Forum Avatar Question

This forum is where you come for help and support with the game and/or forum.

Moderator: Kenya

Snowfire
Adult Bluebird

Forum Avatar Question

Post by Snowfire »

I'm happy to see that there is a new forum in place. It's nice to see it finally having some of the common features that forums have! I just have one problem with it so far and that's when it comes to user avatars. 100x100pixels is entirely cool with me but 6.00 KiB? I understand that this is probably because the images are uploaded to the forum and thus take up precious space but is it possible to also have the option to use a url for our avatar so we can host it ourselves and not have to worry about filesizes and quality reduction? I'm not entirely certain which forum software this is but I'm pretty sure that this is a feature in most modern forums! I'd love to use my new icon but as it stands i can't reduce the quality to anywhere near 6.00kb
Alexander
Adult Rabbit

Re: Forum Avatar Question

Post by Alexander »

Well, if it can't be done, I'd like to try to make it less than 6 KB for you.
Got #1 high score for goats! Woohoo!
Snowfire
Adult Bluebird

Post by Snowfire »

Alexander wrote:Well, if it can't be done, I'd like to try to make it less than 6 KB for you.
Well, I looked up phpBB and it seems that it is an option but this particular forum doesn't currently have the "remote avatar" option enabled for people to use.

It just seems that for 100 x 100 pixels that 6kb is a tad bit small for the average forum avatar. For a visual of what I want to use here's my avatar that I recently made before realizing that the filesize was far too large for here. (note: i don't want anyone to edit it or mess with it. I'm entirely capable of image editing myself - i just can't stand the blurry pixels that happen upon such dramatic reduction :p)

webearthonline
Global Moderator

Post by webearthonline »

OK, I bumped this up to 8k.
Let me know how it goes.
weo
Alexander
Adult Rabbit

Post by Alexander »

Nah, I usually have a way to lower the file size and from what I can tell the image look doesn't change. Since he bumped it up to 8 KB I noticed yours was 6.6, so it seems we're good here.
Got #1 high score for goats! Woohoo!
Snowfire
Adult Bluebird

Post by Snowfire »

Alexander wrote:Nah, I usually have a way to lower the file size and from what I can tell the image look doesn't change. Since he bumped it up to 8 KB I noticed yours was 6.6, so it seems we're good here.
I'm not quite sure where you got 6.6k. The avatar I want to use is 20.80something kb XD
Which is why I was hopeful that the url option would be enabled at some point.
Coats
Baby Mouse

Post by Coats »

Yeah, I have some avatars I would love to use, but its too big kb size. Mine are close to 10-12.
nikikay
Baby Mouse

Post by nikikay »

on the wolfquest forums they have a file size of 32KB? Some where around there.
ImageImageImageImageImage "Ill stop the whole world. Ill stop the whole world, from turn-in into a monster, and eating us alive!"
Kenya
Global Moderator

Post by Kenya »

The URL option has been added in. ;D

Nikikay, I'm curious as to who you are on WQ? =P
WEO Moderator since August 31st, 2010

If you need assistance please PM me.
nikikay
Baby Mouse

Post by nikikay »

I'm soulessghost. :mrgreen: But right now im using my cousins which is ghostheart because my account is messing up
ImageImageImageImageImage "Ill stop the whole world. Ill stop the whole world, from turn-in into a monster, and eating us alive!"