Spinosaurus - A Carnivore or a Piscivore?

Discuss the live critter cams, animals and green topics around the planet.

Moderators: Kenya, webearthonline

SouthernStar
Adult Rabbit

Spinosaurus - A Carnivore or a Piscivore?

Post by SouthernStar »

Most people seem to think that Spinosaurus is the biggest, baddest and toughest dinosaur, but I have to argue.

The biggest theropod is Spinosaurus by far but he certainly could not face Giganotosaurus or Tyrannosaurus-rex.

Spinosaurus was a weak predator, having evolved to catch fish rather than large prey. It had a long jaw with high nostrils (to put its snout under water) and lacked the strength and natural instinct to hunt or fight off an animal such as an allosaurus.

Giganotosaurus while only just a little bigger than a T-rex it is a lot heavier, has a better body overall and is more agile.

T-rex is smarter, has stronger jaws and the best head for a fight overall.

Does anyone have an opinion on this at all?
Last edited by SouthernStar on Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For science!
Alexander
Adult Rabbit

Re: Spinosaurus - A Carnivorous Predator or a Weak Fish Eate

Post by Alexander »

Reminds me of the blue whale. The largest living animal in the world as of today and yet it eats krill and other small fish..
The largest land mammal; the elephant. Not a carnivore.

Not trying to say that just because those two aren't the top predators that the Spinosaurus has to be on the same line as them, however..
Got #1 high score for goats! Woohoo!
€hrysalisΨolfHer☼
Baby Gecko

Re: Spinosaurus - A Carnivorous Predator or a Weak Fish Eate

Post by €hrysalisΨolfHer☼ »

I certainly believe that Spinosaurus was a fish-eater and built for well... fish eating and scavenging. I highly doubt it was 'weak' though. XD And it is carnivorous. Tyrannosaurus Rex wasn't a predator either. It was a scavenger mainly, but I think it was stronger than Spinosaurus. 8)
Game Name: Moonstar
I used to be: Fursiemoon

Magistream-ImageImageImageImage
DragCave-
DarkCheetah
Bluebird Chick

Re: Spinosaurus - A Carnivore or a Piscivore?

Post by DarkCheetah »

this is so accurate. charchorodontosaurus even though smaller than spino would have been the true apex predator in africa at that time.