This has to be made an absolute priority."

As for Sian Berry, Green Party member and part of the Campaign for Better Transport, she thought it was more about behavioural change. "People can stand up against the construction of large supermarkets, and out-of-town developments that would require people to drive more. They can vote for people who are going to improve public transport. They should be planning their lives around driving less."

Joe Kavanagh and Sarah Kavacs
weo
Foxesrule
Cardinal Chick

Re: Scientific body warns of devastating rise of 4-5C if ...

Post by Foxesrule »

If we don't do something about Climate Change we'll all be in huge trouble... The solution to everything is for everyone to go vegetarian (preferably vegan) but that just won't happen. Not enough people are doing things to help stop it-so it is the only option. However, what would happen to the thousands, maybe millions, of livestock kept for meat? They would have to be killed, some would be lucky enough to get a home.

So, as far as I can see, polar bears are not going to be very happy in a few years time..
Your neighbourhood moderator.
Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or just want to chat. c:
what am i doing with my life..?
Alexander
Adult Rabbit

Post by Alexander »

Foxesrule wrote:If we don't do something about Climate Change we'll all be in huge trouble... The solution to everything is for everyone to go vegetarian (preferably vegan) but that just won't happen. Not enough people are doing things to help stop it-so it is the only option. However, what would happen to the thousands, maybe millions, of livestock kept for meat? They would have to be killed, some would be lucky enough to get a home.

So, as far as I can see, polar bears are not going to be very happy in a few years time..
I'm interested as to why becoming a vegetarian or vegan is related to climate change. It seems like a rather sudden thing to say.
Do you perhaps have a study related to it? Does it have some really good back up information?
Got #1 high score for goats! Woohoo!
Foxesrule
Cardinal Chick

Post by Foxesrule »

Alexander wrote:
Foxesrule wrote:If we don't do something about Climate Change we'll all be in huge trouble... The solution to everything is for everyone to go vegetarian (preferably vegan) but that just won't happen. Not enough people are doing things to help stop it-so it is the only option. However, what would happen to the thousands, maybe millions, of livestock kept for meat? They would have to be killed, some would be lucky enough to get a home.

I'm interested as to why becoming a vegetarian or vegan is related to climate change. It seems like a rather sudden thing to say.
Do you perhaps have a study related to it? Does it have some really good back up information?
We have a ridiculous amount of cows on this planet-They are used for meat, some are used for dairy, some for both. The amount of cows is constantly changing, but there are about 1.78 million dairy cows in the UK alone, and in 2012 there were 1.6 million beef cows.. Now, considering that Britain is tiny, think how many cows are in America, the rest of Europe, on the planet. Pfft, that's a lot of poop-That's not even counting sheep, pigs, etc. Poop produces Co2, or carbon dioxide, which is the gas that planes, televisions, cars, etc produce-Greenhouse gases.

I hope that made sense!
Your neighbourhood moderator.
Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or just want to chat. c:
what am i doing with my life..?
Alexander
Adult Rabbit

Post by Alexander »

Foxesrule wrote:
Alexander wrote:

We have a ridiculous amount of cows on this planet-They are used for meat, some are used for dairy, some for both. The amount of cows is constantly changing, but there are about 1.78 million dairy cows in the UK alone, and in 2012 there were 1.6 million beef cows.. Now, considering that Britain is tiny, think how many cows are in America, the rest of Europe, on the planet. Pfft, that's a lot of poop-That's not even counting sheep, pigs, etc. Poop produces Co2, or carbon dioxide, which is the gas that planes, televisions, cars, etc produce-Greenhouse gases.

I hope that made sense!
Well I suppose that can help some. Do we know what the biggest issue around is so far? I figured cars and the like would have been a much bigger problem than cow farts. Then again, cows do fart a lot. I could do without a lot of cows... Despite my love for chocolate milk. I can easily do without pigs, except maybe having one as a pet would be pretty cool. Let's just use chickens. d:
But yeah, I'm still curious on if we can somehow ease up the CO2, maybe we can just set up an algae farm near them. xP Since, as far as I know, algae is what gives the most oxygen. Or something.
Psh, us kids can totally make all of this work out. We're professionals.
DarkWolf
Bluebird Chick
Location: In The Woods, Prowling With The Wolves - Hunting...

Post by DarkWolf »

Us kids can actually change the world! If the whole of our youth were to stand together and say NO! to greenhouse gas- producing companies and gadgets, then we can ease up the CO2 emissions. But, kids will be kids. We can't get EVERY child to do so as many are either influenced or just plain lazy... But us kids who DO want to make a change, we can. scientists have proven that us kids are better at coming up with ideas (hence our imagination at a young age) than adults as they have 'almost come to see creativity and self-control as mutually exclusive' (http://www.ideastogo.com/the-science-of-imagination). This creativity means that kids have an open mind when using creativity and could quite possibly come up with an ingenious idea to stop global warming! This is the exact reason why i enjoy and try my best at science- i want to at least say 'i tried to stop global warming!' *ahem* but uh yeah... us kids can do a lot ;)
Alexander
Adult Rabbit

Post by Alexander »

The best part is that kids definitely can create some amazing ideas to help our world. They cannot, however, look into how much it would cost and how long it would take to actually put money, effort and time into that invention. So adults will have to put money on the matter and kids can help with alterations to make it work and stay affordable.
mananee
Bluebird Chick

Post by mananee »

good