Backseat Modding

This forum is where you come for help and support with the game and/or forum.

Moderator: Kenya

Quagga
Baby Gecko

Backseat Modding

Post by Quagga »

I'm a bit confused as to what you consider backseat moderating. One place states, "Mini-modding is NOT allowed, helping and telling people the rules of the site is perfectly fine, but you may not tell others what to do." Then, taken directly from your post, "It is much more efficient then posting "oh this is in the wrong spot", "this is against the rules", ect. as that counts as backseat moderating."

I'm infinitely confused as to what we can do. x.x
I know different places will have different rules, but this just confuses me for some reason...
Artwork: Tumblr
Alrai
Baby Gecko

Re: Backseat Modding

Post by Alrai »

I'd like to have this clarified also. c: A blurry concept of 'backseat modding' could hinder our general ability to just help out, eh?
"Always be present."
-?
Kenya
Global Moderator

Post by Kenya »

Alrighty, hopefully I can clarify what backseat moderating would mean on this forum.
Here are some examples of backseat moderating:
~"If you need help, just PM me" or "this topic already exists"
~Creating threads that address the entire community as an Admin/Mod would
~Following people around the forum and telling them to follow the rules or telling them rudely that something is not allowed.
~Posting on threads with comments like: “This thread is pointless”, "I’m going to get a mod", "this topic will be locked soon", or "This topic will be locked when so-in-so comes on"
~PMing a mod telling them how to do their job

WEO and I really do appreciate people trying to help, though there is a fine line between helping and backseat moderating.
If you would like to help, you can always report posts, follow the rules, ect. If someone asks a question regarding the game/forums, you can always answer in a polite and helpful manner, but do try to avoid something like "Uhhh, there's already a thread like this" or "read the rules". You can always encourage them to contact a moderator if needed. I highly recommend that you post a helpful link or something within your post as well.
I have to say, the way to help the most would be reporting the topic/post though the report tool. It takes maybe 1-8 seconds to just click the button, explain whats up and click submit. Hopefully this helps, and if you have a question before posting on if it could be backseat moderating then don't hesitate to contact me. ;)
WEO Moderator since August 31st, 2010

If you need assistance please PM me.
Scarikas
Adult Cardinal

Post by Scarikas »

I am curious and kind've irretated that we can't do any sort of "To let you know" things... I mean, A mod isn't ALWAYS on to solve problems idmediately.
I AM A BANANA.
OFFICIAL FURSONA HERE (I'm finally going to stop changing it)
Click in your free time if you will! ^^
ImageImage
Alrai
Baby Gecko

Post by Alrai »

Kenya wrote: ~Following people around the forum and telling them to follow the rules or telling them rudely that something is not allowed.
So if someone is quite obviously breaking the rules, could we politely tell them that *insert rule violating action here* is not allowed, or would that too be considered backseat moderating?
"Always be present."
-?
Kenya
Global Moderator

Post by Kenya »

Of course, as long as it is polite and isn't sounding like "You broke this rule, so now you're in trouble" kind of thing. I highly recommend reporting that players posts/PMs as well, as an added measure. If anything, I'd say its best to report the post then actually post (since that's our easiest way of keeping track of who breaks what rule and such, so if a warning is needed it's easier to check the Mod logs rather than going through all their posts).
You can always help out, but just double check your post thinking "Would a mod say this in this specific way?" If you think yes, then perhaps rearranging how the words are put, so they seem more friendly and helpful rather than just "this isn't allowed" or "this is pointless". ;)
WEO Moderator since August 31st, 2010

If you need assistance please PM me.
Alexander
Adult Rabbit

Post by Alexander »

I really like this Topic because now I can finally get an idea of what exactly Backseat Moderating is on this forum. It seemed like every little thing a person did to help was considered 'Backseat Moderating'.
If anything now I know that there are complex rules to get around this backseating and to be careful of words.

I really do get the whole 'this Topic is pointless', 'You're gonna get in big trouble', and being rude about it, though. That simply is not allowed.
Got #1 high score for goats! Woohoo!
webearthonline
Global Moderator

Post by webearthonline »

A couple of the main objectives of this forum is to be place where players can get help for the game.
Secondarily it is used to get feedback from the game and to support in game issues.
The environment we intend to create for this is one of cooperation.
So we encourage a respectful exchange of ideas and appreciate players who are able to help other players.
weo