Another Question... ^^' (Question on Sound)

This forum is where you come for help and support with the game and/or forum.

Moderator: Kenya

Alias
Baby Mouse

Another Question... ^^' (Question on Sound)

Post by Alias »

What is the purpose of animal sounds on WEO? Do they actually do anything?
And if so, they vary slightly between the animals, don't they?
Last edited by Alias on Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image

"Parents spend the first part of our lives teaching us to walk and talk, and the rest of it telling us to sit down and shut up."
Game Name: Guardian
Foxesrule
Cardinal Chick

Re: Another Question... ^^'

Post by Foxesrule »

I don't think they do much apart from coyotes and wolves. If you're the alpha coyote/wolf and you howl, your pack will come to you, even if it takes along time.
Your neighbourhood moderator.
Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or just want to chat. c:
what am i doing with my life..?
NatureHeart
Cardinal Chick

Post by NatureHeart »

It has an advantage. If you hear a wolf howl as a mouse, would you continue on right next to it? No. It would alert you that it was there if you didn't see it. Wolves and coyotes can cal their packs, or come to lone howls to add to the pack. It is like real life! :3
Cheer up!
Be silly!
♥ And fly! ♥
Alias
Baby Mouse

Post by Alias »

Hmm... Could it do things like attracting mates or warning other animals off?
This is probably a question for a mod or someone like WEO to answer
Image Image Image

"Parents spend the first part of our lives teaching us to walk and talk, and the rest of it telling us to sit down and shut up."
Kenya
Global Moderator

Post by Kenya »

You could test it, but I don't believe so.
WEO Moderator since August 31st, 2010

If you need assistance please PM me.
Alexander
Adult Rabbit

Post by Alexander »

I like to use sounds to my entertaining advantage. In my group of friends I thoroughly enjoy guarding them (as a bear, right now a fully grown elk), wherever they stick around in. Sometimes they play as rabbits and I have to hit away just about every NPC that's around just to keep them away. I find it amusing, really. Sometimes I found myself roaring while on the same square as a wolf, and sometimes they'll get out of that square. If not, then I try to hit them, then they run off. Sometimes there's been big predators like wolves or coyotes around, maybe one square away from me, and I would roar, them moving away. I don't know if all of this is a coincidence, but it's fun either way to pretend like it works.
Got #1 high score for goats! Woohoo!
Alrai
Baby Gecko

Post by Alrai »

It would be interesting to hear from WEO if any effects besides gathering the pack are attributed to making noise in the game.
For one thing, hearing the different sounds of a species is essential to becoming more familiar with that species, which WEO is all about, and thus has an educational factor.

Actually, it would also be interesting to know what "WEO is all about". I assumed above that familiarization with various species of animal was one reason. Witnessing the factors that cause individual animals to survive or perish is likely another.. Also the game could simply just be fun. Heh. Anyway, I'm getting off topic.
NatureHeart wrote:It has an advantage. If you hear a wolf howl as a mouse, would you continue on right next to it? No. It would alert you that it was there if you didn't see it. Wolves and coyotes can cal their packs, or come to lone howls to add to the pack. It is like real life! :3
I find that the sounds in the game are nearly impossible to use to any advantage. A wolf howling in game does not necessarily indicate a wolf howling anywhere near the player, as the sounds don't differentiate based on relative distance or direction of origination. Have you actually found a way to use the sounds in game to your advantage? Most often, I have the sound muted in game. The repetitive sounds of the same animals nearly constantly is to me a nuisance, quite unlike "real life" where there are wide variety of beautiful noises.
"Always be present."
-?
Alias
Baby Mouse

Post by Alias »

You all have very interesting answers :D
I heard somewhere that if you are a rattler and you hiss when a king snake is close by it gives you a chance to escape. Maybe they do have their advantages, but it's not really mentioned anywhere. In the wild, sounds do and mean many things. They should on WEO too.
Right now I'm playing as a king snake, so I've been wondering that if I hiss when a predator was close by, either I would attract it to attack me, or warn it that I'm ready to defend myself. Would be interesting to know how sounds on WEO work ^^
Image Image Image