Trolling

Game related announcements.

Moderators: Kenya, webearthonline

Kenya
Global Moderator

Trolling

Post by Kenya »

Hello everyone,
The staff of WEO and I have noticed a considerable amount of trolling going on, mainly between a couple people who will not be mentioned. Trolling is not tolerated on WEO, and punishments for doing so are severe. If you feel you are being a victim of anyone trolling, regardless of the world you're in, please screenshot it and PM Alex or I.

Definition of trolling:
A troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.
It basically means someone who is trying to get a response out of you for fun. If you feel you are being trolled, instead of firing back at them, take a screenshot and move to a different world (preferably world 1).

Trolls and trolling will be dealt with as long as proof is provided. If you have questions, comments or concerns don't hesitate to either post them here or PM Alex or I. Thank you.

Trolling in game would be any actions such as these listed below:
- Killing someone more than once*
- Purposely looking for people to kill in other worlds, not for the needs of your animal(s)
- Purposely trying to get someone enraged
- Ganging up to kill people multiple times
- Stalking, or following, the person throughout the worlds and/or game to hit/kill/annoy them

*By that, if its friends asking to be killed, etc. then it obviously doesn't count. However, if you kill them then they come back and you continue to kill them each time they return, that is trolling.

Of course, offending others and swearing, etc. isn't allowed either and can be reported.
It should be common sense on what is considered trolling within a children's game.
WEO Moderator since August 31st, 2010

If you need assistance please PM me.
Ragdoll
Cardinal Chick

Re: Trolling

Post by Ragdoll »

Hello Kenya :3<3

Now, I'm not saying I agree with what Kazz and/or Fallen are doing, but I am saying I can see both sides of the arguement. Remember those days when I did the same thing? No one had a problem with it, because it was how the rules were. Now, I highly respect you Kenya, and I do believe your just doing what's best for the community, but changing the rules is a bit drastic. In my opinion, I don't think this should be done, but I'm not saying your wrong, because you are right. Maybe you and them can come to an agreement? Maybe something fair. What if you add a rule they can only kill a person 2-3 times, or else it's trolling? I think that would be fair for both parties :3 Oh, also, if you do go through with this after what I've posted, and really I want you to think about, maybe define exactly what trolling is and not "if you feel you are being trolled." Just to prevent a lot of useless reports xD
I do take it killing is still allowed, just not excessive killing?

Just my lowly, peasant opinion xD

C:<3
Image Image
Image Image
Alexander
Adult Rabbit

Post by Alexander »

I see that I must say something here, so excuse me while I put on my wisdom hat. Let me bring you into the full eyes of a moderator. Let me also bring you into the shoes of WEO. Have you understand what we, and the community is going through on this subject. I will bring you facts on our side, and maybe it will help you understand some of our decisions.

Now, into my eyes. I see a community of which is troubled by an act of trolling. It is not 1, or 2, or not nearly even 3 people that are having issues with this subject. A majority of the community, perhaps, is not in favor over this kind of trolling. It is also not one person that is trolling the whole community. If you understand me well, you will see that I stand for the majority of the community. I respect these people that enjoy trolling, as I have talked to most of them. I must say that sometimes a Moderator's duty hovers over that friendship, and I call that the act of enforcing the rules.

Now I would like you to put on WEO's shoes. What do you see? This new thing called trolling. You see that your community and your very trusty Moderator does not enjoy this trolling going around. You are told that not only are there public, but many private reports about them. The players are unhappy, and your duty is to make the majority happy. Now, let us look a little closer, deep thoughts. Alright, so there are maybe three people that have the hobby of trolling your servers. Would you risk disciplining them, hopefully to end their trolling, or risk many players leaving because of what the three are doing to your players? Would you enjoy the thought of these players pretty much making the game unplayable for others, so that it is simply not fun to play anymore? What do you need to keep your servers up, money, how to get it, players, how to keep players, keep them happy.

I hope some of you can at least understand that bit of it. I hope you know that we do our best for our community and we take action when needed. I'm sure you know that it is one thing if Moderators do not approve of this, however WEO being the same way is a huge step. The creator of the game does not approve thus far.
Got #1 high score for goats! Woohoo!
Ragdoll
Cardinal Chick

Post by Ragdoll »

I never said you were in the wrong, Alex<3

I never said anyone was in the wrong, I was just trying to see it from the opposite point of view also. I highly respect your judgement and would never expect that it would be wrong. If you didn't understand that in the previous post, let me say this now. I and, I hope, everyone else will abide by the rules. You are our moderators, and I know your decisions are only to make us happy. Thank you for telling me that though Alex, as it does help me see why this was concluded :3
Image Image
Image Image
Alexander
Adult Rabbit

Post by Alexander »

It was mainly for everyone that would read this, but I hoped it would help you understand a little more too. I know your intentions perfectly, Rag, and I should have put up that it wasn't entirely directed at you. d:
Ragdoll
Cardinal Chick

Post by Ragdoll »

<3

Alex your so amazing, ily :3
Image Image
Image Image
Swifty
Adult Mouse

Post by Swifty »

Kazz asked me to relay this message to this topic. "You've defined the nature of trolling on the forum quite well, however, given the nature the game, are you saying that in-game, trolling is throwing insults and offending people and such? I'm a bit confused.

Also, don't take this as an argument. I find this rule a little vague, and so I'm asking for clarification.

Don't delete my posts only because you don't agree with them please. =\

On a sidenote, I've gotten Swifty to relay the message because the forum seems to be glitching. I'm not getting an activation e-mail when I changed it through my account settings. Think you can fix that so I can stop bugging other people? =P"
There is an undeniable beauty in the color of blood...
dominoandcopper
Adult Bluebird

Post by dominoandcopper »

Trolling is out of hand a bit. I have seen and felt the affects of trolling. When I first joined I had some people who trolled me for a long time, everywhere. I got so exhausted and upset of always running that I almost quit WEO altogether. I agree that those who troll should be punished so that people don't get upset and quit like I almost did.
Kenya
Global Moderator

Post by Kenya »

Kazz's account should be activated now. The forums have been switched to admin-only activation, so she won't be getting an activation email.

Trolling in game would be any actions such as these listed below:
- Killing someone more than once*
- Purposely looking for people to kill in other worlds, not for the needs of your animal(s)
- Purposely trying to get someone enraged
- Ganging up to kill people multiple times
- Stalking, or following, the person throughout the worlds and/or game to hit/kill/annoy them

*By that, if its friends asking to be killed, etc. then it obviously doesn't count. However, if you kill them then they come back and you continue to kill them each time they return, that is trolling.

Of course, offending others and swearing, etc. isn't allowed either and can be reported.
It should be common sense on what is considered trolling within a children's game.

Kazz
Adult Bluebird

Post by Kazz »

Thanks for the activation Kenya ^_^

Ok, that makes more sense.
[Quick sugggestion: maybe put that list up at the top, in the first post, in case somebody else wants clarification.]

But then, what would the difference between world 1, and worlds 2, 3, and 4 be?
Kenya
Global Moderator

Post by Kenya »

Kazz wrote:Thanks for the activation Kenya ^_^

[Quick sugggestion: maybe put that list up at the top, in the first post, in case somebody else wants clarification.]

I'll put it in the post now.
You are still allowed to kill people in Worlds 2, 3 and 4, and you do not have to follow any rules within those worlds except for no swearing/cussing, no rude behavior, and no trolling. Killing someone once then moving on is fine, but killing them multiple times and following them around is not.

webearthonline
Global Moderator

Post by webearthonline »

Kenya wrote:
Kazz wrote:Thanks for the activation Kenya ^_^

I'll put it in the post now.
You are still allowed to kill people in Worlds 2, 3 and 4, and you do not have to follow any rules within those worlds except for no swearing/cussing, no rude behavior, and no trolling. Killing someone once then moving on is fine, but killing them multiple times and following them around is not.
Another way to put this is that harassment isn't tolerated in WEO's policies, and this falls under the definition of harassment.
weo
Kazz
Adult Bluebird

Post by Kazz »

Oh, another question.

I feel that an exception should be made for people that attack you first. It's not uncommon for you to kill one person once, and then have them come back and try to kill you for revenge, (usually by rattlesnake poison).

In such a case, would you have to run, only because you've already killed them once, or are you allowed to fight back? [This is only if they return and attack you first]
Alexander
Adult Rabbit

Post by Alexander »

I personally value the act of defense against someone's revenge as something you can do, as it's clear that the other person wants to PvP, so if you want to do the same thing, you can go right ahead. I think it's more of if somebody tells you to stop, you may want to consider it. If they don't say anything, then I guess that's on them, as communication is a big part of this.
Kazz
Adult Bluebird

Post by Kazz »

Well in my case [I didn't get screenshots so I'm not going to bother mentioning names] he told me to stop attacking him, but he didn't stop attacking me. At one point I did convince him to, but then he started attacking my friend, so I killed him again. He wouldn't stop whining though, saying that I should fight him when he gets stronger. I did tell him I'd stop if he would, but he didn't stop, and just kept complaining that I should let him grow while still attacking my friend and I. [Yeah idk what was going through his head]