Official Story Writing Contest (Winners Announced!)

Game related announcements.

Moderators: Kenya, webearthonline

DarkWolf
Bluebird Chick
Location: In The Woods, Prowling With The Wolves - Hunting...

Re: Official Story Writing Contest

Post by DarkWolf »

( out of curiosity when EXACTLY is the new due date??
here is mine anyway, i dont want to miss it :) )

I opened my eyes lazily, the light blinding me; it's warm haze drifting down into the den, almost testing the inside to see if anything lived within its dark depths. l I yipped loudly in protest, answered by five other pups creating a chorus of yips and yelps. A bark of joy told us our mother was returning with meat to quieten our song of food lust, which only continued louder in protest. I scampered ahead of my siblings to the entrance of the den, where i knew i would get the most food to satisfy my needs. Jumping up, i managed to bite a large leg of a rabbit for myself. Walking to a quiet corner alone, i watched the other pups eat their fill before eating my own. i always watched them eat, as a way of thanking my mother and father for such kind, wonderful siblings. Gulping down the goodness that i needed to grow, i growled playfully and pounced on my brother, SpringBreeze. Tugging on his right ear playfully as i leaped, earning a yelp and a growl from him as he turned, crouched down low poised to strike like a rattlesnake stalking it's prey before it bites. Twisting away i avoided his lunge, nipping at his hackles with an excited yip. Suddenly, a low mournful howl met our ears which we all responded to with our own, we all ran to the entrance of the den to investigate. Adult wolves crowded around an omega which my mother knew well so we often saw him in the den. The scout barked out his news to the other adults in a hurry before the beta told him to take a deep breath, as the scout breathed in deeply before talking clearly our view was blocked by 3 other curious wolves. As the adult wolves conversed, we listened carefully to see what had happened.
"There's been an attack..."
"StrongHowl Injured badly ..."
"An ambush from the eastern pack..."
We all whimpered as our father was mentioned, having rumored to be injured. We sadly crawled out to see our mother alone, probably grieving the known death of my father silently. I walked alone up to her and nuzzled her, whimpering and whining to comfort her out of her silent shell. Mother often had a soft spot for me as i reminded her so much of father, having the same pelt and eye colour as him- we were practically identical. I let out a small pain filled howl to comfort her and my family, i was soon joined slowly by the pack. We soon created a slow, sad song throughout the forest as we had lost our one and only friend and father...

(431 words and 2301 characters, i hope this is OK.... im not too proud of it and think it can have some tweaking but meh who cares xD) :roll:
Last edited by DarkWolf on Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kenya
Global Moderator

Post by Kenya »

Are there any more entries? Please post your entry by January 1st, as the contest will officially close then. Would love to see some more entries, remember you can win a free advanced game for 2 weeks!
WEO Moderator since August 31st, 2010

If you need assistance please PM me.
sparkwolf111
Baby Gecko

Post by sparkwolf111 »

Wow, wish I knew about this before xD, definitely gonna post a story. :)
Number 1 rabbit. My in-game name is keyin.
sparkwolf111
Baby Gecko

Post by sparkwolf111 »

My story is based upon many, many experiences starting as an infant as one of the animals lower on the food chain than most. It deals with the un-avoidable genocide of animals after they first mature, and instinct. The gender and species I have tried to leave up to interpretation, but is one of theese animals: gecko, mouse, or rabbit.
I don't think it's nearly as good as darkwolf's, but I figured i'd giv it a shot anyway.

Story:
We no longer required our parents efforts to sustain our lives. We could sense it. My siblings and I began to glare at each other in anticipation for adult hood. We all wanted to vacate our earthy abode, but we stalled for the proper moment. Something clicked in the mind of my brother, Owera. He bounded up the hole as fast as his legs could carry him. My other siblings and I soon felt his excitement tingling through our veins and swarmed after him. I felt an extremely large adrenaline rush, the rush of freedom. We all had great hopes for our future lives, full of family, warmth, and happiness. What fools we were to think that life was so straightforward! Little did we know, the predators were anticipating our course of action. Our cries of elation and excitement soon became cries of horror and dread. The horrible hungry hawks descended upon us and attacked with deadly accuracy. We panicked. Owera was the first to die.The hawk clawed him to death within a minute of our quest for freedom. Marion was next, a rattle snake poisoned her. Soon I was the only one remaining. I retreated to our deserted den, the place of our birth. I had been so eager to grow up and leave the nest, but now i mourned for my childhood. I mourned for the time when we played together and our lives were care free. I promised myself I would never have children, for I didn't want them to go through the mental trauma that i've endured. Nothing could overpower the intense grief I was experiencing. Or so I thought. I would have sat there mourning until death, had it not been for a new feeling I had. I felt the need to go out into the world and find a mate. It was an feeling stronger than all others. More powerful than hunger. More powerful than thirst. More powerful than fear.I didn't completely understand this feeling, but I was ready and willing to find a mate, or die trying.
DarkWolf
Bluebird Chick

Post by DarkWolf »

That's really good! :D
Last edited by DarkWolf on Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
hoopyscoop
Adult Gecko

Post by hoopyscoop »

I am just gonna warn you right now. This is very bad.

This is my story.
I woke up to complete and utter darkness yet again... Oh well, it doesn’t matter. It’s always this way... I poked at the walls of my prison, because maybe, JUST maybe, I could escape and be free. Just when I had given up, a beam of light shined through my prison, I looked up and there was a hole! I continued to peck at it, until it got big enough to squeeze out of, I poked my head out first and looked around, I saw a warm nest, and what seemed to be a blue fluffy thing. Whatever it was, I still felt safe here, I climbed out of my prison, and suddenly a pink line was dropped in front of me, my instinct told me to eat it, I slowly lowered my head to the ground, about to eat it, when suddenly one of the other tiny blue things, ate it right from under my nose. “Kiri!” A tall figure with more duller coloring called out, “That was for your sister!” She chirped angrily at the smaller blue thing. Suddenly, a larger, older looking figure came in, he cleaned the duller one’s feathers, and then turned to me, “Hello, little one, I am your father, and this is your mother, your a blue bird. Your name is Flower.” He said, before dropping a beetle in front of me, and flying out, I ate the beetle before it could be stolen from me, and then looked up at my ‘mother’ as she was called, “Mother, will I be able to do what he just did?” I asked curiously, “Oh, no, not until your older.” She chirped back, before settling in the back of the nest, patiently waiting for my father, I slowly walked(the best a hatchling bird could, that is) over to the hole, and looked outside, there was my father, collecting berries, all of a sudden I heard a hissing sound, I looked around my home, nothing, I turned around to see what mother thought, and just as I opened my beak, something grabbed me and put so much pressure on my tiny body I thought I would burst, I tried my best to get out of my attacker’s grasp, but it was no use, my mother couldn’t help me, she was backed up against the wall, watching me get squeezed to death, as if she didn’t care. Suddenly, she quickly glided over and pecked at my attacker, they hissed and whipped around and bit my mother on the head. I looked over at her, she was stunned, she couldn’t help me now. I finally gave in, I didn’t want to die, but I had no choice.. I definitely wasn’t going to get out of this grasp, so I relaxed my body, and allowed my self to die, finally, it was too hard to breath, so I took my last breath, and then I was gone.

492 words. :) I love to write, but I never really share my books. Everybody else’s is amazing! Great job, guys! :D
Icon = Fluttershy = not mine.
DarkWolf
Bluebird Chick

Post by DarkWolf »

yay! another contestant with yet another brilliant story! cant wait for the results!
NatureHeart
Cardinal Chick

Post by NatureHeart »

This story is about bullying and neglect, both I don't just frown upon, but act upon. This story is to show what the higher forms of bullying can do. Before you begin reading, the calf's mother is a real player. A person who is probably bullied in the real world, who bullies fake creatures in result of their pain. Bullying is bad, and shouldn't happen. I am showing the pain of specifically high-school bullying, which I know can get truly out of hand. At the end, everyone is afraid to speak up, a problem many schools have. By not speaking up for someone in need, you can make their lives miserable. The calve's name is supposed to reflect a nickname a bully may give to a child at school, such as Wimpiam, instead of William. If I were to give this calf a real name, it would be Colby. :)

PLEASE speak up if you see bullying happening. Tell someone! Defend the victim! Do SOMETHING! Please. :)

---------------

The bitter cold nipped at Porkchop as he walked through the snow. His mother took the lead, guiding the herd where she wanted to go. This winter was by far the worst. None have been so brutal, so cold. Every bit of food died, as well as all the nice calves. The weak ones. He was sure to be next.
"Hey Porkchop!" a male calf bellowed. He had a smirk on his face, despite the frosty wind. "Too cold for ya?"
Determined not to show his weakness and give in, he trudged on harder.
He was always picked on. His name that his mother gave him showed her disgrace, and neglect she was bound to show him. She never talked. She never seemed to listen. Her daughter was given the name "Delores," and was never treated with such cruelty. She was never made fun of, and was constantly chased by the bull calves. Everyone loved her.
Porkchop, on the other hand, was bullied, beaten, starved, ignored, and has been since he was born. He was the weakest of the herd, and the lowest ranked.
His thoughts of neglect were abruptly interrupted as the shrill cry of a cow elk calf echoed through the forest. A part of his sister's entourage was being attacked by a lone coyote. It's savage fangs ripped into her flesh. The lead bull of the herd, his disowning father, raced over to fight it off, along with his mother. All of the bull calves raced over to make all the noise they could to make it seem as though the entire herd were after the canine. Porkchop could hardly squeak.
Right after the calf was tended to, the bullies trotted over to the weakest calf. "We didn't see you help defend Marie." the highest of them all spoke. His name was Redleaf. He was tall and the best-fed. He has a much less ragged coat than Porkchop did. "I think I know what you deserve..." Horror fled through the terribly-named calf as the other reared into the air, ready to bash Porkchop with his hooves. Just as Porkchop mumbled his last words, a savage bark spooked Redleaf, sending his tumbling backwards into the knee-deep snow.
Gasping and now completely frightened, Porkchop turned his head around. The tallest fox he had ever seen stood only a few leaps away. It's drool pooled onto the ground and it's ribs bulged from it's body. It's eyes were glazed with hunger. He heard the chuckling of Redleaf as he backed away. "If you will to live," he challenged, "Show it."
And just like that, he knew he was doomed. Pain pierced his leg and he saw Redleaf smirking. Some of the other calves looked a little disturbed, but didn't protest against his death. Delores gazed at him and the fox calmly, and didn't look away, or even blink. The adult elk stared after. A few cows slowly approached, but decided he was to die anyway.
And so did he. Porkchop knew a better place awaited him. Everything would be perfect. Along with his name. He was no longer Porkchop, but Colby. He was to join the nice calves. The ones that didn't make it in this cruel world. He was one of them, now. All his burdens were lifted, and all bad deeds against him were forgiven. Summoning all of his energy, he called out as loud as he could, "Even though I was ill treated," he smiled, "I'll miss you."
Coats
Baby Mouse

Post by Coats »

Instinct
  • If there is one constant in our short lives, it is that we are beasts of burden. Weighted by our instincts to rule and kill, I’ve never known a wolf that wasn’t as driven to succeed as any other. We have an insatiable desire to be the best so that we can reap the riches of what it means to be number one. It’s inescapable; to fight instinct is to fight the very flow of blood in your veins. I presume that is how we ended up here. Our predicament of a summer full of skinny bodies and hollow stomachs has driven us to the edge, with only instinct left to guide us.

I see Apollo, my father, move before anyone else. He begins with a quickened trot, his head down as he continues to watch the nervous elk herd before us. The shriek of an elk’s bugle pierces our ears and the mass of brown hides sounds like thunder as they flee. Apollo wastes no time breaking into a run. My mother, Deneb, follows with equal verve. I'm left standing there, watching as my family charges into battle. My father’s words from earlier loop in my head like the endless call of a mother who has lost their child.

We fight today or starve tomorrow,” his voice had never held so much determination. I still can't decide if it’s from his desire to prove he is not a failure at preserving his family or if he wants to reflect that his place as number one is still the right choice for our small group. If there is one thing I can decide on, however, it’s that he’s right. We'll starve if we let our fear of failure keep us from trying.

My paws beat the hot ground as I follow my family. I catch up only in time to watch Father throw himself at the only foolish elk that has stood his ground. A bull, with a hardened rack of jagged antlers, faces us with indignation. As if to question our right to disrupt his calm afternoon, he stands before us like we are nothing. And that’s enough to make my blood run cold.

I know we would never take on this animal under normal circumstances, but we are starving. My family would rather die trying than let their stomachs howl until they'd find silence in a grave. It’s only me who has any problem in this suicide. I’m young, naïve even, and I can't help but doubt. Mother lunges as soon as the bull knocks back my father. We are goners, aren’t we? I stare, wide-eyed at the huge animal before me. My mother has locked her jaws around its throat but I am still immobilized by my fear. Her small victory means nothing. My father tries again to help by clamping onto the elk’s front leg. I can't find the instinct within me that makes them so willing to die.

I stand before them in silence.
Word Count: 499 Words
sparkwolf111
Baby Gecko

Post by sparkwolf111 »

Wow coats, your story is extremely well written. I think you have the best story so far. :wink:
NatureHeart
Cardinal Chick

Post by NatureHeart »

Everyone's entry is great in my eyes! ^-^ Coats, yours is wonderful! You are a very talented writer! :)
Cheer up!
Be silly!
♥ And fly! ♥
Foxesrule
Cardinal Chick

Post by Foxesrule »

Although right now I've only skim-read the entries, keep up the good work, they're all looking great! =D
Your neighbourhood moderator.
Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or just want to chat. c:
what am i doing with my life..?
WildLife
Baby Mouse
Location: Wherever mah wolfy takes meh. Maybe to Burger king :D

Post by WildLife »

Life of a blue bird.
My eyes opened quickly, something cold touched me, and It didn't stop. It hit me, and made of sort of whistling noise. It sounded so peaceful... I also heard a sort of 'Chirp' noise outside, along with longer chirps, sounding more like flutes. I saw one of the large things that made the 'Chirp' sound leave, and a few of the tiny versions of it whined. As soon as it came back, I instinctively yelled, "Daddy!" He cleaned me, and dropped something. I ate it, as it was my instinct, and it tasted wonderful. It was pink, and it was wiggly! I ate it, but soon all of the other ones copied me, and took them away from me. After a few days, I learned new words. I was called a 'Blue bird', and the big ones were my 'Mother and Father', and the little ones were also 'Blue birds'. I then saw the outside, It was so... wide. I saw endless amounts of food, but soon realized if I were to leave, I couldn't train. I then attacked my sister, Chani. I soon won, and picked her up. I hopped out of the tree, and saw so much! I then saw a small den, and walked in. My sister was curious as well, and looked at the little brown creatures. They had worm like tails, and they made little noises that hurt to listen to. It sounded like 'Squeak'. I put down my sister, and went out to find food for her and me. I found lots of ants, and began to pick one up. They were so DELICIOUS! I picked up one, and ate some. As I finished, a large thing looked down at me. It had large ears, and it had black spots on it and it was brown! It almost hit me, and I ran back to the weird worm tail things den. I left after a bit, and got another ant. The brown thing left, and I fed Chani. I began to fight with her, my strength raising. I felt so powerful, and I eventually got half of my strength bar up. I then left, and I instinctively ate some grey stuff I found. Then, I did 'dirt'. I felt alot better, then licked some red and orange stuff. I almost got killed by the brown thing. I felt something happen as I lifted my wings up just as my parents did. I was lifting up, and I began to soar. It was so fun! Chani was fine, I think. I soared down, and began to eat. Then, I felt something around me. It got tighter and tighter. I pecked it, but it just wouldn't stop! I had no breath, and it began to put me in its mouth. I felt hurt, and then, I saw some light. It was... bright... I went to it, and I saw a snowy place. It had the big brown thing, and we talked. It told me its name was Greenleaf, and was a Bob cat. We played, and played, and played. Afterwards, I lived the life of freedom.
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.
I am.
hoopyscoop
Adult Gecko

Post by hoopyscoop »

Everyone’s story is simply amazing! ^-^
Last edited by hoopyscoop on Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Icon = Fluttershy = not mine.
Foxesrule
Cardinal Chick

Post by Foxesrule »

THIS IS NOW CLOSED FOR JUDGING
Your neighbourhood moderator.
Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or just want to chat. c:
what am i doing with my life..?